• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Kind of bummed to see McBride leave Legacy. I will miss watching him throw Clutches, but he can probably do amazing things with a DD putter, too. This feels like a very good pickup for DD as they continue to grow on the MPO side.

Dollar just announced he's not throwing Lat 64 this year. Any guesses for where he's going?

Maybe MVP is going to pick up another touring caliber pro? He worked with them pretty closely for his B-tier and the US mini championships.

Nikko had a stint with MVP, too? Who hasn't that guy been sponsored by for a time?

Yeah, seems he pulled some drama about wanting early release of the photon before it was released to the public

...but man could he bomb the motion

McBride to DD seems like a hit to Legacy, assuming that going forward they want to have talent on their team that can compete during the tour events. I know they have Hokom, but for guys they would only have the boss man himself, Steve Rico, and it seems like he has taken a bit of a step back from the more serious touring.

Too bad, legacy has some good plastic. I enjoy their slow and steady approach to developing molds compared to other companies like trilogy that seem to bank on pumping out tons of plastic in a shotgun approach to see what works and to constantly sell on the hype of a new disc. But, that strategy probably works because they seem to have plenty of money to throw around now.

And they allowed access to a somewhat open bag.

McBride to DD seems like a hit to Legacy, assuming that going forward they want to have talent on their team that can compete during the tour events. I know they have Hokom, but for guys they would only have the boss man himself, Steve Rico, and it seems like he has taken a bit of a step back from the more serious touring.

Too bad, legacy has some good plastic. I enjoy their slow and steady approach to developing molds compared to other companies like trilogy that seem to bank on pumping out tons of plastic in a shotgun approach to see what works and to constantly sell on the hype of a new disc. But, that strategy probably works because they seem to have plenty of money to throw around now.

AJ Risley had an awesome 2017, finding himself competing on lead cards at Majors, DGPT, NTs and A tiers.

AJ Risley had an awesome 2017, finding himself competing on lead cards at Majors, DGPT, NTs and A tiers.

That is true. I guess I would rather have McBride rather than Risley. It seems like McBride has more potential and has a game that is ascending much faster than Risley, but that is just my opinion from watching tourney coverage for the past few years. I know you are more plugged into the scene, Dana.

From what I've seen, Risley won't compete regularly with the big names. I would be happy to be wrong on that one. He seems like a good representative for Legacy.

AJ had a breakout season and it's only going to get better. He did complete at the biggest events on the biggest cards already this year.

Regularly though? I don't know. Make a list of the top 15 guys, Wysocki, McBeth, Sexton, Lizzote, Dickerson, Philo, Koling, fill the list out to 15 however you like. Maybe even 20 guys. If most of those guys are playing in a big event then I don't give anyone else much of a chance to win that event.

AJ isn't one of those guys IMO, and I don't think he will be. To be fair, I don't think McBride is quite yet one of those guys either, but I think his game is closer to that high level and I think he has a higher ceiling than AJ.

It seems like McBride has more potential and has a game that is ascending much faster than Risley, but that is just my opinion from watching tourney coverage for the past few years.

The numbers kinda say otherwise, at least over the past few years, in terms of perhaps whose game is "ascending faster."

McBride started 2016 rated at 1012, is currently rated at 1016, and his lowest and highest ratings from January 2016 to now are 1007 and 1018--a range of 11 ratings points.

Risley started 2016 rated at 986, is currently rated at 1008, and his lowest and highest ratings from January 2016 to now are 986 and 1008--a range of 22 ratings points.

I'm not going to make a graph but one player's ratings have been basically stagnant (but obviously still quite good) for the last two years while the other player's rating has done nothing but improve.

They're both still pretty young and clearly both have potential to keep improving--I wouldn't be surprised if they do. It's hard to tell who might have more potential.

Anyway, this is just one way to think about it.

McBride ratings history: https://www.pdga.com/player/34463/history
Risley ratings history: https://www.pdga.com/player/25890/history

McBride to DD is good business. His ceiling is high and I think will only get more consistent in his play. I was starting to wonder if they would have a marquee male signing this year. The whole "team trilogy" thing is fizzling out as the disc lineups continue to grow and they can no longer keep associating from a distance when Ricky wins. Putting extra resources behind Pierce and McBride seems like a solid bet for the 2018 season.

Those are fine points. I'm not looking at the numbers, just looking at their games. It seems like McBride's mental game is better and Risley's driving form seems goofy to me, clunky, like his game needs a lot more work before he can regularly play with the big boys. McBride just seems closer for this reason.

To keep things in perspective, I fully know that the game over the past 6-7 years is full of guys with lots of potential that didn't make it for one reason or another. As you say, colucc43, hard to tell who might have more potential.

Those are fine points. I'm not looking at the numbers, just looking at their games. It seems like McBride's mental game is better and Risley's driving form seems goofy to me, clunky, like his game needs a lot more work before he can regularly play with the big boys. McBride just seems closer for this reason.

To keep things in perspective, I fully know that the game over the past 6-7 years is full of guys with lots of potential that didn't make it for one reason or another. As you say, colucc43, hard to tell who might have more potential.

Goofy? He's rigid, fersure (I "suffer" from the same pre-cocked reach back), but looking at, let's say, Anthon and his twinkle toe run-up (a pre-cocker as well, to some degree) or someone who flails like Conrad, AJ's movements seem efficient by comparison. Goofy in his unobtrusiveness?

There are many ways to skin a cat in this game, and the aesthetics of your driving or putting style don't limit your potential.

Example of Conrad driving, then AJ teeing off right after: https://youtu.be/CHBlYCrHpeM?t=48s

Goofy or different can work for sure, and you give some examples of how it can work, but AJ has to prove that it can work. I'm no form expert for sure, but I am not just talking about aesthetics.

Let me put it this way, if you didn't know anything about either McBride or Risley and just saw them each drive a few times, who would you pick to win? This goes for other parts of their game as well, isolating and examining each bit. Like I said, it just seems like McBride is more poised to make a leap up compared to Risley.

Hmm, maybe I have to walk some of this back. Does McBride have a forehand? Does Risley? Perhaps I am just being dumb here.

Goofy or different can work for sure, and you give some examples of how it can work, but AJ has to prove that it can work. I'm no form expert for sure, but I am not just talking about aesthetics.

Let me put it this way, if you didn't know anything about either McBride or Risley and just saw them each drive a few times, who would you pick to win?

McBride.

Latest posts