• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Whatta a weird sport this is. Disc golf is the only sport I can think of outside of racing where people care SO much about who sponsors who. Even in racing, no one cares nearly as much as disc golfers do about sponsorships. And I think I've said this before but I also find it rather amusing there are so many dg'ers who feel they are entitled to know what what the dollar value is of these sponsorships. It's none of our business.

And here we have entire threads dedicated to this.

We're so used to hearing the numbers from just about every other sport...heck, the old lumberjack competitions on ESPN at 2am would mention them.
Off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time coming up with 'alternative' sports that the stars don't have public deals.

...plus it gives us the opportunity to yell "You're making xx billion and you missed that open receiver in the flat??!?! COME ON!!"

We're so used to hearing the numbers from just about every other sport...heck, the old lumberjack competitions on ESPN at 2am would mention them.
Off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time coming up with 'alternative' sports that the stars don't have public deals.

...plus it gives us the opportunity to yell "You're making xx billion and you missed that open receiver in the flat??!?! COME ON!!"

Tournament winnings are public. Sponsorship deals in other sports are rarely public.

Well I don't watch lumberjack comps haha.

The numbers we're used to hearing are where sports have strong player unions and are signing with teams. You'll find out how much Aaron Rogers got for signing with the Packers but not how much he's getting for making annoying State Farm ads. In the PGA it was public knowledge how much Tiger made for winning a Major but we never found out the details of his deal with Buick.

Disc Golf is different from many other sports in that there is a limited stream of income from any other sources BESIDES the disc mfrs.
In a sense, the disc mfrs become the "team" (Cowboys, Reds, Lakers, etc) and that is why, I think, so much attention is given to sponsorships.
As the sport grows, that may change. But until the money starts flowing in from other sources, the disc mfrs will be (and largely control) the identity of the sport.

In the PGA it was public knowledge how much Tiger made for winning a Major but we never found out the details of his deal with Buick.

Took two seconds to find that -

He also earned it through lucrative endorsement deals with companies like Nike, Monster Energy and Bridgestone Golf. According to Forbes, $1.3 million of Woods' earnings last year came from his salary and winnings, and the remaining $42 million came from sponsorships.Aug 10, 2018

I'm not saying we should know, I'm saying we know in many many many other sports.

Your point about the union brings something else to mind - it's actually good for the players to know what each others' deals are so they are in a better position to negotiate.
We all know McB got a million $ two-year deal, but that's the exception. There is no other McB in terms of 'name' and moving product. However, if Ricky posts more wins one year and his sales are over 1/2 what McB's are, he can rightfully go to Innova and say "I'm worth at least half that."

The US isn't like many other countries I've worked with in taht regard. We are HIGHLY discouraged to discuss compensation (by bosses of course) but in Manila, for example, it would be a regular topic of conversation even in public places like the elevator.

Whatta a weird sport this is. Disc golf is the only sport I can think of outside of racing where people care SO much about who sponsors who. Even in racing, no one cares nearly as much as disc golfers do about sponsorships. And I think I've said this before but I also find it rather amusing there are so many dg'ers who feel they are entitled to know what what the dollar value is of these sponsorships. It's none of our business.

I guess the difference in disc golf is that these sponsorships are not just advertising stickers, they affect the essential equipment that the players compete with, and how they approach their games. I suppose it's more akin to drivers changing car manufacturers, or golfers changing club manufacturers, except that discs still make more of a concrete and highly visible difference. Questions like 'what would Conrad do without his Aviars', or 'what would McBeth do with a Zone' are not really applicable or interesting in other sports' sponsorships.

Basically it's fun to see what pros can do with or without key discs when changing sponsors, and to see pros compete with the key discs that you already have or want to have in your own bag, and those seem pretty unique to disc golf.

Your point about the union brings something else to mind - it's actually good for the players to know what each others' deals are so they are in a better position to negotiate.
We all know McB got a million $ two-year deal, but that's the exception. There is no other McB in terms of 'name' and moving product. However, if Ricky posts more wins one year and his sales are over 1/2 what McB's are, he can rightfully go to Innova and say "I'm worth at least half that."

The US isn't like many other countries I've worked with in taht regard. We are HIGHLY discouraged to discuss compensation (by bosses of course) but in Manila, for example, it would be a regular topic of conversation even in public places like the elevator.

Yet is not good from the sponsors view, for negotiations.

If one follows particular profession disc golf players, it will probably be important to know the disc brand(s) sponsoring those players. Because, each player will then be limited to using the discs from that sponsor. And, as we all know, the materials used in producing discs can be very different by brand.

If each team in Major League Baseball or the NFL could use a brand of baseball/football of their choosing, where each brand would produce the balls using their own proprietary materials, and with specifications that, although restricted, vary according to their own competitive choices, we would then care much more about the sponsoring brands for those teams.

Maybe an analogy to disc golf could be profession cycling. Would one rather be sponsored by Trek or by Huffy?

I agree with you about contract dollar value questions. Not my business.

Besides, BBQ was so 2020. 2021 is all about dem' pork chops mmmm.

I think you mean BBQ pork chops....

and Hot Chicken.

Also to stay on point.. how about that one player that left that one company and went to another one...... I bet they like BBQ.

*shrug*

In DG the primary sponsor is more akin to what "team" they're playing for, IMO. I root for Prodigy players like I root for Tennessee teams.

Fans generally pay a lot of attention to what sticks are being swung by which players in Golf... and what ball they are hitting. The amount they get paid for those things usually isn't known most of the time.

The bigger the deal, the more chance of knowing it though... they seem to make it clear from one side or the other.

In racing teammates work together so it does matter who is on what equipment.

Brodie can't draft for Mcbeth.

Latest posts