• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I highly doubt that. Discmania put their first disc out in the fall of 2006. Will was still a barely-known regional phenom (14 years old, at the end of 2006 he had 3 1000 rated rounds to his name in 1 year as a PDGA member, high of 1023). Looking at archive.org it appears he was added to the Innova Scout Team in October 2007, or near that time (not on the website in October - on it in early November).

So if Will was with Discmania before Innova it was as a 940s-960s rated 14 year old in Tennessee at a time when their only offerings were the CD, MD1, P1, P2. It isn't impossible that he was with Discmania first, but it would be a huge surprise to me - I doubt they were scouting juniors in the Appalachia area at that time.

Schusterick's first USDGC was Oct 2007 so thats probably when/where he got on the Innova team

Looks like 2011 was the first DM team signings of Seppo Paju & Leo Piironen. Simon joined in 2013. https://www.discmania.net/blogs/discover/team-discmania-2011-first-signings

Seems like they were mostly a secondary sponsor to U.S. Team Innova players like Schusterick/Avery Jenkins/McBeth/Sexton up until 2015 when Eagle signed on. I remember hearing that Schusterick helped in testing the PD (maybe just the first run C-Line?) and he got a small commemorative run of C-line PDs for his 2010 USDGC win. This DM post recognized a 2011 win https://www.discmania.net/blogs/discover/team-discmania-victorious-on-tour-last-weekend and this interview was after his 2012 USDGC win https://www.discmania.net/blogs/dis...ed-states-disc-golf-champion-will-schusterick.

Yeah back in the day Discmania was pretty much Innova Europe. I believe Jussi was the European distributor, and very well may still be? Didn't he own the Innovastore website?

You'd see Innova players also sponsored by DM, there wasn't really much of a line drawn between the two companies.

Rumor and poor humor has it that Buhr's new signature disc will be a 5 speed distance driver called the Sloth that he still throws 525'. Production is being delayed due to shifting winds in the industry and external noise.
If there was a DGCR awards banquet that rewarded best posts, and there was a humor category, this would end 2023 as one of the favorites among the nominees.

Question for you all:

Why do you think that most sports teams (outside of traditional ones like Yankees. Cowboys, etc.) make small tweaks/changes to their uniforms every 5-7 years?

Question for you all:

Why do you think that most sports teams (outside of traditional ones like Yankees. Cowboys, etc.) make small tweaks/changes to their uniforms every 5-7 years?

To sell more merch?

Same as why we have 3rd/alternate jerseys. Any excuse to create a variation is enough. The White Sox wear green for St Paddy's day and those are hot sellers.

Yeah back in the day Discmania was pretty much Innova Europe. I believe Jussi was the European distributor, and very well may still be? Didn't he own the Innovastore website?

You'd see Innova players also sponsored by DM, there wasn't really much of a line drawn between the two companies.

Yes to pretty much all. (The parent company was actually called Innova Champion Europe for a long time, and changed only semi recently)

Nate Perkins to Clash Discs it seems - maybe an open bag?

331042381_695553939028546_311002695405493213_n.jpg

I would short the Gannon Buhr sponsorship ROI for sure.

But good for him to get that $$$ while he can.

Question for you all:

Cash Grab.

Question for you all:

Aside from the "money" responses, and speaking only from a hockey fan's perspective, many teams tweak their jerseys whenever the league switches jersey manufacturers. When the NHL switched to the Reebok Edge jerseys in 2006 a lot of teams' looks changed pretty drastically, and changed, but not as drastically, when Adidas took over a few years ago.

Gannon is obviously going to Discmania.

That's probably why they worked out the 1 Million deal with Simon and MVP, so that they could fulfill the negotiations/deal they already had on the table.

MVP is basically sponsoring Buhr.

Question for you all:

To piss off Three Putt.

Last edited:
I am betting they don't want new players throwing innova made molds, curious to see how that goes. They are lacking a pro level OS Distance driver currently with the bet bets being beefy runs of DD3...

I am also guessing he would putt links. Part the same reasoning and part the link is more stable and pa3 shaped.

Has babcock come out with any promotional stuff yet or an ITB?

Or, Discmania announces the Buhr signing by releasing the new PD2.

For those of you who know Buhr better, what is his signature shot and what is the disc for it? (please tell me about the disc, speed, profile, flight etc, and dont just drop the Prodigy Battleship coordinates for me)

Just thinking what would be the perfect DM signature mold for him I dont know his game all that much, other than the putting is out of this world and he is no slouch in other shots either.

For those of you who know Buhr better, what is his signature shot and what is the disc for it? (please tell me about the disc, speed, profile, flight etc, and dont just drop the Prodigy Battleship coordinates for me)

Just thinking what would be the perfect DM signature mold for him I dont know his game all that much, other than the putting is out of this world and he is no slouch in other shots either.

He throws putters and mids quite a bit, and flex forehands something stable, I think the A2. Probably the MD3 and Tactic would be solid, but the A2 is more stable than the Tactic, probably more stable than the Razor Claw 4 too. Ok, so I'm watching his in the bag and the M4 is the mid he throws the most. Seems like the FD fits well in the FX2 slot. He throws the F7, which is like the Essence. H1 is like a Splice maybe, or PD2. And he throws a lot of D1 D2 and D3 drivers, so Discmania driver line should be an easy transition.

Of all those discs, I have a an A2, D2, and used to have a D3. I can't speak for the feel of the rest of them, besides extreme flashing whenever I pick one up in a shop.

Last edited:
I would short the Gannon Buhr sponsorship ROI for sure.

But good for him to get that $$$ while he can.

He's personable, very young, and very very very good. IMO he stands the chance of being worth more to a manufacturer than anyone other than Paul out of the current crop of players. Unless you are Lizotte it is all about winning a Worlds though.

Presuming Gannon is going to Discmania they look well positioned to have someone break through and get a WC between Eagle, Klein, and Buhr.

Discmania just got an MD5 approved on 2/13/23, but looking further back to 11/28/22 they got approved 4 other new molds. FD1, CD1, Tailor and the DD1, which could be an answer to the high speed overstable slot. See specs below:

Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 1.5cm
Rim Depth: 1.1cm
Rim Thickness: 2.2cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.8cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.2%
Rim Configuration: 30.75
Flexibility: 8.30kg