• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I think the prodigy boys will drive a lot of the offseason moves. Alden would be a great pick up for just about anybody. Lot of young talent that you'd have to assume was signed to shorter term and fairly inexpensive deals. I think during various interviews pretty much all of them have implied they like playing for Prodigy and feel loyal for taking a chance on them early…but we all know money talks.

Clemons is interesting. At this point he's a tour veteran, pretty solid but not top tier elite talent but will pop off a couple times a year with top 5 finishes. I know everybody was surprised Oakley left DD, maybe they're gonna trim their team either as directed by HoD or to free up money for another larger signing.

I think he'd be a good value signing for somebody, maybe he'll go the same route and do a mixed sponsorship like Oakley. I know it shouldn't matter, but I could see a manufacturer wanting a lefty promoting plastic…maybe a couple models that would get some extra love that don't otherwise.

Side note about mixed sponsorships. Dave Mac at Gateway had talked about that being the future like 10+ years ago. Now that they've got some more consistent premium plastic blends and some newer molds that supposedly fly great I'd love to see somebody on tour throwing some of their stuff.

My opinion on House Of Discs and sponsorships. I think HOD is more of an "umbrella" company and won't be sponsoring anyone. They will leave sponsorships to the brands they "own".

But they could chose to do sponsorships and allow players to bag discs from any of the brands they "own".

I'm not sure how much they really own of the brands...it might just be a co-ownership type of thing where they provide financial support, but let the brands do their own thing - that's why I use "own".

I agree HoD probably will keep business as usual as far as sponsorships staying within brands (or trilogy).

I think the major concern regarding them is being a venture capital firm if they say hey you're not profitable enough, we're gonna save money by slashing your sponsorship budgets.

From that perspective I wouldn't be surprised if they start scrutinizing who they're paying and what those players are really providing in return.

I agree HoD probably will keep business as usual as far as sponsorships staying within brands (or trilogy).

I think the major concern regarding them is being a venture capital firm if they say hey you're not profitable enough, we're gonna save money by slashing your sponsorship budgets.

From that perspective I wouldn't be surprised if they start scrutinizing who they're paying and what those players are really providing in return.
It would be interesting to see the contracts and how much control HOD has left the brands. It's possible that HOD can only say....you have to cut expenses X amount...and then the brand has to figure out how to do that - lower sponsorships, get rid of low selling discs, whatever. Or does HOD have control to say how each brand has to make cuts.

Sometimes the VC/financial backer only has the ability to say....you aren't meeting the profitability goals we agreed to...you need to figure things out or I'll void the deal.

My opinion on House Of Discs and sponsorships. I think HOD is more of an "umbrella" company and won't be sponsoring anyone. They will leave sponsorships to the brands they "own".

But they could chose to do sponsorships and allow players to bag discs from any of the brands they "own".

I'm not sure how much they really own of the brands...it might just be a co-ownership type of thing where they provide financial support, but let the brands do their own thing - that's why I use "own".
HOD possesses full ownership of DD and Discmania and a "controlling interest" in Latitude 64. Some of the former owners do hold stock in HOD and have board seats. I agree that their brands will likely continue to sponsor players as normal, after all, HOD is just the owner, not a manufacturer. It would be a similar misnomer to say that Dave Dunipace sponsors Calvin Heimberg. That said, I guess that Buhr signs for one of the various HOD-held properties given HOD announced they are looking to make an infusion in cash in the American market in particular.

I don't follow Prodigy sales much but does Gannon really move a ton of plastic?

If I'm a manufacturer I don't think I'd be willing to give somebody a disc line unless I'm pretty confident in their ability to promote it.

Let's be real, aside from Paul and Paige everybody else's disc lines have kinda been a flop. Simon's will do well once stock molds are actually in stores.
Probably just Eagle worth getting a line of discs at this point that doesn't have one. He has 3 signature molds with DM in the Cloudbreaker/Rainmaker/Razor Claw already so a new sponsor would have to match that I'd think.

Could see Tattar get a signature mold of her own but Trilogy lineup is pretty crowded with tour series/Wysocki molds and Lat64 might be figuring out where it might fit.
Given his antics trying to leave Prodigy (both sides have some fault, IMO), does ANY company really want to sign him for more than a year at a time?
I think he will be pursuing better money contracts at every chance but don't know if there is a desire to risk it every year. I could see 3-4 years this contract with flexibility to leave after 2-3. I think he will aim for a true manufacturer which kinda narrows the list down to Prodigy/MVP/Lat64/Innova/Discraft/Yikun/Lonestar. Since Discraft has a pretty deep team already I don't expect that to be a landing spot. Don't know if Yikun or Lonestar would be in the mix but maybe would offer signature line manufacturing directly. It would be risky to spin up a new company and contract manufacture his own branded disc line but Drew Gibson managed it.

Innova/Lat64 could take on another high ceiling lead card MPO player but I don't think MVP will be in that market again. Prodigy should be in the market but may commit to extending I. Robinson longer term (+already have his signature mold out).

Missy Gannon, Holyn Handley, and Hailey King are all pretty intriguing bets for any company needing FPO presence. I would bet on King being the most likely of the trio to remain with their current sponsor. M. Gannon and Handley both came from Dynamic Discs and who knows if Discraft is able to pay up for both + a Paige Pierce extension to maintain the FPO presence they had going into this year. Could see either of those 2 going to MVP/Trilogy/Prodigy.

First time DGPT/Major event winners from FPO (including Throw Pink, Silver events, and 2023 EuroTour winners) for the 2023 'season':
Macie Velediaz, Maria Oliva, Sai Ananda, Kat Mertsch, Jen Allen, Rachel Turton, Silva Saarinen, Ohn Scoggins, Ali Smith, Heidi Laine, Chantel Budinsky, Ella Hansen, Holyn Handley

First time DGPT/Major event winners from MPO (including Silver events and 2023 EuroTour winners) for the 2023 'season':
Luke Samson, Emerson Keith, Evan Scott, Parker Welck, Niklas Anttila, Corey Ellis, Miro Ryhanen, Andrew Presnell, Cole Redalen, Mauri Villman, Ezra Robinson, Matt Orum

Taking down a win against any of the fields they did is impressive and gives them some leverage in free agency/contract negotiations this 'offseason' or when their current contracts are up. I'm guessing over half will re-up with their current sponsors and should get promotions to touring team level if they aren't already. Ananda wasn't full time touring last year so maybe a win leads to a better sponsorship and will get her to more tour stops. For the Euro players, I think Saarinen, Laine, and Villman all should get longer looks at touring stateside next year with their success and they should seek some additional support from a sponsor this offseason to travel.

Probably just Eagle worth getting a line of discs at this point that doesn't have one. He has 3 signature molds with DM in the Cloudbreaker/Rainmaker/Razor Claw already so a new sponsor would have to match that I'd think.

Don't forget Iron Samurai! :LOL: Basically sacrilege to leave that out.

Don't forget Iron Samurai! :LOL: Basically sacrilege to leave that out.
thats 'just' the MD3 mold though :ROFLMAO: , the ones I listed were tweaked for Eagle off their original models (P2, Tactic, DD3) and have Eagle's signature tooling in the mold next to the Discmania tooling ;)

I hope that everyone who deserves a deal gets one, seems like finances since the covid boom are tighter and teams are cutting back some. Clemons is one of my favorite players and I hope he and other fringe top guys can stay on tour.

Also in regard to Alden, Prodigy needs to keep him if at all possible. He's a big ambassador and moves a ton of discs locally.

If Clemons doesn't get paid I'm going to go full social justice warrior for lefty discrimination.
I hope that everyone who deserves a deal gets one, seems like finances since the covid boom are tighter and teams are cutting back some. Clemons is one of my favorite players and I hope he and other fringe top guys can stay on tour.

Also in regard to Alden, Prodigy needs to keep him if at all possible. He's a big ambassador and moves a ton of discs locally.

thats 'just' the MD3 mold though :ROFLMAO: , the ones I listed were tweaked for Eagle off their original models (P2, Tactic, DD3) and have Eagle's signature tooling in the mold next to the Discmania tooling ;)
Fair point. I hadn't thought of that since the Innova stuff was just stamps. It does seem like most manufacturers would be willing to make creator/signature series for a player of his caliber. Hard to imagine him building a bag from a new company, but I seem to do it every 2 months so...

Maybe onlyfans will be the next major sponsor

LOL, the girl in the video does have an onlyfan from my understanding. She shows up in my "Reels" on Facebook every once in a while. I can't help but watch

Cant find Chantel "Missfrisbee" on Prodigys team page, did she move?
With her following and big win this year it wouldn't be a surprise. I got one of her D2 Pros just in time I guess.

This year might be the opposite of previous few years. With half a dozen good/great players available… imagine a manufacturers saying, "look, Eagle, we like you. We'd rather hire you, but Gannon is a little cheaper, and Goose is a little cheaper still. If you'd come down to $xxxxxx, then you're our guy, otherwise we hire Goose."

Latest posts