• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2024 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Even winning worlds doesnt sell discs. You have to be a cult favorite, not just a fan favorite or likable guy

Ricky doesnt move them like Paul does, Simon sells way more than Ricky I can guarantee that.

Paul can put his name on dog dishes and will sell out.

FTFY . :)

My opinion is that there are very few players who actually "move discs" to any significant degree. They consist of World Champions and maybe a dozen others at this point all of whom are pretty obvious.

This is an exaggeration. It was great to see Isaac win last year, he is super likeable and makes the game look easy when he is on. But his win was an exception rather than the rule for Prodigy, no? I know you are a Prodigy homer, but still one win does not make a dynasty. And definitely have a stable of young talent, all of whom are capable of winning. I'd love to Ezra continue his trajectory. But I think my comparison to the Expos is suitable.

Conrad won World's but I think he is more known for the Shot than being a world champion, and I don't think too many people think of MVP as a breeding ground for World Champions because of it.

Last edited:
It was good to see Parker Welck do well. I'm not sure how his win validates this strategy. Did he move alot of discs? Right now Prodigy seems like the Montreal Expos of the disc golf game. Develop players and watch them go elsewhere.
Do any of the manufacturers really "develop" players? Not like there's a dg spring training or anything.

Do any of the manufacturers really "develop" players? Not like there's a dg spring training or anything.

We are getting way off on tangents. No one has answered my original question. How does one win by Parker Welck validate Prodigy's moneyball strategy mentioned above?

Yours seems like a not real question, more like a red herring. I would say sure, by providing the financial stability to focus on disc golf while they are sponsored, I would say absolutely yes, manufacturers aid in player's development. Also being surrounded by like minded players can only help someone in their development as a player.

I've seen Dave Dunipace work with some players. I don't know if Innova had anything to do with Feldy teaching Wysocki.

Players that tour together tend to help develop each other, although it has little to due with the manufacturer itself other than often being teammates.

Also not sure what role Discraft played with Paul mentoring Brodie.

We are getting way off on tangents. No one has answered my original question. How does one win by Parker Welck validate Prodigy's moneyball strategy mentioned above?

Yours seems like a not real question, more like a red herring. I would say sure, by providing the financial stability to focus on disc golf while they are sponsored, I would say absolutely yes, manufacturers aid in player's development. Also being surrounded by like minded players can only help someone in their development as a player.
You must be new here. ;)
Thread drift is the way.

You were comparing Prodigy to the Expos, so I thought questioning whether developing prospects has the same meaning in dg as it does in baseball was fair game.

FWIW I've heard of a lot of Prodigy donations of discs to encourage young players. Talked to a few people (everywhere) running juniors programs and a lot of em have had Prodigy donate enough discs to schools and junior programs to get it off the ground.

Couple local guys are sponsored by em.. doesn't sound bad to have some supportm

Conrad won World's but I think he is more known for the Shot than being a world champion, and I don't think too many people think of MVP as a breeding ground for World Champions because of it.
Sheet Dawg, we're just getting on it. It was only a few years ago people said you'd never win a World's with gyro, now here we are.... its likeable talent and a company to get behind. It took a decade to get here...

Sheet Dawg, we're just getting on it. It was only a few years ago people said you'd never win a World's with gyro, now here we are.... its likeable talent and a company to get behind. It took a decade to get here...
lol, It pained me to say that, my bag is mostly MVP, Axiom and Streamline. And it gave MVP instant credibility. Conrad hasn't done much since then but he definitely is a likeable guy, and I'm loving my Detour. It comes as close as I've seen to the Axis, which I still hope and pray they will bring back. It was more of a comparison to Biscoe saying Prodigy makes world champions because of Isaac's one win. Some things get lost in context I suppose.

Meh I'm on a ferry drinking beer and looking for a bone to pick.

Point was it took a long time to get here... let me show you my 2nd run ions haha. F in first runs at 165 I should have bought those three a MST but they'd probably just be dog toys by now, but I didn't throw under 173 for putters

I used to follow the professional StarCraft scene and it was always wild to hear about teens and early 20 year olds having to retire to serve in the military
Hey Lauri Markkanen did it

And not many people even noticed (except for the articles that milked it)

Pro athletes get it a lot easier than your average Joes

lol, It pained me to say that, my bag is mostly MVP, Axiom and Streamline. And it gave MVP instant credibility. Conrad hasn't done much since then but he definitely is a likeable guy, and I'm loving my Detour. It comes as close as I've seen to the Axis, which I still hope and pray they will bring back. It was more of a comparison to Biscoe saying Prodigy makes world champions because of Isaac's one win. Some things get lost in context I suppose.
You compared Prodigy to the Expos who never won shit. All I did was point out that a Prodigy player won a world title. Now I guess I need to point out that since Covid Prodigy has won 4 MPO Majors, Discraft has won 4, Discmania 2, MVP 1, all others zero. They have an outstanding eye for young talent and are a smaller company with a limited budget. This is a recipe for players moving on.

Prodigy seems to have the most connections in the part of the country with the best young DGers. It's more valuable for them to trust that one (or as his or points out, quite a few) of their dirt cheap sponsored players will pop and win something than to throw money at any of the more established top-50 guys. Obviously they're willing to splash the cash to keep popular players like KJ and Isaac, but, based on how cheap their contracts cost, I would bet a player like Welck or Harris winning profited Prodigy more than someone like Matt Bell or Corey Ellis would on their respective contracts.

TBH Parker Welck's success validates Prodigy's moneyball strategy of recruiting young guns then letting them walk after they break through with and start asking for more money.
Do they actually make money off this strategy though? It's cool to see their pros perform above their expectations on the course but how much of that translates to disc sales?

They have an outstanding eye for young talent and are a smaller company with a limited budget. This is a recipe for players moving on.

^^^^^^^

This, on both counts. Their young player roster IS impressive...and they do seem to be a "launching pad" for players to move on from.

You compared Prodigy to the Expos who never won shit. All I did was point out that a Prodigy player won a world title. Now I guess I need to point out that since Covid Prodigy has won 4 MPO Majors, Discraft has won 4, Discmania 2, MVP 1, all others zero. They have an outstanding eye for young talent and are a smaller company with a limited budget. This is a recipe for players moving on.
You just made my case for me, lol. Thank you.

This must have been artistic license when you seemed to exaggerate and imply that multiple Prodigy players have won World Championships, now you downsized that.

" Develop players and watch them go elsewhere. win the world championship." Especially when you lead that with a dumbass FTFY, you need to be a bit more accurate, just saying.

You just made my case for me, lol. Thank you.

This must have been artistic license when you seemed to exaggerate and imply that multiple Prodigy players have won World Championships, now you downsized that.

" Develop players and watch them go elsewhere. win the world championship." Especially when you lead that with a dumbass FTFY, you need to be a bit more accurate, just saying.
Whatever. I fail the internet... woe is me.

Latest posts