• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The most underrated max distance drivers

I've only thrown one Trace. Plasma plastic, which seemed to me like G*. Thing was flat out beefy. Beefier than a Wraith, with less glide. I have another, in regular star-like plastic. I'll have to give it a try.

I dig the Zeus and Hades. Both of those are really good molds.
I definitely think you have a one off Plasma. That said, my "bomber" Trace is a 167g Neutron (MVP Star equivalent). Pop top and low PLH. Hyzerflip to turn but always wants to fight back.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

SL was good in pro plastic. I thought it stunk in star plastic. All the star SLs I saw were these flat, glideless turds. The pro SL felt like a mellower Orc with better glide.

I think the longest disc(s) I've thrown are G* Corvettes and a Neutron Relativity.

Not being a dick, actually curious. How does elevation make a disc fly. More or less OS? I thought it was more OS but I have no idea.

Higher the elevation, more OS and less glide, but more penetration and faster. A guy I know who's been playing solidly for 6+ years spent the majority of his time in Colorado, and he said that on average, the disc will fly farther in that higher elevation, provided you have the right stability/flippier disc.

Not being a dick, actually curious. How does elevation make a disc fly. More or less OS? I thought it was more OS but I have no idea.

Elevation is supposed to make a disc fly more overstable. I don't really have any basis for comparison, though. I've never thrown a disc anywhere other than CO.

Elevation is supposed to make a disc fly more overstable. I don't really have any basis for comparison, though. I've never thrown a disc anywhere other than CO.

I've played in CO and along the TX coast, I honestly don't think discs fly more overstable at higher elevation. I think it's more of a reduction in glide. They just seem to drop out of the air faster. And I highly disagree with the assertion they fly farther. Every time I come back to Texas I'm always loving how I seem to throw farther from having to put more into a drive in CO just to get it to go as far as a disc in Texas will.

I've played in CO and along the TX coast, I honestly don't think discs fly more overstable at higher elevation. I think it's more of a reduction in glide. They just seem to drop out of the air faster. And I highly disagree with the assertion they fly farther. Every time I come back to Texas I'm always loving how I seem to throw farther from having to put more into a drive in CO just to get it to go as far as a disc in Texas will.

Interesting. If I ever throw somewhere with much lower elevation I'll keep that in mind and be ready for anything.

Interesting. If I ever throw somewhere with much lower elevation I'll keep that in mind and be ready for anything.

I've lived at 1000' and at 4500' and there's a noticeable difference. A disc that is pretty worked in flies like it's fresh again when up at higher elevation. I think people that cycle molds will notice this stability difference more, since it will make a disc occupy a different slot in the bag and breathe fresh life into discs that were "too beat in" at sea level. But someone that carries a ton of molds (and not a lot of multiples) probably won't notice it as much. Higher elevation isn't going to make your Roc fly like a Gator, but it will make your #3 Roc fly like a #2 Roc.

As for distance-- I've noticed a loss of power this year but that could be a result of a combination of variables, not just altitude.

I've lived at 1000' and at 4500' and there's a noticeable difference. A disc that is pretty worked in flies like it's fresh again when up at higher elevation. I think people that cycle molds will notice this stability difference more, since it will make a disc occupy a different slot in the bag and breathe fresh life into discs that were "too beat in" at sea level. But someone that carries a ton of molds (and not a lot of multiples) probably won't notice it as much. Higher elevation isn't going to make your Roc fly like a Gator, but it will make your #3 Roc fly like a #2 Roc.

As for distance-- I've noticed a loss of power this year but that could be a result of a combination of variables, not just altitude.

Agree with this-not to derail the thread but I took a vacation to Colorado Springs this summer, and my thrashed aviar flew like it was brand new.

Regarding the question for the OP - I have a Renegade I got from a trilogy challenge probably 7 years ago, and it just bombs. Assuming they are unpopular/under the radar since they are oop.

The original run of Legacy Rampages were amazing, but after they started coming out super OS I liked the Cannon better. Either way they are both highly underrated, and I think the Cannon is the *fastest* disc I have ever thrown.

Elevation matters. That seems to have been covered though so...

For many players, an Avenger SS or Sidewinder are going to be the best max-D driver you can buy, and will make the game way more fun.

The original run of Legacy Rampages were amazing, but after they started coming out super OS I liked the Cannon better. Either way they are both highly underrated, and I think the Cannon is the *fastest* disc I have ever thrown.

I've dabbled with both the Cannon and Rampage. Very fast, super wide rim. Honestly, I feel like the Katana outperforms both of them for sheer distance.

I've also run into a few VERY overstable Cannons.

I've also run into a few VERY overstable Cannons.

True, come to think of it I have as well. Funny you should bring up Katanas, I feel like they have a similar inconsistency, with some inexplicable meathook Katanas over the years.

True, come to think of it I have as well. Funny you should bring up Katanas, I feel like they have a similar inconsistency, with some inexplicable meathook Katanas over the years.

For sure. I love a good Katana, but I've definitely thrown my share of bad ones.

The last Cannon I threw (Pinnacle, 168g) was almost too flippy. It would turn and never try to come back.

With the Cannon, Rampage, or Katana, the flatter they were the less I liked them.

A couple molds from DGA...the Proline Torrent and Tempest(especially poppy tops) are pretty solid bombers disc's that I don't see a whole lot of people throwing.

Another one that seems to go a long ways, but don't see many people throwing is the Innova Vulcan. I've seen some guys that have big arm distance put an absolute mash on one of these with some tailwind.

pop top domey 162-165gm Lucid Raiders

they absolutely bomb
will handle wind

I bag max weight for most discs including Raiders but if I want a disc to get out there light weight pop top Lucid Raider

(and no the light weight Fuzions don't count...too flat)

A couple molds from DGA...the Proline Torrent and Tempest(especially poppy tops) are pretty solid bombers disc's that I don't see a whole lot of people throwing.

Another one that seems to go a long ways, but don't see many people throwing is the Innova Vulcan. I've seen some guys that have big arm distance put an absolute mash on one of these with some tailwind.

I agree the Torrent is underrated. For me it flew like a slightly less stable Nuke.

Another that I'll mention, Gateway Apex. It's a wide diameter driver, so a little odd in the hand at first. But after you get used to it, it has a lot of glide and decent stability.

That is one of the few Gateway discs I've never thrown, but it's understable cousin the Journey is also super underrated. Has a shallow feel like a Tern and is just made to rip on a huge hyzerflip. Also the Samurai is one that is under the radar, it's a beaded one like the Apache or Ninja, but the Diamond runs are low shoulder and have a low flat dome to even feel, the old school ones were some of the most absurdly domey discs I've ever had but those feel nice in the hand.

I'm not going to call the Corvette underrated. It's too new. That said, I've seen quite a few Corvettes around here. They seem to be popular.

The Corvette is all over the place. I've seen everything from flippy to really beefy and glideless. Big distance potential, but you never know what you're getting until you actually throw one. G* Corvettes seem to be the longest, and the flippiest.