• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

dang now I'm interested in these 2017 champ ranchos.... could simplify my bag* further by dropping the champ ring of gators.

I have gotten so used to throwing gators mostly on sidearm upshots I wonder if the 2017 champ ranchos are good for that. I'm sure I could get used to sidearming them even if they're large diameter, 180g, and domey (hell I've sidearmed z-line comets a lot in the past/when I bag them in the winter). It sounds like it could be a more versatile option to the gator.

then again I don't want to be married to discs that will be eventual OOP discs so quickly. ring of gators come out in the winter every year (and I stocked up on a lot of last winter's ring of gators release which were super board flat and beefy). so it might not be worth it to simplify molds just for the sake of doing it.

*my bag is 7 molds right now (around 16 discs): P2, rancho rocs, gator, FD, Firebird, PD, Destroyer.

of course i have multiple discs per mold but I love how versatile the discs are right now (I throw all my discs both sidearm and backhand). I never thought that I'd drop the gator but you never know if these 2017 champ ranchos are that beefy.
If you want a nice OS Roc, check out the Millennium Taurus. It is to the Rancho Roc what the RocX3 is to the Roc3.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

i already have a 2016 lucha champ rancho roc that's just a couple of ticks less OS than a beefy flat champ ring of gators.

but from what i was reading the 2017 usdgc champ rancho rocs sound almost/just as OS as gators.

If you want a nice OS Roc, check out the Millennium Taurus. It is to the Rancho Roc what the RocX3 is to the Roc3.

Taurus on the left. DX Rancho on the right
a0ac49415a664e7ee399f6a339200306.jpg

Picked up a Taurus last weekend from GGGT. Very nice, reminds me a lot of a Wasp. The one I have is pink with a mild dome.

So are the current KC Pro Rocs just regular DX now stamped as KC Pro? Extremely disappointed with current stock.

Yeah, I recently picked up a new KC and thought it was DX based on feel. I had to check, and double check that it was DX. As long as the durability is good, I think the new feel is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the super slick stuff of the past few years.

I have not seen these. Are they softer? The KC Pro went from good, stiff KC Pro plastic to softer, gripper plastic during the 11X run. The soft 11X's were crapola compared to the stiff ones.

Could this plastic change in KC be because polymers are being redesignated to mcpro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were softer than recent slick/stiff runs, but not soft like the soft 11x's. Not as soft as a regular DX either. Also, these had a more grainy DX feel, not the waxy DX feel - if you know what I mean. Overall I liked the feel, although I didn't buy any as I have amassed enough of the older runs that I like to last several lifetimes. -that probably just means I'll hold for a little while longer, and then buy a stack when I hear they're awesome.

...but from what i was reading the 2017 usdgc champ rancho rocs sound almost/just as OS as gators.

I removed my Gator after getting my 2017 Thrower Champ Rancho but I wouldn't call as OS as Gators. I can see myself needing the Gators when it get's windy again. The Throwers are great discs though and the previous descriptions have been pretty spot on.

I removed my Gator after getting my 2017 Thrower Champ Rancho but I wouldn't call as OS as Gators. I can see myself needing the Gators when it get's windy again. The Throwers are great discs though and the previous descriptions have been pretty spot on.

That makes two of us, this is exactly what I've done.

I can see removing a Gator for an overstable Champ Rancho. The Roc is not as overstable, but for most shots you can make it fly the same lines with the right angles and speed control. The one exception might be hard, low lines that require a big skip. I think the Gator would still give you a bigger skip, especially on a shorter shot where you could throw it harder without going long. It's not a shot you need on most courses though (at least not around here). If I needed that shot routinely, I would put a champ Gator back in the bag, but as is I don't really need it.

I bought a small stack of Star Rancho Rocs from the Innova Factory Store. They're pretty awesome. I don't have a Champion Rancho to compare, but they are nicely overstable. They can handle a fair bit of power and have a nice strong fade at the end of their flight. The slight dome is exactly what you see on a nice KC Pro or DX.

DGU wants $14 to ship a champ roc to me, I have access to star ranchos and luster 30th anniversaries. Would these be anywhere near the champion roc stability or am I gonna have to find a deal on the champion for the (stays) OS roc slot?

DGU wants $14 to ship a champ roc to me, I have access to star ranchos and luster 30th anniversaries. Would these be anywhere near the champion roc stability or am I gonna have to find a deal on the champion for the (stays) OS roc slot?

Buy a RocX3. Cheap, fills the OS Roc slot nicely and the plastic is great. The 30 year Sanny's are also awesome, but not fresh Rancho overstable. Think slightly beat Rancho and thats the 30 years. No turn at all but not way too much fade either. I love em.

Latest posts