• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The next "big" innovation from DG manufactuers?

Home-Brew Discs?

On your next trip to Wal-Mart, pick up an Innova disc-maker kit. It comes with: 3 half-gallon jugs of blue, clear, and yellow plastic pellets, and a waffle-iron type melting/pressing device. Then, in the next isle over, you pick out 4-5 of your favorite PDGA-approved Innova disc molds for your new DiscMaker 2000 waffle-iron.

The DiscMaker 2000 has adjustable press depths to get you close to the exact weight you want.

The standard model comes with DX plastic pellets. If you upgrade to the DiscMaker 3000, it comes with Champion plastic pellets and the Bubble Infuser X290 attachment (rinky-dink nozzle) to create Blizzard discs.

The whistleblower? haha

Build whistles into a disc for awesome sound effects. Call it the whistleblower :)

That's good, it made me laugh. I could see discraft doing something like that, but adding some lame picture of an actual person blowing a whistle for the design. haha

The main thing I'd really like to see is a big change in baskets. A smaller basket with fantastic chains would be ideal IMO. It would be less forgiving but more rewarding if you hit the shot.

SMALLER BASKETS!!!!!???!!!!! No, please. All disc golf basket manufacturers, please disregard this guys comment. The baskets need to get bigger, at least with the way I have been putting lately.

I mentioned it in another thread but, how about a hollow chamber in the disc around the rim with a ball bearing in it? Maybe when the disc slows the ball bearing will still be going fast enough to keep it stabilized longer. (I have no idea)

A pop top disc? The disc is really flat upon release and then when it slows down(all the force lessens on the rim) the flight plate pops up for that extra glide.

I like the roller only disc idea posted earlier.

Improving wing and/or flight plate aerodynamics/stability with dimples or rings.

Material that allows the owner to 'set' the discs to being more/less flexible.

This one may rile some folks, but expanding disc approval specs to allow Aerobies. I imagine Aerobies could be to dg what titanium is now to golf.

Proximity minis, that flashes to indicate a thrower has hit their mark.

This is good, wonder if they work underwater, I don't see why not. Has anyone tried these?

they don't work like little GPS chips to track a disc its more a less a high tech way to mark your discs if they were to get lost someone could scan the code and get it back to you easily with the info which you put in there. It uses phone GPS to pin a location of the item when scanning the code not track its placement anytime.

Home-Brew Discs?

On your next trip to Wal-Mart, pick up an Innova disc-maker kit. It comes with: 3 half-gallon jugs of blue, clear, and yellow plastic pellets, and a waffle-iron type melting/pressing device. Then, in the next isle over, you pick out 4-5 of your favorite PDGA-approved Innova disc molds for your new DiscMaker 2000 waffle-iron.

The DiscMaker 2000 has adjustable press depths to get you close to the exact weight you want.

The standard model comes with DX plastic pellets. If you upgrade to the DiscMaker 3000, it comes with Champion plastic pellets and the Bubble Infuser X290 attachment (rinky-dink nozzle) to create Blizzard discs.

A 3D printer for disc golf? I know it has been mentioned before.

How about smart minis?

The "stamp" on the mini could always display: the remaining footage to the pin, wind velocity, hole map with current player/disc locations marked, the name of the current player's turn, the e-scorecard, a virtual caddy, etc.

Shut up and take my money.

What about emobssing or debossing designs on to discs?

Right? Or, say, a sort of stamp/dye nano tech that allows for shifting designs, lol, or like GIFs on a disc.

LOL @ "Whistleblower." You could have a mod where, if you're playing in a busy park course near other park goers it could just yell 'foooooooooorrrrrrreeeee" as it flies along.

they don't work like little GPS chips to track a disc its more a less a high tech way to mark your discs if they were to get lost someone could scan the code and get it back to you easily with the info which you put in there. It uses phone GPS to pin a location of the item when scanning the code not track its placement anytime.

ah thanks

Right? Or, say, a sort of stamp/dye nano tech that allows for shifting designs, lol, or like GIFs on a disc.

LOL @ "Whistleblower." You could have a mod where, if you're playing in a busy park course near other park goers it could just yell 'foooooooooorrrrrrreeeee" as it flies along.
Hmm...I wonder if you could put a lenticular design on a disc and then put another layer of plastic on top of it so it doesn't get all scratched up.

3d-lenticular-business-cards1.gif

How about smart minis?

The "stamp" on the mini could always display: the remaining footage to the pin, wind velocity, hole map with current player/disc locations marked, the name of the current player's turn, the e-scorecard, a virtual caddy, etc.

Hmm, finally a use case for smart watches?

How about a "medicus"-type practice disc that breaks its form if you throw it with too much off-axis torque?

^along those same lines, perhaps there could be a wrist-guard type of device that when worn, forces you into the proper grip and disc/arm alignment for practice purposes?