• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

Ooh, ooh, my turn!

251318_10150214875217955_575317954_7357482_3435694_n.jpg

An attempt at a record adapter type of shape. No bleeds, but a very small bubble, not sure if it's even visible. No worries, pretty good for a noob's first try.

It occurs to me that the disc looks like it has a lot of bleeds in the middle. I assure you, it is just a product of poor lighting. :p

pretty cool, of course most younger people wouldn't even know what a record adapter was, or what is was used for.. still very cool design

Believe it or not, that's not the first time I've heard that about the dye.

So, you get the standard response - you seem to see phallic symbols in the most innocuous of things. Have something you want to tell us? :p

oh, now I see the penises.. I guess I am of the generation where I do remember the adapters so I didn't see it from the get go

Smokey the Bear

Well, I realized about half way through cutting this out that Smokey was spelled backwards, but went ahead anyways. This was my first and more concerned about cutting it correctly, and then getting it on the disc. I still was pretty happy with the end result.

First Dye by CJ's Camera, on Flickr

correct me if im wrong but a record adapter is a piece that you would place on the standard i guess you would call it plate/pin that you would set the record on and allows you to play the different size records, ie 33 1/3 45 etc if the record player itself didnt have a way of changing....correct?

oh, now I see the penises.. I guess I am of the generation where I do remember the adapters so I didn't see it from the get go

lol, yeah. the 33 speed had a small hole and the 45's had a larger one that you needed one of the snap in pieces so it would fit on the smaller 33 spindle. Very few record players that I saw had a built in adapter, some had a large cylinder that would fit over the small spindle to allow 45's with no snap in adapter.. want to know about 8 tracks now? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_rpm_adapter

Last edited:
actually I know about 8 tracks also. Just because Im 29 doesnt mean that I didnt have parents and grandparents that exposed me to that kinda stuff. In face I have about 6-8 records in my entertainment center that im yet to find a record player that i like that fits in with my more modern style but still somewhat classic looking. But thanks for the offer lol

tough to find a new record player that doesn't try to look ultra modern and the older ones looked just that: old. Good luck trying to find one. :)

not bad

This is my first dye that i completed yesterday. The marble is suppose to be a teal color but it looks the same as the navy blue i used for the rest of it. Did i leave it in to long??

Attachments

• Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 101
blue on orange in my experience always looks either greenish or dark, depending on the shade of orange and plastic, they are on the opposite sides of the color wheel. it's a very cool dye and the marbling looks good. My guess is that once it fades a bit the teal will be lighter. I've had darkblue (looked almost black) fade into a nice navy blue after a couple of months. Looks great for a first dye. Go Tigers!

Had to try my hand at it!

*posted this on discgolfreview.com, wanted to repost here since I knew there was a dedicated "first dye" thread :D

Well, I didn't even know that people dyed discs till I saw it here a couple weeks ago. Needless to say I've had the itch ever since!

Between this forum and Discgolfcoursereview.com I've seen some amazing and inspiring work...many of you are very talented indeed.

Well I was at Wal*Mart last night and decided to go ahead and see if they had the old RIT dye since I saw on here the new stuff is not disc-friendly. There was only one color that was stamped 10 and that was both liquid and powder Navy Blue. On impulse I bought the RIT, then the contact paper, acetone, x-acto, fine-tip sharpie, and masking tape. I couldn't find true transfer paper nor any of the sign making vinyl and I really wanted to try a dye as soon as I got home. When I get a bug up my ass I need gratification lol!

Anywho, I decided to dye my Champ Ape since I hardly use it and figured it would be my best bet at a test run. Frankly I'm nowhere near good enough to throw it yet. :?

Without further ado, I present to you The Gorillaz :D

(the blurry splotches around the upper and lower circumference are edits to my personal information sharpied on the back of disc, sorry)

disc1edit.jpg

*edit-it kinda looks like bleeding right in the center but that is just the bic writing on the back of 175 APE because the disc is so new

Sharpie, not dye.

KC Pro Roc, 176g.

Some kinda somethin' though!

Attachments

• 2011-07-16 12.11.51.jpg
    2011-07-16 12.11.51.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
*posted this on discgolfreview.com, wanted to repost here since I knew there was a dedicated "first dye" thread :D

Well, I didn't even know that people dyed discs till I saw it here a couple weeks ago. Needless to say I've had the itch ever since!

Between this forum and Discgolfcoursereview.com I've seen some amazing and inspiring work...many of you are very talented indeed.

Well I was at Wal*Mart last night and decided to go ahead and see if they had the old RIT dye since I saw on here the new stuff is not disc-friendly. There was only one color that was stamped 10 and that was both liquid and powder Navy Blue. On impulse I bought the RIT, then the contact paper, acetone, x-acto, fine-tip sharpie, and masking tape. I couldn't find true transfer paper nor any of the sign making vinyl and I really wanted to try a dye as soon as I got home. When I get a bug up my ass I need gratification lol!

Anywho, I decided to dye my Champ Ape since I hardly use it and figured it would be my best bet at a test run. Frankly I'm nowhere near good enough to throw it yet. :?

Without further ado, I present to you The Gorillaz :D

(the blurry splotches around the upper and lower circumference are edits to my personal information sharpied on the back of disc, sorry)

disc1edit.jpg

*edit-it kinda looks like bleeding right in the center but that is just the bic writing on the back of 175 APE because the disc is so new

FWIW, after your second post on DGR, you're not allowed back in the door on DGCR :p

My first dye, I did a decent amount of research and decided I would take a stab at this dye thing last night. I took a older Champion Valk I had and tryed it out. Also I used Liquid Rit Batch # 02610 and I think it worked out great. I used the whole bottle because of hearing that the liquid dye would not work anymore but seemed to get really nice and dark for me and I only dyed for 10-15 mins. Pics below notice up by the pin I must have got a bubble in my stencil I didn't notice and got a small leak but almost looks like it is supposed to be there. PS I think I have found a new hobby lmao

Attachments

• Stencil Grenade.jpg
    Stencil Grenade.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Cooking.jpg
    Cooking.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Finished Grenade.jpg
    Finished Grenade.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 95
that grenade looks pretty sweet with the masking on it. Might be something to try next time I get the right colored disc.

Latest posts