• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

Here's my first dyed disc that I just finished this week. Turned out better than I expected.

star_wraith_zps6cf17685.jpg

Good amount of bleeds due to using cheap contact paper and not heating the dye enough at first so I had to dip it a second time. I think it would have been a lot cleaner had the first dip not loosened the edges. oh well, its a start. good enough for me.

Hey yall! just joined the site. This is my first dye i ever did about 2 months ago using the "shaving cream" method. used black and red dye on a yellow star boss.

DGdye.jpg

imag0630.jpg

imag0631.jpg

I know, nothing spectacular. :D I just wanted to come on here and acknowledge Odyssey113 for his suggestion of the "worm dye" in the dye alternatives thread and share my results with anyone who was curious.

The method I used was to dump the product into a zip lock freezer bag with the disc and tumble it around for a bit. I just lifted it out carefully with my fingers and the acetone was dried within seconds. I have sealed the bag again and it is ready for another disc if need be.

I'm not a "disc dye'er" per se, but I had a crappy beige/clear QJLS that I was afraid of losing. Literally ten feet away you had trouble seeing it in mowed dry grass. It was the exact color of dry grass. I had perused the dye threads looking for a "quick and dirty" dye to make this disc more visible. I only wish I had taken before pictures, but you can see why I am pleased with the "after". Now I don't have to worry about losing my disc in two inch grass.

It IS my first dye, so technically it belongs here even if nothing special. BTW I enjoyed seeing all of your awesome art while researching dying. Some of you are truly talented.

Thanks again Odyssey113!

P.S. Now that I look at the pics, the former color of the disc matched the concrete floor in the background almost perfectly. You can easily see why that had to change!

Last edited:
My first

Figured I would post my first dye job. Didn't get the shading right on the body, but fairly pleased none the less.

Westside Discs Tournament King.

Attachments

• Winter King Finished.jpg
    Winter King Finished.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
imag0630.jpg

imag0631.jpg

I know, nothing spectacular. :D I just wanted to come on here and acknowledge Odyssey113 for his suggestion of the "worm dye" in the dye alternatives thread and share my results with anyone who was curious.

The method I used was to dump the product into a zip lock freezer bag with the disc and tumble it around for a bit. I just lifted it out carefully with my fingers and the acetone was dried within seconds. I have sealed the bag again and it is ready for another disc if need be.

I'm not a "disc dye'er" per se, but I had a crappy beige/clear QJLS that I was afraid of losing. Literally ten feet away you had trouble seeing it in mowed dry grass. It was the exact color of dry grass. I had perused the dye threads looking for a "quick and dirty" dye to make this disc more visible. I only wish I had taken before pictures, but you can see why I am pleased with the "after". Now I don't have to worry about losing my disc in two inch grass.

It IS my first dye, so technically it belongs here even if nothing special. BTW I enjoyed seeing all of your awesome art while researching dying. Some of you are truly talented.

Thanks again Odyssey113!

P.S. Now that I look at the pics, the former color of the disc matched the concrete floor in the background almost perfectly. You can easily see why that had to change!

interesting. given the initial color, i feel that would be a tough color to accomplish, as it looks brighter than the original... i think that's unique.

do you notice any changes to the plastic due to the acetone?

do you notice any changes to the plastic due to the acetone?

Kodachrome, I've been throwing the QJLS and carrying it around in my bag for a month now and there has been no degradation or change in flex or grip that I can tell. The guys I play regularly with couldn't believe it was the same disc though, because of the intense new color!

First post... First dye. Shaving cream method on red Star plastic - black and blue Idye Poly (learned everything I know from this forum). It came out a bit darker than I was going for, but I think it is cool looking.

Attachments

• MakoDye.jpg
    MakoDye.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 90
I think I posted this in a different thread, but this was my first. A first run Sirius Polaris LS.

Attachments

• 1024132136.jpg
    1024132136.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
I don't know if I'm in the right thread for this, but here it goes...

First attempt at a shaving cream dye. Some of the dye slipped under the vinyl and into the Bengal logo, but it actually created a pretty neat exploding flame effect. This was done on a white Star Starfire. Who dey! :D

Attachments

• 271MEDIA$IMAG0473.jpg
    271MEDIA$IMAG0473.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 271MEDIA$IMAG0474.jpg
    271MEDIA$IMAG0474.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 271MEDIA$IMAG0475.jpg
    271MEDIA$IMAG0475.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 69
I think that's pretty sweet looking, even if it wasn't intentional. Looks like the tiger is on fire!

WHO DEY!

My first attempt was a soft wizard.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 42
I don't know if I'm in the right thread for this, but here it goes...

First attempt at a shaving cream dye. Some of the dye slipped under the vinyl and into the Bengal logo, but it actually created a pretty neat exploding flame effect. This was done on a white Star Starfire. Who dey! :D

Dude, that is the most awesome mistake I have ever seen. If you didn't say that wasn't intentional I would never have known and would have been left wondering how the hell you got that sweet look.

Latest posts