• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The PDGA Should Suspend The National Tour

I don't know how much Dodge wanted out of the DGPT, or how much the new ownership wanted him gone. Possibly some combination of the 2.

Regardless of that specific dynamic, it comes across as catty for him to pen a public article about what he thinks "should" happen to the DGPT, mere months after ties were cut with the organization. Bro, you're not steering that ship anymore.

Every A tier in the country, except DGPT events, don't get priority scheduling. The PDGA works directly with DGPT (and did so when it's Steve's show) to ensure that these events fit into the touring schedule accordingly. Tours working together within a system is NOT uncommon - we see it in Golf with World Golf Championship Events, PGA Events and USGA Events. This really is no different.

Despite this, Steve has once again taken the unprofessional attack route of the PDGA. It's really getting tiring.

Perhaps Steve can spend his time working on his next failed disc golf business. After Marshall Street, Prime Discs, Vibram and now the DGPT, I'm sure he will think of something that will fail so he can then shift the blame on to someone else.

Perhaps Steve can spend his time working on his next failed disc golf business. After Marshall Street, Prime Discs, Vibram and now the DGPT, I'm sure he will think of something that will fail so he can then shift the blame on to someone else.

You haven't seen "Birdie" the board game? (and you left out Players Cup)

Hold in, Marshall Street failed? When? I just bought a couple of discs from them a few months ago!?

Hold in, Marshall Street failed? When? I just bought a couple of discs from them a few months ago!?

Steve had a small hand in founding it, but is no longer involved and it certainly did not fail. Perhaps MTL was referring to the Marshall Street Disc Golf Championships? But that event transitioned into what we now know as the MVP Open at Maple Hill. Hardly call that a failure either.

Steve had a small hand in founding it, but is no longer involved and it certainly did not fail. Perhaps MTL was referring to the Marshall Street Disc Golf Championships? But that event transitioned into what we now know as the MVP Open at Maple Hill. Hardly call that a failure either.

Clarifying - was referring to the split with Marshal Street.

Steve is always going to be an ideas man. And one to share his "smartest in the room" concepts.

I don't think he evenly came close to making a sound argument why the PDGA should partner with the DGPT when it's not clear what benefit they would get in the immediate future. But then again his audience with this article was not the PDGA; it was people who like ideas and not execution.

Not following you there at all. Examples please?

I feel that many media decisions made by many parties in the past 2 years have been in the spirit of "contracting" (as opposed to expanding, not referencing written contracts directly) opportunities. Some might say "restricting" but I think that word infers a more negative intent than I want to convey.

Another way I've argued this is "the pie isn't big enough to start slicing up" - but I mean this both financially and more generally/philosophically.

How that relates is - cutting down the tour from 16 NT + PT's to 10 is a bad plan in 2020. It restricts opportunity for aspiring pros and fans alike, and the PT can't possibly pay out enough right now (without ownership going into the piggy bank every event) to make it worth it financially for all of those borderline players to still attend.

Right now more tour events with smaller purses are still necessary. The sport can't support a consolidated tour yet. The goal the DGPT should have is finding a way to competitively make the NT look like a minor league. That would be an even better arrangement than the PDGA folding their tour tbh.

Despite this, Steve has once again taken the unprofessional attack route of the PDGA. It's really getting tiring.

FWIW, I have definitely felt that Steve has attacked the PDGA in the past, but I didn't read this as an attack piece. It came across more to me as a public declaration of support for the DGPT, and also an attempt at giving the "no hard feelings" PR angle so that lingering questions don't dog the DGPT when the season starts up.

My suspicion is that as Steve is getting some distance to look at what he created from a new angle, he's seeing things in a new light, which is pretty natural. He was well received at DGPT Champ this year.

Plus, the PDGA is evolving right now. It's somewhere between Brian Graham's operation and Joe Chargulaaf's, and I think there's some internal sorting out of what the priorities of the new administration are which takes time. I think it's a completely fair thought piece to pen at this juncture in time in our sport.

I follow you now. Yeah I think Dodge screwed up by saying "suspend the NT" instead of saying "merge the two tours" which is really the substance of his position.

Kinda in the same vein of how Dodge has these great ideas but can't quite execute his plans.

Also agree with Dodge's sentiment that this DGCReview website should've partnered with the PDGA a long time ago to be the official course deirectory of the PDGA.
Do you know why this course directory pretty much took over as the one everyone goes to? (Well aside from the PDGA directory having constant outage problems and a 1990's interface), It's because it was built with the entire disc golf community in mind, not just the sub 10% who get PDGA memberships and play tournaments.

So, thank our lucky stars that didn't happen.

I follow you now. Yeah I think Dodge screwed up by saying "suspend the NT" instead of saying "merge the two tours" which is really the substance of his position.

Kinda in the same vein of how Dodge has these great ideas but can't quite execute his plans.

The problem being, a lot of the NT courses wouldn't qualify for the DGPT because of cell signal(there may be other reasons also). I don't know many people who would feel good about BSF and Masters Cup going the way of the dinosaurs just because you cant do live there.

Pro disc golf needs to split away from the PDGA, let the PDGA handle the am side, it's what they do best anyway.

Do you know why this course directory pretty much took over as the one everyone goes to? (Well aside from the PDGA directory having constant outage problems and a 1990's interface), It's because it was built with the entire disc golf community in mind, not just the sub 10% who get PDGA memberships and play tournaments.

So, thank our lucky stars that didn't happen.

It was because Tim built a better mousetrap.

Photos, descriptive reviews, links, hole info....the PDGA course guide didn't offer that, even to the membership.

With the directory and pro tour and much else, I think it's proper for the one established, international disc golf organization to be hesitant to cede services to outside entities. Had they dropped their course directory in favor of DGCR in the early days, and then DGCR failed or closed shop or changed in undesirable ways, where would the PDGA be? Starting over? A disc golf organization without a list of disc golf courses?

Time has proven DGCR to be a superior course directory, so there would be much less risk now.

By the same token, the PDGA should wait for the DGPT to be much better established, before handing over the reins of a chunk of the pro tour.

There is no pro disc golf without the PDGA. "Splitting away" would be suicide for professional disc golf at this stage.

Granted, the PDGA would have to give the new organization it's blessing and therefore only handle the am side. I'm not saying DGPT should be the entity running the pro side either btw.

Granted, the PDGA would have to give the new organization it's blessing and therefore only handle the am side. I'm not saying DGPT should be the entity running the pro side either btw.

So if the DGPT shouldn't be running the pro side, who is this new organization that would be running the professional side of the sport? And why should they be the ones to take the reigns?

Seems ass backwards to me to not have a viable alternative yet expect that the PDGA willingly and happily (with their blessing) cede power and control to this non-existent entity. Wanting that suggests that the PDGA is doing such a poor job that anyone could do better. Yet the professional game has never been at a higher peak than it is right now, on a steady growth track that doesn't seem to be plateauing or declining. Why exactly should the PDGA get out of professional disc golf?