• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The PDGA Should Suspend The National Tour

Seems ass backwards to me to not have a viable alternative yet expect that the PDGA willingly and happily (with their blessing) cede power and control to this non-existent entity. Wanting that suggests that the PDGA is doing such a poor job that anyone could do better. Yet the professional game has never been at a higher peak than it is right now, on a steady growth track that doesn't seem to be plateauing or declining. Why exactly should the PDGA get out of professional disc golf?

I'm talking...in the future...not "right now". I am saying it's no secret the PDGA has done a not so great job of growing the pro side of the sport (over the past decades). If you research the subject you'll find most people agree the PDGA should just continue to cater to the ams. And alot of people here have voiced their concerns in a negative way about ANY AM membership funds going towards promoting the pro side of the sport.

The PDGA does not need to be pouring any more membership money (on a percentage basis) into the pro tour than they already are. And they won't be anytime soon. You think that the amateur members of the org would be into that, and I think history suggests that is not the case. The idea of the PDGA investing more of its resources into a bigger pro tour has been floating around for 20+ years. There's a reason they haven't done more in that time...there really isn't the support for it among the majority of the membership.

Some interesting comments on a thread titled: "PDGATOUR - Would you support this?"

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133942

Personally I wouldn't mind if DGPT ran the pro side, I was just saying I'd be fine if someone else took it over too. Right now "pdgatour.com" redirects to the PDGA events page. What's wrong with the PDGA handling the am side and another organization handling the pro side? :confused:

I'm talking...in the future...not "right now". I am saying it's no secret the PDGA has done a not so great job of growing the pro side of the sport (over the past decades). If you research the subject you'll find most people agree the PDGA should just continue to cater to the ams. And alot of people here have voiced their concerns in a negative way about ANY AM membership funds going towards promoting the pro side of the sport.
:

What "most people"?

The mostly-Am PDGA membership keeps voting for directors who follow the current path---or acquiescing by not voting.

If one of the arguments for the PDGA to shut down the National Tour is an over crowed schedule, maybe the DGPT should limit their events to 5-6 also. If the DGPT can show grow and a willingness to combine the two in 2022 that would be a great idea.

What's wrong with the PDGA handling the am side and another organization handling the pro side? :confused:

In the abstract, nothing...IF the organization handling the pro side is a known quantity that we can trust to do the job. As long as that organization remains a hypothetical fantasy, it's useless and needless to talk about splitting the management of the competitive side of the sport when what we have is working and growing.

I won't deny that, eventually, there will need to be a separation of the "tour" and the PDGA from a management standpoint, not unlike the separation between the PGA and the USGA and the PGA TOUR. We're not there yet, and I don't think we're going to be in the immediate future. But we're certainly moving in the direction of that eventuality, slowly and steadily.

I won't deny that, eventually, there will need to be a separation of the "tour" and the PDGA from a management standpoint, not unlike the separation between the PGA and the USGA and the PGA TOUR. We're not there yet, and I don't think we're going to be in the immediate future. But we're certainly moving in the direction of that eventuality, slowly and steadily.

We agree on that point and with that, no need to continue. Thank you for your replies.

How so? What specifically should have been done differently and how would you have gone about it?

I've replied to that subject countless times. It starts with a proper media presence and builds from there. Point being..decades..and very slow growth on the pro side. At the least, you would think a stable pro media presence would have been developed by now. The domain "pdgatour.com" was registered back in 2002 and like I said, simply redirects to the events page on pdga.com.

What "most people"?

The mostly-Am PDGA membership keeps voting for directors who follow the current path---or acquiescing by not voting.

Unless I'm missing something, that's my point. With the PDGA just continuing to cater to the am side. In regards to the "some people" set up a poll on this site, a very high percent will probably say the pdga and or am fees should have nothing to do with pro disc golf.

lol.. I tried that argument before and was shut down. I was told it was a professional association focused on amateurs.

Not quite.

It's the Professional Association of Disc Golf.

Not the Association of Professional Disc Golf.

It encompasses many facets of disc golf, in a (hopefully) professional way. The mainly-amateur membership were asked about a potential name change years ago, and elected to keep the current one.

As long as the pros whine that it's amateur-driven, and the ams whine that it puts too much resources to the pros, I'm inclined to think that it's balancing multiple interests, reasonably well.

PDGA = Professional Disc Golf Assoc.

lol.. I tried that argument before and was shut down. I was told it was a professional association focused on amateurs.

I've recently been informed that words' meanings don't actually matter. That's why tour events next year will feature an MP"O" division that should obviously be renamed to MPRR: Mixed Pro, Ratings Restricted.

However, if you still think that words should mean things, I have a band-aid solution. Pretend that PDGA stands for Petty Disc Golf Ams. Suddenly things make a lot more sense!

As long as the pros whine that it's amateur-driven, and the ams whine that it puts too much resources to the pros, I'm inclined to think that it's balancing multiple interests, reasonably well.

True, but I would think 2 organizations each giving 100% to their cause instead of one splitting resources would be better for both.

True, but I would think 2 organizations each giving 100% to their cause instead of one splitting resources would be better for both.

Perhaps, at some scale. I don't think we're anywhere near that scale yet.

On the other hand, they'd be duplicating a lot of work that applies to both levels.

I suspect that before there's a separate organization, there'll be a separate division within the PDGA, a "Touring Pros Division", not in terms of a competition division, but a division of the organization dedicated specifically to the top-level tour(s).

PDGA = Professional Disc Golf Assoc.

Nomenclature aside, The vision statement, mission statement and value statements clearly don't point to favoring the professional side. It clearly points to overall growth of the game.

Vision Statement:
The PDGA is a membership organization dedicated to the promotion and sustainable growth of disc golf.

Mission Statement:
To develop disc golf into a globally-recognized competitive sport and recreational activity through:
• Player participation
• Tournament development
• Spectator participation
• Course development
• Rules and competitive standards
• Media and sponsor relations
• Public education and outreach

To sustain the growth of the organization, membership, and disc golf by means of:
• Financial stewardship
• Asset and resource management
• Membership support

Value Statement:
The PDGA is driven by the principles of:
• Integrity
• Accountability
• Lifetime fitness
• Transparency
• Professionalism
• Sportsmanship
• Diversity
• Personal Growth
• Inclusion
• Fun
• Volunteerism
• Environmental responsibility

Perhaps, at some scale. I don't think we're anywhere near that scale yet.

On the other hand, they'd be duplicating a lot of work that applies to both levels.

I suspect that before there's a separate organization, there'll be a separate division within the PDGA, a "Touring Pros Division", not in terms of a competition division, but a division of the organization dedicated specifically to the top-level tour(s).

I can see that, and I imagine it grows, eventually, out of the relatively new Pro Touring Players Committee.

I can see that, and I imagine it grows, eventually, out of the relatively new Pro Touring Players Committee.

LoL @ Anthon on the committee. Nothing like having felons on your committee. I guess he's paid his debt to society.

LoL @ Bradley Williams too. Guess he's served all of his suspensions.

LoL @ Anthon on the committee. Nothing like having felons on your committee. I guess he's paid his debt to society.

LoL @ Bradley Williams too. Guess he's served all of his suspensions.

Who in God's name thought either of them was a good idea? This is simultaneously the funniest thing and the saddest thing I have seen all year.

Latest posts