• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Preserve Championship 2023

The euro tour guys are kind of fun to listen to.

They do a fair job, but it's the fact they are speaking a secondary language and using or trying to use some of our slang, which is one of the hardest things to do in a secondary language.

They're still calling out disc molds, or at least in the Swedish open.

They're still calling out disc molds, or at least in the Swedish open.

It seems like the Pro Tour announcers only give disc info if they have personal knowledge what disc a player is using. It would so nice to know what everyone is throwing on every shot!

It wouldn't be too difficult to have players fill out a form of the discs they will be carrying with mold info, color, etc. for the announcers to go by.
I would think it would benefit disc manufacturers for viewers to know what discs players are throwing.

Even with personal knowledge the commentators often identify it as the wrong disc. Specifically for Heimburg I've heard his old run flat Orange champion Eagles called Barsby tour series eagles or his champion Roc3 called a Rhyno/Toro. Seems like they opt to call almost every disc a signature/tour series variant and rarely call out the specific run/era of discs. Some players are challenging to identify which disc is being thrown since they switch discs in the bag regularly.

DGN offers manufacturers the option to advertise during live coverage if they want their disc molds known. Likely they don't want to become 'inbalanced' in their coverage toward/against certain manufacturers or locked in to having to shout out each and every disc being thrown ever. Imagine if the coverage for 'The Preserve Championship presented by Prodigy' only had shout outs for DD/Innova/Discraft/MVP/Discmania. Maybe if the booth commentators notice a disc being thrown often the on course commentator could identify it and report back.

Jomez/Gatekeeper post produced does attempt to display the thrown discs/ITB without needing commentators to call them out.

Nate Perkins will just state the speed number of the disc. Not sure how he knows all the discs, but this works great for me. The speed tells me if it is a distance driver, fairway, midrange, or putter. That tells me all I really need to know. Naming the disc doesn't help me if I'm not familiar with that brand of discs.

Nate Perkins will just state the speed number of the disc. Not sure how he knows all the discs, but this works great for me. The speed tells me if it is a distance driver, fairway, midrange, or putter. That tells me all I really need to know. Naming the disc doesn't help me if I'm not familiar with that brand of discs.

If they give the make/model of a disc I can look it up. If they only give the speed that doesn't do much for me. Plus, I would then have to look up who sponsors the player if I wanted to figure out what he/she is throwing.

A lot of times the announcer just says "so and so is throwing a mid-range" which is even less info. :doh:

While I think it's kind of interesting to know which disc someone's throwing on coverage, considering how much variation there is in each mold and how much faster the top pros' release speeds are than my own, I don't know what good it would do me. I totally understand why the manufacturers would want it highlighted though.

I suppose knowing what Calvin throws in a particular manner is good for eliminating molds. If he throws a certain disc 500' plus, I now know that disc would be an OS meat hook in my bag. :)

While I think it's kind of interesting to know which disc someone's throwing on coverage, considering how much variation there is in each mold and how much faster the top pros' release speeds are than my own, I don't know what good it would do me. I totally understand why the manufacturers would want it highlighted though.

I can also see why the manufacturers would not want molds mentioned as well -just depends on who is on coverage at a given moment. I do think that calling out "wombat" or "destroyer" or "hades" just muddies things for the (potential) casual viewer way moreso than a simple speed or "midrange", "putter" etc. Golf announcers would just say "9 iron"- not "Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal" or "Ping G710."

I can also see why the manufacturers would not want molds mentioned as well -just depends on who is on coverage at a given moment. I do think that calling out "wombat" or "destroyer" or "hades" just muddies things for the (potential) casual viewer way moreso than a simple speed or "midrange", "putter" etc. Golf announcers would just say "9 iron"- not "Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal" or "Ping G710."

But when an announcer says "9 iron" or "driver" or "56 degree wedge" I pretty much know what that club is, I don't need to know the brand or model#.

In disc golf just saying so and so is using a "fairway driver" or "mid-range" doesn't give enough info.

In my opinion less than 1% of the people watching the broadcast can throw the disc the way the pro player is throwing it, myself included. Nevertheless, I would still like to know what discs players are throwing and I would think the manufacturers would want the viewers to know as well.

I hear you, but other than the first round feature card, the guys (and gals) on coverage got there by shooting well the previous round. Fair bet that they're on their game and will show what the sponsor's discs can do in a good way (for a select few).

You're probably not sponsoring someone you expect to suck it up on a regular basis* and if you are they probably aren't making coverage too often.

*Unless their value comes through some other avenue than tourney play.

Would be nice to get a handle on stability, too.
Golf really doesn't have an analog for that.

I hear you, but other than the first round feature card, the guys (and gals) on coverage got there by shooting well the previous round. Fair bet that they're on their game and will show what the sponsor's discs can do in a good way (for a select few).

You're probably not sponsoring someone you expect to suck it up on a regular basis* and if you are they probably aren't making coverage too often.

*Unless their value comes through some other avenue than tourney play.

My point is more that manufacturers without player's regularly on coverage likely prefer not to have molds called out and some of them are still big sponsors.

But when an announcer says "9 iron" or "driver" or "56 degree wedge" I pretty much know what that club is, I don't need to know the brand or model#.

In disc golf just saying so and so is using a "fairway driver" or "mid-range" doesn't give enough info.

In my opinion less than 1% of the people watching the broadcast can throw the disc the way the pro player is throwing it, myself included. Nevertheless, I would still like to know what discs players are throwing and I would think the manufacturers would want the viewers to know as well.

"Player A threw his putter and parked this 400' hole"

Vs

"Player A threw his Berg and parked this 4oo' hole."

The people that know what a Berg is know the latter is a lot more impressive than if it was an Envy or something.

"Chump intermediate wanna-be just threw his brand new Heimburg signature line star 175g destroyer into the first available, at which point it redirected into the O/B gator-infested marsh. Throwing 3 from the drop zone with a mixture of anger, disbelief, and sadness in his eyes"

"Player A threw his putter and parked this 400' hole"

Vs

"Player A threw his Berg and parked this 4oo' hole."

The people that know what a Berg is know the latter is a lot more impressive than if it was an Envy or something.

and the people that don't know what a berg is have no clue

"Chump intermediate wanna-be just threw his brand new Heimburg signature line star 175g destroyer into the first available, at which point it redirected into the O/B gator-infested marsh. Throwing 3 from the drop zone with a mixture of anger, disbelief, and sadness in his eyes"

But this HAS to be done in the Jim Nantz soothing Master's coverage voice...

"Hello friends... We are here at this sprawling property set against the majestic panoramic views of downtown Orlando Florida. Early morning dew has given way to a smattering of sunshine peaking through the clouds and just a whisper of wind out there on the course today. Scores should be low with such immaculate conditions. First on the tee we have a long time amateur, but professional in our hearts, Gary Shankerton. Gary comes to us from the quaint little town of Lawler, Georgia just a stones throw from Macon. I've been there in the fall, stupendous scenery watching the leaves change colors and fall. Gary comes in with an 835 rating, underperforming a bit this year against his expectations I'm sure. Gary lines up on the daunting 900 foot par 4 trying to be smooth and slow with his form. Looks like he's going with a 175g Calvin Heimburg signature series Halo Destroyer from the 2022 domey run, red in color, brand new that he told me he just picked up from the vendors table on his way over to the tee. He's expecting great things out of this disc today John. Oh my, it appears he's hooked his tee shot into the first tree in front of the tee. Not a good result at all as his disc appears to have ricocheted into the swamp on the left and it appears a very ominous looking alligator has already staken claim to this disc. Gary, dejected, will certainly need to shake that one off if he hopes to be in contention here today as he heads to the drop zone, throwing three, twenty five dollars lighter."

Latest posts