• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] The Prodigy M5

yeah im hoping its a lot like a meteor, but maybe better grip, maybe more understable at lower speed. the m4 is straight at 80% small fade. I hope its like a beat meteor at 80%, we shall see

I have a proto M4. I met a guy that works for the company and he told me that the one I had was first proto run/something/ basically, they only made a few and they were too stable. I is not concave or domey, just very flat. It is a great workable mid, but not what I would use for a long turnover shot, unless I had a long way to go. So, I see a need for the M5. I had a meteor, but honestly, it was too long.

^ agree. I LOVE the meteor, but was fast and glidey and I would often overshoot. I had the Ace Race Meteor that was 172g and beat to hell, that was money. But yeah, Im interested in the M5 for sure, and the Foxbat. But I'm gona have to go M5.

was at the store yesterday and looked at 20 foxbats....its like a Dart, but with a pointy, arrowhead rim. Feels fairly nice in the hand, but not at all what I'm looking for as a midrange....I prefer lower profile, like, m4. But I still love my mako. That **** is bagged

M5 looks like a guage kinda
Has a weird groove on the underside of the rim (not the wing )

Images of m5

1779365_466464480142047_1984988066_n.jpg

Attachments

• prodigy m5 test.jpg
    prodigy m5 test.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 194
^ Yeah It has a kinda pointy rim like the foxbat, but I think this is going to be thinner, and its about as thick as the M4, but just has a little ridge to allow understable flight and late flight fade.

Similar to the Discraft IMPACT design, but a clear midrange,(slower).

Hope it does well. Like a slower, more understable meteor. We shall see

^ Yeah It has a kinda pointy rim like the foxbat, but I think this is going to be thinner, and its about as thick as the M4, but just has a little ridge to allow understable flight and late flight fade.

Similar to the Discraft IMPACT design, but a clear midrange,(slower).

Hope it does well. Like a slower, more understable meteor. We shall see

Gotta give Prodigy a little credit on trying unusual things with their disc shapes. The F series has unusual shaped wings and the M5 is another step in that direction. Not sure yet if I like it, but at least it's something different.

Gotta give Prodigy a little credit on trying unusual things with their disc shapes. The F series has unusual shaped wings and the M5 is another step in that direction. Not sure yet if I like it, but at least it's something different.

Agreed but with my budget it makes me feel too skeptical to buy them initially. I end up having to try other peoples discs but that isn't unique to prodigy.

I would say the Mid-ranges so far have been very reliable and true to their descriptions. I use the M2, M3, M4 quite often...all are different and used in different shots. The M3 tho is extremely versatile.

I also have found that the F series are a very needed disc area. I use F2, F5, F7....all can fly very straight, but the stability is clearly different for each. They are speed 7's so its nice to know that you can fully throw them but they are still very controllable because they aren't super fast. I still carry speed 9 drivers and a couple speed 10 before the D series drivers.....in which I have found the D4 and D3 very useful.
D3 can be thrown flat with lots of power even into headwind and it will get maximum flight...it did move to the understable side, but went straight until having a trusty fade at the end....was not worried about turning it over too quick. but not super stable...similar to a Destroyer/Wraith flight...maybe more understable, less fade...
D4 was much like a beast flight-path. But remember speed 13 drivers NEED to be up to speed for them to take the flight path described....so if not the disc will basically become overstable and die out.

long story short...i really like prodigy discs

I picked up a 400g M5 recently...my first Prodigy disc actually...and I have to say I'm impressed. Despite the unique shape, it feels excellent in the hand because of the rim thickness and the shoulder. And the 400g plastic is really nice.
I tested this disc against several other under stable mids (Flying Squirrel, Fuse, Antidote, Stingray) and I've chosen to bag the M5. I could honestly use any of them in that slot, but the M5 feels the best in my hand, and honestly just feels a bit more forgiving than the others. My good shots were good, but my bad throws and releases didn't seem to be punished quite as much. This really is a good, slow, hyzer flip and turnover mid.

I saw a M5 for the first time today...any of you guys ever see a Discraft Deuce from the 90's? The M5 looked pretty much exactly like the old Deuce.

I saw a M5 for the first time today...any of you guys ever see a Discraft Deuce from the 90's? The M5 looked pretty much exactly like the old Deuce.

Yep. :)

Attachments

• CYMERA_20141121_220316.jpg
    CYMERA_20141121_220316.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 60
  • CYMERA_20141121_220409.jpg
    CYMERA_20141121_220409.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 75
I guess I didn't specify the wing part; the Deuce had the old Phantom top with the weird flat circle in the middle and Prodigy didn't copy that. The wing to me looked the same, though.

It just stuck me as odd becasue the Deuce flew like a hunk of crap and never sold well. It seemed like an odd disc for anybody to copy.

I assumed you meant the wing. Very similar though the M5 lines are more rounded where the Deuce's are sharper. (In those notches.) And yes, the flat rectangle in the middle of the plate is weird on the Deuce.
Honestly, I kind of liked my Deuce way back when, until I grazed a street sign and sheared a big piece of the rim off of it.

Necro bump.

Anyone using the M5 now? Is it a good turnover disc that would do well on dogleg-rights for RHBH throwers (and noodle-armed ones like myself?)

Latest posts