• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The progression of my bag and the departure of innova

tampabay

Double Eagle Member
As my bag has progressed I am finding less and less innova in it...
Through different friends and recommendations on this forum I branched out and tried discs from other brands and got hooked.

Right now I have so many brands present
QOLF
core/fuse/flow/halo/river(x2)/striker
Freak
Wraith/TL(x2)/Max/Lycan
Axis/Vector/Ion

I know people are going to point out discmania=innova=millennium but that isn't the point.

I started out as a die-hard innova guy but as has passed and I have thrown other discs I can't help but throw them. I doubt I will ever find many disc I love as much as my 171 opto river, 175 gl core, 175M Ion, or my TL.

The point of this thread is to encourage you to go throw other brands!
I watched Mikec's vids and now I'm hooked on ions and QOLF's.

Did any specific disc lead any of you to break your brand loyalty?
For me it was definitely the buzzz (even though its not in my bag anymore)

I never had any brand loyalty. Why did you have a brand loyalty that needed to be broken?

When I started I threw Innova, Millennium, and Discraft. Then went to All Innova... Years later Poor quality, not wanting to spend a small fortune on replacements and the Z Predator tore me away from Innova and I refuse to look back other than for collector value. Around here Innova has flooded the market, you can't find anything else unless you order it or know sponsored players with Plastic to sell. Kinda sucks but I'll live.

I never had any brand loyalty. Why did you have a brand loyalty that needed to be broken?

Because I was new to the sport and I assumed everything else was crappy.
I did some research and it clearly is the most developed brand in the sense of publicity and sponsorship so I just ran with it.

But the real reason is I was uninformed...no one told me that Innova wasn't actually the best brand.

I'm in Innova country so lots of Innova fanboys around here. Started out mostly Innova, got really into Discraft and now I've settled into a very mixed bag of Innova, Lat.64, MVP, and occasionally DM, Mill, and DC. I think DC is the brand I've become most disillusioned with, oddly.

My progression was all Innova then got to be almost all Discraft, and got some MvP in there and then Lat and really started to mix a bit of everything with a love for Lat and MVP, and now I have gone more full circle back to Innova as I love the old school discs like Leopards and Teebirds and I actually like baseline plastics as much as I like more premium plastics so I lean toward discs that provide the most options.

I will say, I no longer am going to get rid of all my stock of a mold. I am always going to keep at least one in storage as I tend to want to revisit them later. It's just not economical to sell a used disc, pay to ship it, and then a year later want to try it again when my form feels a little better or something feels a little off and I want to fall back.

I finally got rid of Innova from my bag. I'm up to 50% Lat64, and trying out some Gateways. I just got my Ion too, and it's going to stay.

Innova will always be in my bag, Go Eagle but so will Discraft GO Buzzz.

Seriously good job getting out there and giving the other brands a try.

I didn't know there were other quality brands other than innova for a while. Once I got on the forums I started branching out. As of now I carry 12 innova,4 latitude 64, 2 Vibram,1 mvp,and 1 discmania. Don't know why I dont carry any discraft...

I'm sorry, but I only throw In-Step discs and nothing you say can change that.

When I first started I was strictly innova. As time went on I started throwing the nuke and buzzz and my bag became 50/50 innova and discraft. For a short time I started trying out everything from discmania, to discwing, to mvp, to millenium, to gateway and anything else I could get my hands on. From there my bag evolved into a solid mix of innova and discraft with mvp and discmania sprikled in. The frenzy and fiend from discmania, the voodoo from gateway, and the vector and ion from mvp are my favorites. I will always love my destroyer, mako, buzzz, surge, and eagle, but definatley try out all brands and you will find something you like for sure.

When I started I threw Innova, Millennium, and Discraft. Then went to All Innova... Years later Poor quality, not wanting to spend a small fortune on replacements and the Z Predator tore me away from Innova and I refuse to look back other than for collector value. Around here Innova has flooded the market, you can't find anything else unless you order it or know sponsored players with Plastic to sell. Kinda sucks but I'll live.

for someone who always knocks innova about consistency and spending dough for special runs etc,your sig says otherwise. i see specific runs and such of discs u prefer .discraft has just as much inconsistency.

Ill try and just read posts from now on.. sorry internet gods

OP, I am in the same boat. 6 months ago I had an all innova bag. Now the only innova in my bag is a big bead aviar. Thanks DGCR, you really opened my eyes to other brands.

for someone who always knocks innova about consistency and spending dough for special runs etc,your sig says otherwise. i see specific runs and such of discs u prefer .discraft has just as much inconsistency.

I wouldn't say they have just as much inconsistency, but they do have their fair share. I would put Innova and Lat64 as the most inconsistent. One of the problems with Innova is that they will actually change the mold without changing the name so you get the regular inconsistencies with the cooling process and whatnot, plus the fact that you could be getting a completely different disc that has purposely been changed yet they never notified the public that they changed it. I really don't understand why Innova does this.

OP, I am in the same boat. 6 months ago I had an all innova bag. Now the only innova in my bag is a big bead aviar. Thanks DGCR, you really opened my eyes to other brands.

After looking at your sig we have extremely similar taste in discs my friend. We apparently had our eyes opened by the same people lol.

Latest posts