• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] THE Roc3 Thread

Finally got a chance to throw the Henna Blomroos tour series Champ Roc3. It is the most stable Roc3 that I've thrown, with very little glide, just a long and gentle fade. Very interesting, and a very nice looking disc.

Finally got a chance to throw the Henna Blomroos tour series Champ Roc3. It is the most stable Roc3 that I've thrown, with very little glide, just a long and gentle fade. Very interesting, and a very nice looking disc.

I'm intrigued. How far are you throwing one with zero turn?

I just picked up a roc3 that had a small dome to it. Normally the ones with a little dome are on the beefier side, but this one is up there with the most overstable discs I have ever thrown. I know this mold has been around for a bit now, and the idea of a faster roc sounds nice to me, but I have had bad luck with the roc3s I have tried.

You guys are having me think about looking at the roc3 again instead of just normal rocs

You guys are having me think about looking at the roc3 again instead of just normal rocs

I like a flat Roc, which is probably why I gravitated toward the Roc3. In champion plastic its a really good workhorse mid with a neutral flight. The plastic doesn't beat in, and the disc's flight never changes over time.

I like the champion Roc3 because it'll take a big rip without turning over, and it doesn't get too floaty. Sometimes a Buzzz or Emac Truth will drift offline for no apparent reason.

I used to bag a Champion Roc3 but instead carry a Champion Rancho right now. It seems to handle a headwind better than the Roc3 and is more predictable for me. I have not thrown any of the recent runs though. The grip on the Roc3 is more comfortable for a forehand throw due to the flat top, although, this is a shot I rarely do with any kind of Roc. My throwing style is to play more of the glide on my discs rather than speed. Especially on putters and mids.

I've always preferred flatter ranchos, slight baby dome is ok, and dx to kc. Had some flatter usdgc beefcake rocs and have paired that with a fresh and worn dx. Don't bag a usdgc at all now, was throwing an "01 remake" in place since I tend to prefer softer plastic, but found a white star rancho that's a dead ringer for a remake aside from its marking, so instantly in the bag.

I've acquired a few roc3s, and as far as I'm concerned there are definitely beefier ones out there that are probably easier and cheaper to track down but the biggest difference I've noticed between a "good" roc and roc3 is how they like to be thrown. To me a rancho has always thrown like a putter but longer, they'll definitely carry distance if you gave the height to let it work. Roc3 wants to be thrown like a buzzz, hard and flat.

I think you can get similar results with either if you're willing to track down what you like, but would say throwing style should be the final decision maker, if that makes any sense?

I used to bag a Champion Roc3 but instead carry a Champion Rancho right now. It seems to handle a headwind better than the Roc3 and is more predictable for me. I have not thrown any of the recent runs though. The grip on the Roc3 is more comfortable for a forehand throw due to the flat top, although, this is a shot I rarely do with any kind of Roc. My throwing style is to play more of the glide on my discs rather than speed. Especially on putters and mids.

Funny because I'm one of those guys who is weird about flicking beaded discs. I've tried to flick rocs, and I'm sure it's mental, but have infinitely better results with a nice board flat to concave champ mako3. Just more comfy in the hand, give it some hyzer, and watch it flip to flat and ride dead straight. If it's wide open I'm chip shotting with a zone or firebird based on distance.

Yea, Ive always been more on the OG roc side, Ive bagged McPro Roc3's and I like those a lot but I get similar results from flat top ranchos. If anybody can point me towards the beefiest roc3's they know of that would be awesome. I have bagged an 06 Big Eye Rancho as my most OS roc for maybe a decade now and its still beefy but it will never be a gator.

Yea, Ive always been more on the OG roc side, Ive bagged McPro Roc3's and I like those a lot but I get similar results from flat top ranchos. If anybody can point me towards the beefiest roc3's they know of that would be awesome. I have bagged an 06 Big Eye Rancho as my most OS roc for maybe a decade now and its still beefy but it will never be a gator.

It's close between Metal Flake and Glow Champ.

I've been on the look for a beefy Roc for such a long time. I have tried ranchos, metal flake and so on and I have around 20 Rocs. The most beefy Roc3 I have tried is Star Roc3 Bottom Stamp. I have also tried Champion Rocx3 and I'm not impressed.

However I use Discraft Malta Prototype for my "beefy" midrange shots. It is very good copy of the Roc3, and to be honest I can't tell the difference if I felt them out blindfolded. When I throw Malta 330 feet it will flip to flat and just have the predictable fade that I was looking for. Anyways if I try to throw this disc on the same line and power with around 10 mph wind it will flip over.

I've heard that prototype has more stability vs stock stamp Malta.

CG Champ Roc3 are pretty overstable for a Roc in my opinion. More so than a RocX3 even. The Luster Roc3 isn't a bad choice either.

Thanks man, Ive tried a few of each of those and they arent more os then a champ rancho unfortunately.

Are they at least comparable to any champ ranchos? Particularly interested in how the luster roc3 compares to a champ rancho.

Buddy picked up a champ Roc3 on a whim. He doesn't like it at all. I borrowed it to throw, and... where's the fade? It's basically new and it flies like a Mako3. Might, in fact, have less fade than a champ Mako3.

I have an X-out champ Roc3, near max weight. It definitely isn't as beefy as the 0/3 it's intended to be, but it's still beefier than my Z-Buzzz, which is more beefy than a Mako3. Mine flies like a -.5/2 for me. I haven't been using it as much as I could, because I think I may subconsciously want something a little beefier.

While I'm sure it's just something about me and not so much the disc, it always seems like the Roc3 is less stable all around than the normal Roc.

I had a max weight metal flake one with a mild dome that flew a little closer to the numbers but I've had stars, DX, champion, and color glow champion ones that Were definitely more of a -1/1.5 type of flight.