• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The sheer idiocy of playing in snow

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I felt like playing DG today, so off I went to the course. We got about 6" of snow last weekend, most of which is still on the ground. The course I play at has astroturf teepads, which someone had cleared. Throwing off them wasn't a problem at all.

The first round went well. I was throwing accurately and putting decent. I put up a -7. All my drives would hit the snow and stick out or slide along the top. The snow has been there for days and was fairly hard/crusty.

The problems came during my second round. The snow softened up a bit and started melting. On an otherwise innocuous drive my Nuke slid horizontally into the snow and disappeared on a hillside covered with weeds, sagebrush.... and snow. I had a vague idea of where the disc went in, but finding it proved to be extremely difficult. I shuffled around on that hillside for 45 minutes kicking snow aside before I finally uncovered the Nuke. After that I immediately called it a day. My shoes were soaked.

Playing in that much snow simply isn't worth it. If not for sheer determination I would have lost a perfectly seasoned Z Nuke in 6" of snow today.

Ribbons

folks use ribbons as one idea. you take a piece of ribbon (around a few feet or so), tape it to your disc (in the center), and throw. Use duct tape or whatever someone else migjt suggest as the tape... some don't do well in the cold.

the disc goes in the snow, but the ribbon won't usually...

You don't need ribbons or chalk or anything fancy. Just stick to a few basic rules of thumb:

1. Throw bright discs
2. Throw one disc per hole
3. Watch where your disc lands and walk straight to that spot
4. Don't throw if you can't see the landing
5. DX plastic is your friend
6. Don't be a baby

You don't need ribbons or chalk or anything fancy. Just stick to a few basic rules of thumb:

1. Throw bright discs
2. Throw one disc per hole
3. Watch where your disc lands and walk straight to that spot
4. Don't throw if you can't see the landing
5. DX plastic is your friend
6. Don't be a baby

I disagree. 2" or more of snow, you definately need ribbons unless you don't mind losing a few discs.

I disagree. 2" or more of snow, you definately need ribbons unless you don't mind losing a few discs.

Eh I'd say more like 3" or more of snow is when things get tricky. 1 or 2 inch isn't much and discs, especially mids and putters don't usually bury in that.

Echo what people say about only throwing 1 disc at a time and really really paying attention to where it goes.

Also avoid higher speed very stable discs as they like to spike and bury themselves. As much as I love my gstar firebird when it's cold out, once there is anything more than a couple inches of snow that bird likes to nosedive and bury himself. Can't have that happening especially since it's a couple seasons worn in and just perfect.

.........and PLEASE bring a shovel for the tees.

Or just tee off from the side until someone gets there to shovel

Yup! Every winter disc golf thread needs the following warning:

DO NOT THROW FROM TEE PAD THAT HAVE NOT BEEN SHOVELED. Using them creates an icy mess that is infinitely more difficult to clear and causes the snow/ice to stay on the pad much longer.

TEE FROM THE SIDE OR BACK OF THE PAD, WHEN TEE ARE NOT CLEARED. If you don't/can't be part of the solution, certainly don't be part of the problem.

Thank you for allowing me this time for the public service announcement.

Latest posts