• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I really want another Star Tern, the one I just got is 171 (production run) and pretty flippy. A slight more stable Tern would be ideal. They should just run these on the Reg

Has anybody received and tested the Leatherman terns? I'm curious how they stack up to regular star terns. I thought I read somewhere that they might be a bit more stiff and stable.

I saw one of each color this weekend, they seem extra stiff for Star plastic. I ordered 3 for myself. Not sure if I'll throw them. Don't know anyone who has thrown theirs yet, mostly just in the special disc collections at this point.

There were 158 in stock when I ordered them on Saturday, there are 20 left.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a dyed champ tern I picked up about a year ago from Marshall Street. Incredible disc. Absolutely love it. Problem is the dye is boba fett(which is cool) but black so hard to find. So I have tried to replace it a few times and the new champ plastic is different. So the question is, is there any way I can figure out exactly what type of champ tern it is, if so how can I find a comporable one in a brighter plastic. Thanks for any help!

I just bought a champ tern from Discgolfcenter, and it is definitely the new stiff jolly launcher plastic. Not a huge dome more shoulder with a flat top.

Got a Metal Flake Tern a couple days ago, thought I'd let it compete with my Kings for a bit.

Beautiful disc and it can Bomb! But my Kings were just as far and less flippy. Amazing how far they can go even at 75% power though. I was hitting 375 with no effort at all and when I hyzerflipped it got over 400 several times, just usually 40 feet right of the target.

Anybody else throwing the Heather Leatherman Terns? How are you liking them?

i find it to be a touch more stable than the regular star, but a touch less stable than the firm champions ones

Anybody have experience with the pro terns? Ordered one just fun and wondering what it will be like

Anybody have experience with the pro terns? Ordered one just fun and wondering what it will be like

It is unlike any other version of Pro plastic I have ever seen - feels and looks like a slightly gummy Star. It's fast and slinky like a Star Tern. I haven't thrown it enough to place it on the relative stability scale to other terns, but I like it.

Has anyone compared these to the Millenium Aries 1.2? They rate very similar in flight, but I've been out of the game for a bit and haven't thrown any star/pro terns to make a comparison. No one in my area throws Terns either so no free tests either :(

Trying to figure out if the Aries, Tern, or Renegade is what I want to go with for a distance driver.

Has anyone compared these to the Millenium Aries 1.2? They rate very similar in flight, but I've been out of the game for a bit and haven't thrown any star/pro terns to make a comparison. No one in my area throws Terns either so no free tests either :(

Trying to figure out if the Aries, Tern, or Renegade is what I want to go with for a distance driver.

Im not sure about the others but the terns I have
Star 171: 12/5/-3.5/1
HL Star 175 : 12/5/-2.5/2
Champion 175: 12/4.5/-2/3

thats kinda how they fly for me. If you want it understable just get a diff plastic or weight, and if you want it fairly stable but still good turn the HL Stars are really nice. and the Champ I have is 175g and is almost beefy for a Tern. It takes a good arm for it to stay right

Just picked up a pro and champ tern today. The pro plastic really feels awesome in this mold. Haven't got a chance to toss them yet but I really like the grip on it. Tacky but not floppy like gstar. The champ one I got felt brick hard compared to the pro. I was interested in how the flight numbers differed on the different plastcs. Need to pick up an EchoStar also because it's rated -4 hss.

I'm really hoping I like these as local availability is good. If not I still have to give the renegade and krait a chance too.

Just picked up a pro and champ tern today. The pro plastic really feels awesome in this mold. Haven't got a chance to toss them yet but I really like the grip on it. Tacky but not floppy like gstar. The champ one I got felt brick hard compared to the pro. I was interested in how the flight numbers differed on the different plastcs. Need to pick up an EchoStar also because it's rated -4 hss.

I'm really hoping I like these as local availability is good. If not I still have to give the renegade and krait a chance too.

My Echostar and Star Terns are near-identical in feel and in flight. The only problem is that the Echostar Tern is red (dark red), and I can't see it very well on the ground after I throw it. :( But otherwise I like them both.

Having said that, I've been getting more consistency out of my Champion Tern these days. IMHO that's operator headspace and timing (i.e. me getting a little better in my form). But they're all good. The Tern is one of Innova's very best molds ever.

Glad I picked up some terns to try out. I think I have my 'problems' solved.

Got to throw them a few times yesterday, even in the 15mph winds they flew well. Not nearly as understable as I thought they'd be for sure. Threw my 175 champ into the wind, took a bit off of it on a hyzer flip, and it was a nice smooth s-turn flight out to about 375' easy. Never in the couple of times I threw it into the wind did it seem like it was going to turn and burn as long as I didn't really try to pump it out there. With the wind it still turned but faded out earlier from the turn than expected.

The pro was obviously a bit more flippy, but not terribly understable either. Unfortunately I don't have any production stars yet to compare it to. It definitely bombs in a favorable wind.

Just got a couple of renegades in yesterday after I got home, but I doubt I'll like the flight more than the terns I already have (plus, much easier to get terns locally which is a huge plus)

Anybody else throwing the Heather Leatherman Terns? How are you liking them?

i find it to be a touch more stable than the regular star, but a touch less stable than the firm champions ones

Got my Hannah Leatherman Star Tern (175g) yesterday. Looks great (see attached pic) and feels really great, very firm Star (what some call Champy-Star?), good feel in the hand.

I took it out onto an open course today. Some headwinds and tailwinds today, giving good test conditions. I also had my new Glow Champ (175g) and Jolly Launcher Champ (157g) and did some comparisons.

The HL Tern was a bit more overstable than any of the other Terns, but it flew very well, especially into headwinds. The Glow Champ TL went a little bit longer for the most part.

In tailwinds I didn't get as much distance with the max wt. discs as I did with the JL Champ disc... but I also turned over the JL Champ and watched it go to the right (RHBH throw) and not come back a couple of times. Must've been some Wheaties in my oatmeal this morning. ;)

All in all, I really like the HL Tern and will work with it a lot more. Even though it's max wt., it may find good use as a headwind disc when matched up with my regular Star Tern or JL Champ Tern. But if they keep making it in this firm Star plastic, I might have to get another one; that plastic is really sweet!

Attachments

• DiscGolf_HannahLeatherman_TernIMG_2761.jpg
    DiscGolf_HannahLeatherman_TernIMG_2761.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 31
What people refer to as "champystar" is a Star blend that is slightly translucent. Here's an example

IMG_20110411_194253.jpg

As for Terns, I'd like to give one a go at some point! Not sure if I should try Champ or Star. I think I'll try to find someone who has either one to try out so I'll have an idea of how they fly. Those Hannah Leatherman Terns look pretty sweet.

Latest posts