• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Dude 95% of people don't even have a rating.....and the vast majority of those are sub-900 players.

I know A LOT of sub-900 players.
Ivar played a lot of tournaments, but only one PDGA tourney and I am WELL below 900. Check my PDGA number if you don't believe me...I shan't embarrass myself by posting it here. I had a really bad tournament, but still...

I play four or more rounds a week and have been playing for over 20 years. I know a lot about the game. It irks me when players with natural talent get all high and mighty. The REAL question is: how many of those players who are 900-plus rated players have fun every time they play? I guarentee the "chuckers" sure do.

Apologies for the drift. I took the Terns out for a round today and was making so
e really good shots. I was wavering between it and the d4, but the Tern has won. I have a tendency to smack trees, and today was no exception. Some scuffage, but no chunks. So the new plastic holds up well.

And the glide man...the GLIDE! This has to be Innova's glidiest disc ever!

AndyJB;1850634 I play four or more rounds a week and have been playing for over 20 years. I know a lot about the game. It irks me when players with natural talent get all high and mighty. The REAL question is: how many of those players who are 900-plus rated players have fun every time they play? I guarentee the "chuckers" sure do. ever![/QUOTE said:
Chucker here :thmbup: and yes we do. But, in all seriousness....The plastic feels great, and you're right. This disc has glide for miles, and flies on a pretty tight line. I like it a lot.

What weight are you throwing Andy? I've been cyber-stalking you since we have similar D and are both high. :D

question for andy...hey man, just wondering how you would compare the tern to the d4 as i recently bought both and love the tern but have yet to throw the d4.. any insight would be helpful thanks

1 - I'm a consistent 425' on a Teebird thrower.

2 - Balls out on a lower-ish line, the Tern flips and eventually crashes, but doesn't turn and burn as easy as I thought it would. From my experiences with them, it's similar to an ESP Nuke in understability. e.g. it can definitely burn if you want it to, but if you hit the sweet spot, which is annoying, it can really find some close-to-acceptable lines.

2.1 - High max-d hyzer line, and it flips and glides for days. Takes up quite a lot real estate to go from L-R; I would approximate 70'-ish.

3 - I don't have to try hard to get 400'. This is kind of nice. (Still more L-R than I would like though.)

4 - Will not take a place in my bag. (Destroyers and Augusta Wraiths for me.)

5 - Most importantly. The plastic quality is great compared to some of the waxy "champion" Innova has been boosting. The disc I have is "blurple" 168g, nearly clear. Rather grippy, even in cold. Not quite as grippy as the Prodigy stuff coming out right now. Not quite as hard as 11x plastic. Durometer (shore D) readings are ~70 on the rim. I will be more excited if Innova can retain this level of quality.

:clap: you win. I was just giving you a hard time-- not sure they make the BEST product but they for sure have the best selection and best known name in manufactures world wide but products... ehh depends on which one, which run, which color, which numbers, city, and letters are on the back, who endorsed it when, how many circles, what stamp, the what one of the 1000 different plastics'

:) We both win!! I was always good with Dave, Tim and all the Innova guys when I played competitive golf. They always took care of what I needed so I continue to back their product. Not always consistent but back then they were the only company that made stuff that could handle how hard and far I threw. I would like to try some Lat 64 stuff out, looks really good. My friend is going to try and break the record with the Tern, his words were, "there is no other disc like it".

The Wahoo made in Champion plastic is called the Tern

No.

PDGA measurements:

Tern: 21.1 / 1.7 / 1.1 / 16.6 / 2.3 / 5.2 / 28.50 / 11.91
Wahoo: 21.0 / 2.0 / 1.2 / 16.1 / 2.4 / 5.7 / 33.25 / 10.21

Last edited:
question for andy...hey man, just wondering how you would compare the tern to the d4 as i recently bought both and love the tern but have yet to throw the d4.. any insight would be helpful thanks

Not really too similar...my d4 is a little more stable for me. Very little turn...plus that "easy release" tech is just a little TOO easy for me...lot of early release on the d4. I prefer the Tern. I did review both on InfiniteDiscs. Sorry to make you jump to a vendor site bit I'm typing on my Kindle right now haha.

Of you want a better comparison just PM me and ill hit you back tomorrow

No.

PDGA measurements:

Tern: 21.1 / 1.7 / 1.1 / 16.6 / 2.3 / 5.2 / 28.50 / 11.91
Wahoo: 21.0 / 2.0 / 1.2 / 16.1 / 2.4 / 5.7 / 33.25 / 10.21

I know that I can find the information elsewhere... but would you please identify what each of the numbers above mean? I'm pretty confident that the first is the diameter and the 2nd is width of the "rim." The others, I just don't know. Thanks.

This thread has taken a Tern for the worse.

If I could throw a Teebird 425' I wouldn't be in the market for a Tern.

Either Andy doesn't care about me and Danny, or he has a real life.

That is all.

If I could throw a Teebird 425' I wouldn't be in the market for a Tern.

I buy everything and anything, good or bad. Maybe a friend will wanna throw it. It's an interesting disc, and not bag worthy for me. There are plenty of discs that go L-R (RHBH) with larger sweet spots than this one for me.

Plastic is definitely higher quality than the norm with Innova. If you have the means, I would say buy it for that reason alone. I'm really surprised to see it side by side with some other recent Innova purchases.

Just ordered two from Disc Golf Center today and I'm psyched! :clap: Now the waiting game begins. :doh:

OK. So DGCenter came through for me as always. Ordered on a Saturday and they were in the mail today, a Friday. Not too bad.

Just posted this pic in the New Champion logo thread, but couldn't pass it up as it belongs here, too! This is exactly what I want my next disc to be!!! :D
picture.php
I got pretty close to the orange that I wanted, although the disc is more "clear" than I anticipated.
Here's the orange one I got, at 163g.
picture.php

Last edited:
i would prefer pink and a touch lighter than 169, maybe 162ish
And I listened to you Matt, got a pink one, too... at 162g! :D
picture.php

And check out the inner and outer edges of the rim. You can really see how it's more clear. Very cool looking discs.
picture.php

And the plastic does feel a little softer and more "grippy" than other Champion plastic that I've felt, just like others have mentioned. Now I just hope that their flight for me looks as good as the discs themselves!

thanks andy. yea thats sufficient for now as I intend to try out the D4 tomorrow, got me a little nervous with the release thing, haven't had early release issues since i started back in october and altho I don't have 425 ft of power I would def say the tern is my longest disc and all my releases with it have been beautiful maybe the shallower rim is something that benefits me. God I really want a proto star stamp in hot pink or maybe dayglo yellow, but what I'm seeing them go for at 30+ is a tough pill to swallow as I intend on throwing them. Might just grab a second production stamp so I have two to work into bag as I love it enough to duplicate this disc. way to go innova

thanks andy. yea thats sufficient for now as I intend to try out the D4 tomorrow, got me a little nervous with the release thing, haven't had early release issues since i started back in october and altho I don't have 425 ft of power I would def say the tern is my longest disc and all my releases with it have been beautiful maybe the shallower rim is something that benefits me. God I really want a proto star stamp in hot pink or maybe dayglo yellow, but what I'm seeing them go for at 30+ is a tough pill to swallow as I intend on throwing them. Might just grab a second production stamp so I have two to work into bag as I love it enough to duplicate this disc. way to go innova

Better update your signature! :thmbup: And that yellow font is impossible to read, btw. :D

Latest posts