• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I disagree with the above post in that the glide on this thing is obviously head and shoulders above most of what Innova has produced before, especially considering it's in Champ which usually has a bit less glide than other plastics. It's easy distance and for players with less power level I can definitely see how this disc will help them get more D and be more accurate at longer distances because they're using less effort to get it there.

Personally I think I like the Dominator a bit more just because it has a bit more stability and uses less lateral movement on long throws.

Saw a video of Feldberg at Kensington Toboggin hole crank a drive out with full grunt to just under 500'. This is an elevated hole too. But, of course, not high altitude desert with heat thermals. Comprende?

Now WTF are you trying to say? I don't consider Feldberg a big arm.

I'm guessing it's too fast for someone maxing out 275-300.

Well that's tricky. If they're only getting that far because they just can't get a huge rip and lack supersonic arm speed, then I would say no, it's not too fast...it will probably add a few feet of distance and fly pretty straight.

Now, if they are only throwing that far because of poor form, that another animal. In that case, I would say this is not the disc for them. I've probably had 20-30 bad releases with the Tern and, while its not as fickle as some drivers, it can get away from you.

Ok, question time:

I have 400'+ power when throwing my D1's/D4/seasoned Pro Destroyer/etc.

I bought a 175g proto Tern and it's been surprisingly stable for me ... and only hitting 350'-75'ish with less than 20' total lateral movement. PLH doesn't look crazy high or anything ... might just need to throw it more and get the hang of it? (have 20ish throws with it so far)

... also: can't hyzer flip it without extreme torque/OAT

Ok, question time:

I bought a 175g proto Tern and it's been surprisingly stable for me ... and only hitting 350'-75'ish with less than 20' total lateral movement. PLH doesn't look crazy high or anything ... might just need to throw it more and get the hang of it? (have 20ish throws with it so far)

I've got a lighter weight (167g I believe) you need to try out. I haven't had it long enough to really test it yet, but so far it has been great for long open holes.
*Edit* I think you need to season it a little bit...

Well that's tricky. If they're only getting that far because they just can't get a huge rip and lack supersonic arm speed, then I would say no, it's not too fast...it will probably add a few feet of distance and fly pretty straight.

Now, if they are only throwing that far because of poor form, that another animal. In that case, I would say this is not the disc for them. I've probably had 20-30 bad releases with the Tern and, while its not as fickle as some drivers, it can get away from you.
me (second part)

Not at all Jen, it should work for you. To my tactile sense, the Dominator and Tern are "in the same camp" as they seem (to me) to have the same inside rim feel as each other and different than some / most of the other Innova discs. They would make a team of overstableish/understableish drivers just as the Wraith/Katana team might. And I do seemingly get a lot of glide from the Tern...but it probably won't make the bag because I have a Ch.Katana for that slot.

Karl

Now WTF are you trying to say? I don't consider Feldberg a big arm.

Point is he was throwing 500 ft max effort, from an elevated tee, and at 100% power, not 60%(LOL). But you're doing 500 ft at a meager 60% no sweat? Stop griping about not being believed, and move on.

Well stop naysaying the man, I believe him. I threw a Mamba 450 the other day powered down, you just have to know how to hit a distance line and use the wind.

I've thrown this disc 500, I don't see why you're so skeptical it can be done.

Well stop naysaying the man, I believe him. I threw a Mamba 450 the other day powered down, you just have to know how to hit a distance line and use the wind.

I've thrown this disc 500, I don't see why you're so skeptical it can be done.

Hmmm, you were ripping him earlier in this thread over that claim of 500 ft at 60%. I have my doubts about your claim too. Such as throwing a high speed distance driver 500 ft and then "powering down" to see if you can throw it 350'. And now it's your Mamba 450 ft powered down? Sounds fishy. Time to get real here.

I have thrown a friend's Tern. While it does not feel like a Destroyer, it throws about like one for me. Maybe it's the plastic and needs some beating in. For now, it's not on my list. if it's ever offered in Star, I'll buy.

Hmmm, you were ripping him earlier in this thread over that claim of 500 ft at 60%. I have my doubts about your claim too. Such as throwing a high speed distance driver 500 ft and then "powering down" to see if you can throw it 350'. And now it's your Mamba 450 ft powered down? Sounds fishy. Time to get real here.

Go troll somewhere else, I don't have to prove anything.

Last edited:
Go troll somewhere else, I don't have to prove anything.

Here's one reason why I and anyone else here should doubt you distance claims:

"I've hit my neighbors house twice so I'm hitting 500 ish as well."

:rolleyes:

Internet distance must be a wonderful thing...

Somebody posted that the proto-stamped first run Terns were more, well, turny, like rated closer to a Vulcan, say. So maybe a first run would be more versatile?The production runs are more of a longer more stable Beast, fly close to a seasoned but not totally beat up Star Destroyer?

I think this thing could be pretty user friendly @ 300 ft of D (I'm not much longer than that myself.) May not get much turn out of it, but should see some nice glide, and a gentler fade than other speed 12s.

If you throw a flex for max D, you could likely see a jump in D with it...it might take a lighter weight? Mines @ 174.

Ok, question time:

Does yours have a lot of flashing along the bottom edge?

Latest posts