• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Well if you're in TX I got both, champ and star. Can't see location on my phone. Champ are less flippy. I have a soft top star tern that just holds an anhyzer line out of the hand, and a stiffer top that likes to be the thrown how I think a 12 speed disc should be thrown, and then my champ terns that love power and have beautiful lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

A 167 G* Tern is great for us slightly noodle arms throwing 330ish. One thing I LOVE about these discs is they always come back at the end for a reliable fade.

Went to film some practice throws last night and got a few in with my terns. The wind was kind of ripping, about a 18-20mph left to right headwind. I 'bombed' my HL star tern (175g) 400'+ with no significant flip, just a nice easy turn from a hyzer. The pro (171g) was noticibly faster out of the hand but once it got flat, it turned over for most of the rest of the flight. Probably will make for a fantastic no wind/downwind driver. The champ was a little finnicky in the wind - either it didn't flip up all the way and held a hyzer the whole flight, or once it got flat, it also flipped in the wind.

Not 100% sure about the champ yet, but if regular stars are anything like the HL star I'm definitely sold on those. The pros are a bit flippy but I feel like that's still a necessary slot in my bag since I'm not tossing destroyers 450'

I played a new course last week. It was kinda windy and there was a hole with open water to our back. It was a looooooong hilly shot (you cannot see the pin) but it was straight ahead, down then up a hill, trees on either side, obstacles in fairway.
I BOOOOMBED the HL Tern in the tailwind and it flew a perfect little S shape and parked just on the cusp of the top of the hill. Approached with a BuzzzOS, just ripped it with the wind knowing it would cut and sit. Ended up with a 10 foot tap in (which in the wind isn't a gimme, I used a Serpent, great wind putter) and got a 3. the guys we ended up meeting with on that hole said "Is that a 3?" They said they've only 4'd it a few times. It was definitely a par 4. I love the HL Terns. They rule

I really like the Tern. For my throwing style, however, it isn't very versatile. It has one job, and one job only (that it executes exceptionally well). That is, when the hole is longer than 450 feet with a large landing zone... get me far down the fairway. Put me into position where my Core/Roc can do work to get me up/down for three. That's it. Nothing complicated, but like I said, it does this job very well for my throwing style.

Picked up some sweet ass mysteres tonight. Supposed to be the offspring of a wraith and tern. Haven't thrown them yet since we got them in players packs but after the tournament I'm definitely gonna see how these babies fly. The swirly champ plastic is gorgeous.

I could get into a Tern/Wraith hybrid. Wraith HSS with Tern fade could be a laser machine.

I could get into a Tern/Wraith hybrid. Wraith HSS with Tern fade could be a laser machine.

What are your views on the Krait?

Of course I'm not saying it's the Tern/Wraith hybrid you're describing. Having said that, the Krait is very straight with a dump fade, and definitely between the Wraith and Tern.

I've only thrown one, but I didn't love the rim feel. The flight is okay though.

Picked up some sweet ass mysteres tonight. Supposed to be the offspring of a wraith and tern. Haven't thrown them yet since we got them in players packs but after the tournament I'm definitely gonna see how these babies fly. The swirly champ plastic is gorgeous.

How does it feel compared to term? Similar size rim and shallow?

Picked up a star 175 Tern off a used sale rack here in KC. In calm winds with a RHBH throw I can rip it on a slight hyzer and it will pull into a straight line and glide forever then finish slight left at the end. It hangs with my Blizzard Boss and Blizzard Wraith the two distance kings of my bag. If you don't have one I would recommend giving one a shot.

bc62fce3fbede6d0d6646202760834d6.jpg

I'd say the rim feels more tern like. It's a bit thinner than a wraith. I still haven't thrown them. I plan on taking them to the field tomorrow. All I did today was rest from the tournament.

I really like the Tern. For my throwing style, however, it isn't very versatile. It has one job, and one job only (that it executes exceptionally well). That is, when the hole is longer than 450 feet with a large landing zone... get me far down the fairway. Put me into position where my Core/Roc can do work to get me up/down for three. That's it. Nothing complicated, but like I said, it does this job very well for my throwing style.

That's pretty much what I use it for too. Those holes where the extra 30-50' I can get over my PDs are worth the potential loss of accuracy. Maybe once I dial them in a bit more I can learn to just get a flip to flat throw for some long lazer beam accuracy. Doubt they will ever do that better than my PDs though! Most courses won't call for a lot of tern shots in my area (some not at all even), but it will be nice to always have that hyzer flip distance disc in the bag for when I need it.

That's pretty much what I use it for too. Those holes where the extra 30-50' I can get over my PDs are worth the potential loss of accuracy. Maybe once I dial them in a bit more I can learn to just get a flip to flat throw for some long lazer beam accuracy. Doubt they will ever do that better than my PDs though! Most courses won't call for a lot of tern shots in my area (some not at all even), but it will be nice to always have that hyzer flip distance disc in the bag for when I need it.
Exactly! I played in a tournament this weekend and it was windy, very windy. It was over two days and I threw the Tern one time over 72 holes with various lengths from 180-650. It was either a field hole with tough wind patterns or it was too tight of a fairway and the Valk got the nod instead. It was a bit unlucky, though. If any one of those winds were a tailwind, the Tern would have gone for a ride.

For anyone interested, I threw my Mystere yesterday and really like it. It's crazily easy to throw it straight. It's really like a stable tern, or a flippy wraith. Was getting out past 400 with a hyzer flip, at what felt to be about 80% power. Going straight to the bag.

For anyone interested, I threw my Mystere yesterday and really like it. It's crazily easy to throw it straight. It's really like a stable tern, or a flippy wraith. Was getting out past 400 with a hyzer flip, at what felt to be about 80% power. Going straight to the bag.

*raises paw* Interested. I don't expect to get 400', but it sounds like it'll be fun to try out.

I wasn't expecting that either. There's a hole that's 365 from the tee, then a fence that is 415. I was hitting the fence on a skip, got it a few times in the air. It's almost too easy to throw it far. I'm really hoping they put these in to production, or disc golf values comes up with about 10 of them.

I found one of these in a really nice tye dye after a snow storm melted and the disc was just sitting in the middle of the field. I threw it a few times and loved it! Tons of glide and has the turn I need to flatten out as I have a thin arm and really am not suited for a Speed 12.

Forgot it in a field a few weeks later so I went out and bought one and is one of my top distance discs aside from the Archangel and Mamba. I like discs with a lot of turn and a lot of glide :)

Finally got to throw my new Pro Tern along side some other Terns and my DDx. Pretty disappointed. It is more stable than I expected, especially compared to regular Star Terns. It has the least amount of glide of any Tern I've thrown. It is also the flattest Tern I've ever seen. I'll be trying to add dome to it soon. If that doesn't change, it will be given to a local player in need.

Latest posts