• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Finally got to throw my new Pro Tern along side some other Terns and my DDx. Pretty disappointed. It is more stable than I expected, especially compared to regular Star Terns. It has the least amount of glide of any Tern I've thrown. It is also the flattest Tern I've ever seen. I'll be trying to add dome to it soon. If that doesn't change, it will be given to a local player in need.

Throw it into a brick wall a few times and see if that under-stabilizes it some...

I got decided to take my G* Tern out of the bins and see what I could do with it. I dont have a very big arm - I through a Sandstrom Valkyrie out to 335'. I got the Tern out to the same distance with more turn than the Valkyrie, and what seemed like less effort. It feels great in my hand as well. On another hole I parked it for the first time at 360'. I picked up a Star Tern and its actually a bit more stable but still very nice turn. In a tail wind these things have carried farther than any of my other drivers. Im going to keep carrying it for now, even though Im really not a speed 12 thrower. I really only go up to speed 10 before the increase in speed yields no extra benefits.

Finally got to throw my new Pro Tern along side some other Terns and my DDx. Pretty disappointed. It is more stable than I expected, especially compared to regular Star Terns. It has the least amount of glide of any Tern I've thrown. It is also the flattest Tern I've ever seen. I'll be trying to add dome to it soon. If that doesn't change, it will be given to a local player in need.

I had the same exact experience. I was hoping for more turn and more glide than Star to really stretch out the distance. I got less turn, less glide, and less distance. I'm sticking with Star Terns.

Im going to keep carrying it for now, even though Im really not a speed 12 thrower. I really only go up to speed 10 before the increase in speed yields no extra benefits.

I'm more of a noodle arm than you, and my point of diminishing returns is speed 10-11... with the single exception of the Tern. Not sure what it is, but the Tern goes for me where other speed 12 discs just don't...

I'm more of a noodle arm than you, and my point of diminishing returns is speed 10-11... with the single exception of the Tern. Not sure what it is, but the Tern goes for me where other speed 12 discs just don't...

Who you calling a noodle arm? :| lol

Agreed. I had been waiting for this mold to come out in pro for a long time and was excited to give it a try. Disappointed with the waxy slick blend of pro plastic and found it also to be flatter then both my champ and star Terns and to have considerably less glide than both the champ and star varieties. I am going to keep working with it to see how it beats in and if some of the waxy gloss on the plastic starts to wear off.

I have been having trouble with my Terns lately. As my arm speed has increased, I have noticed a problem with these coming out of my hand too early. I think it is the extra rim size b/c I do not have this problem with my other discs with such regularity (there is always the bad early release throw here or there). I have been throwing my Trespasses more b/c I seem to be able to hold onto them for the appropriate amount of time much easier, and even though I might lose some distance potential, I have much more faith in them not coming out too early. I still love the Tern. On wide open shots that come out early, I still get plenty of distance, it is just far left of where I was aiming (almost no fade, just starts in that direction). I guess I just need to work on my grip some, but it is annoying that I have to treat this mold differently than every other disc I throw.

I'm hooked on gummy champ terns. Not too beefy, not too flippy. Just right. :)

Seems like these were a special run for tournaments, promotions and stuff. Whenever I run across them I buy a few.

With how popular the DDX has been selling out immediately and what not, I'm wondering if Innova will release a tweeked version and call it the Tern-X.

With how popular the DDX has been selling out immediately and what not, I'm wondering if Innova will release a tweeked version and call it the Tern-X.

Doubt they need to. They are making money on both discs.

As I recall, there was already a "tern x" or stabilized tern...http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99357

Either way, the DDX to me is a lot like a fresh champ tern in star plastic. It kicked out my champ terns but my star tern still turns over better. At least for now!

Same for me.

Oh, and I ruined my pro with the hot water trick. The dome is now massive and plh went down to nothing. I'll put it on the dash of my truck to see if it will come back closer to original.

Some, myself included, would argue the Hannah Leatherman Terns are a bit more stable and might fit the bill of a Tern-X?

Some, myself included, would argue the Hannah Leatherman Terns are a bit more stable and might fit the bill of a Tern-X?

HL Terns are seemingly a bit more stable than Star Terns, but while there might be some slight variances in the dome and PLH, the shapes of the discs (especially the rims) are exactly the same. I attribute the relative overstability of my HL Terns to being max wt. and the firm(er) Star plastic molding up that way. JMHO on that, of course.

My 175g HL Terns fly pretty much identical to the 168g S DDx I have. Like the same dang disc with different names. Both HL I have seen to be pretty stable though. Even more so then my 168g Champ Tern and as stable as my 175g Champ Tern.

Both great discs but the DDx haven't kicked anything out of my bag yet. Want to try a max weight and see if it kicks out my beat Destroyer slot but as of now there's no real gap from Terns to Destoryers for me.

I throw a star/champ Tern combo for distance at 167g each. What would be a good driver to pair that would fly similarly into the wind as my star Tern flies in the calm?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

depends on the wind.

DDx is a tern wing so it feels exactly like a tern in the hand and will handle a bit of a headwind. I pull out destroyers in various stages of wear when i feel like I cant trust my tern or ddx.

I agree that the HL Terns are nice. they are more stable than other Terns I've used other than a 175g Champion Tern, that has more beef than the HL stars. But I hope the DDX is made more available as I want one. I love the HL Tern fyi

Latest posts