• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

For me with Shryke vs. Tern it wasn't even about grip. The Tern is shallow, but I never found myself throwing it poorly for that reason.

I'd release the Tern and Shryke on similar lines (slight hyzer flip). They would follow the same path and drift right a bit with some good flex. What really set the Shryke apart was how far it would flex out vs. the Tern. The Tern always seemed to fade out a bit prematurely while the Shryke held the turn longer. I also feel the extra bit of glide in the Shryke vs. the Tern is noticeable.

The Shryke does take a few throws to really dial in. It has a definite sweet spot. Throw it too softly and it'll do nothing but hyzer out. Throw it too hard flat or anny and it flips.

I do like the Tern, but at this point I don't see it working its way back into my bag against the Shryke.

I don't like the Tern. Even when I get a good rip on it and it gets good turn, I really don't like the sudden and abrupt fade that it has. Once it starts to slow down it has absolutely no glide and just searches for the ground.

I don't like the Tern. Even when I get a good rip on it and it gets good turn, I really don't like the sudden and abrupt fade that it has. Once it starts to slow down it has absolutely no glide and just searches for the ground.

This is exactly it for me. I actually DO like the Tern, but I don't bag it for the reasons above. The Tern has a great flight path until the end, when it seems to lose all momentum and fall out of the air like a rock.

For an understable disc, the Tern has a dumpy fade. The DDX has the same fade, but even stronger.

Pro Terns are generally flat and glideless turds. I don't know why, but the pro just didn't seem to work for this mold. They are not very undestable either. I've never been able to throw it enough to break it in either. It's buried in the box labeled "L" somewhere. I would say stick with the Mamba.

Wish I would have read this before I bought 2 of them. They're really not a good disc. I hate buying discs and then they suck so much they never make it past field practice. What a waste.

It's odd, because I've generally found Pro plastic to be the most glidey.

Surprised of all the Tern hate. I don't find mine dumpy at all. It typically doesn't really fade out unless I don't get it up to speed...

I'd say maybe I got a good one but seems to me it's pretty popular, and likely for a reason... no? Mine is Star plastic.

Surprised of all the Tern hate. I don't find mine dumpy at all. It typically doesn't really fade out unless I don't get it up to speed...

I'd say maybe I got a good one but seems to me it's pretty popular, and likely for a reason... no? Mine is Star plastic.

Unless I turn one over in a headwind, my Terns have some of that dump fade... but I'm good with it. I also like the Krait because of its straight flight and dump(y) fade. So I consider this to be somewhat of a positive for the Tern...

Pro Terns are generally flat and glideless turds. I don't know why, but the pro just didn't seem to work for this mold. They are not very undestable either. I've never been able to throw it enough to break it in either. It's buried in the box labeled "L" somewhere. I would say stick with the Mamba.

I haven't tried a Pro Tern yet. Are you still having these problems with Pro Terns? Is this the general consensus from all, that Pro Terns are not very good? TIA for any and all replies...

This is exactly it for me. I actually DO like the Tern, but I don't bag it for the reasons above. The Tern has a great flight path until the end, when it seems to lose all momentum and fall out of the air like a rock.

For an understable disc, the Tern has a dumpy fade. The DDX has the same fade, but even stronger.

I have probably owned over 20 Terns in all plastics. I have still not encountered this discs.

The tern's fade all depends on your power, i would never call it a "dumpy" disc.

Side note, the tern in Luster plastic absolutely bombs.. i need more.

Last edited:
Wish I would have read this before I bought 2 of them. They're really not a good disc. I hate buying discs and then they suck so much they never make it past field practice. What a waste.

It's odd, because I've generally found Pro plastic to be the most glidey.

I had to try a Pro Tern even after hearing all the hate on that particular variant. I had to know if maybe I could cycle one in quicker to replace a Mamba.

I would say the glide is maybe a little less than any of the other plastic I've tried the mold in. The stability is comparable or slightly less than my Star and GStar in similar weight.

The magic of the mold isn't really there, but it would be a fine option for a faster-wearing bottom rung of a Tern distance driver cycle.

I dug out an old F2 165g gstar Tern from the reserve stack and had a great round with it today. Such a perfect match of turn & fade to my arm speed, I can rip it flat at full power and never worry about it turning over too much. I never realized how useful it could be for hyzer flip tunnel shots. It flies similarly to my fuzion renegades, but significantly longer. In fact I'm not sure if I'll keep bagging renegades now.

This disc is not fair. I normally throw nothing faster than speed 9 because let's face it I really have no business throwing faster discs. Picked up a GStar Tern a couple grams lighter than I normally throw distance drivers, and the thing just bombs.

I've tried enough discs to know it's almost always a fool's errand looking for that magic disc that will give you more distance. But somehow the Tern just goes crazy far and is as easy to throw as discs several speeds slower.

For reference I'm throwing 166g GStar Valks around 300 ft on a decent rip, this thing goes like 10-15% father and it really seems like I'm not losing much if any accuracy.

Last edited:
This disc is not fair. I normally throw nothing faster than speed 9 because let's face it I really have no business throwing faster discs. Picked up a GStar Tern a couple grams lighter than I normally throw distance drivers, and the thing just bombs.

I've tried enough discs to know it's almost always a fool's errand looking for that magic disc that will give you more distance. But somehow the Tern just goes crazy far and is as easy to throw as discs several speeds slower.

For reference I'm throwing 166g GStar Valks around 300 ft on a decent rip, this thing goes like 10-15% father and it really seems like I'm not losing much if any accuracy.

You really want to blow your mind, procure a 168ish G* Shryke and compare it to your new Tern. The Shryke will be as long or longer than the Tern.

You really want to blow your mind, procure a 168ish G* Shryke and compare it to your new Tern. The Shryke will be as long or longer than the Tern.

But isn't a Shryke more overstable than a Tern?

Yes the Shryke is more OS than a Tern, and at less than 350' a Tern will probably be just as long as a Shryke, unless the shallowness of the Tern is a problem (it was for me, I can get a Tern to 410', but I can get a Shryke to 450', both in Champ and 166-170g)

Yes the Shryke is more OS than a Tern, and at less than 350' a Tern will probably be just as long as a Shryke, unless the shallowness of the Tern is a problem (it was for me, I can get a Tern to 410', but I can get a Shryke to 450', both in Champ and 166-170g)

I've found pretty much the same. When you start getting over 400' the Tern will often flip over and not come back. A Shryke will flip more mildly and come back late in flight. I've had a lot of Tern throws go a LOOOONNGGGGG way, but far to the right of where I intended. Shrykes tend to have a bit less high speed turn. I also feel like the Tern hyzerflips better than a Shryke. If you put a bunch of hyzer on a Shryke it'll just hold that line and never flatten out.

A Shryke is a touch more overstable than a Tern. I also agree I get cleaner releases on the Shryke than the Tern.

The Tern and Shryke are similar enough that you probably wouldn't feel the need to bag both of them at once.

How are the different plastics flying for people?
I have a 166 champ glow that seems to be working it's way into my bag. I can get a nice flex out of it with a flat release, or add some hyser if I need it to get left. It's in a great spot for my arm speed. I wouldn't mind a back up at some point, and also a slightly more stable one. Maybe a max weight champ glow?
Is it plastic or wind height that seems to dictate the stability?
Do people find star or gstar longer? Similar stability?

Pretty much all champion will me more OS than the other plastics. Even within Champ there will be variations. My one glow was nothing special stability wise. My friends seems to love G*, but I make Star work better for me, and carry 2 of those. Currently, my favorite Terns are EchoStar. The glide is crazy. Because I do not like Champion for drivers, I have replaced those with Shrykes and a Pharaoh. Shrykes are not longer than Terns for me.

Pretty much all champion will me more OS than the other plastics. Even within Champ there will be variations. My one glow was nothing special stability wise. My friends seems to love G*, but I make Star work better for me, and carry 2 of those. Currently, my favorite Terns are EchoStar. The glide is crazy. Because I do not like Champion for drivers, I have replaced those with Shrykes and a Pharaoh. Shrykes are not longer than Terns for me.

Innova seriously needs to bring back estar. I on have experience with Teebirds in that plastic, but it's magical.
How does star work better for you? Distance? Stability?

Latest posts