• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

I usually dont like adding mulligans at any event, be it "ball golf" or disc golf. But i am now considering adding a 3 dollar mulligan. One Mulligan per person per round. Mulligan cash would go to the Jr High here, who just put in 4 baskets to teach the sport. I figured it could buy them some more disc. I would make it where Mulligans can only be used if withing 25-30 feet of where you threw from. Mostly for missed putts, or for drives that hit a tree right off of box. That should keep someone from trying to run 100 feet and re teeing. I did not see this in the rules as couldnt be done.. wanted to get your opinion.

Good idea, but may be tough to enforce/implement. Would need to have a clear cut rule, that is easy to judge, so there would be no grey area and cause arguments on a card.

Might be easier to offer muligans, but only if you use your second disc.

i'm not sure but i'd guess "heavy" is 170+, no clue on how light they'd send. there is a comment section when you register, worst case scenario you try to ask for a specific range and don't get it.

i know i've had people ask about getting lighter weight drivers but still want a heavier putter. that's what i've been suggesting they do.

I just slapped my requested weights in the comment section. We'll see what happens. I wanted the driver around 168, but the putter as heavy as possible.

Interesting, that may just sway me into playing. Like the concept of this event and would give me a reason to try some Vibram discs as well. Kzoo is about an hour away and so is Toledo for me, about smack dab in the middle of the two. Giving me another hour or two of sleep just may swing the vote in your favor. :thmbup:

Then again there is the problem of entering into Ohio. :sick::gross:

j/k :D:D

Just remember that Michigan actually won that border war. We got Toledo, you got the UP. Not even CLOSE to a fair trade-off.

I usually dont like adding mulligans at any event, be it "ball golf" or disc golf. But i am now considering adding a 3 dollar mulligan. One Mulligan per person per round. Mulligan cash would go to the Jr High here, who just put in 4 baskets to teach the sport. I figured it could buy them some more disc. I would make it where Mulligans can only be used if withing 25-30 feet of where you threw from. Mostly for missed putts, or for drives that hit a tree right off of box. That should keep someone from trying to run 100 feet and re teeing. I did not see this in the rules as couldnt be done.. wanted to get your opinion.

It's a good idea to offer a mulligan. I will likely do this at ours also.

However, I think imposing any rule on when/where it can used doesn't make any sense. If you buy a mulligan you should be able to use it at your discretion, period.

I think it's great you would be donating the mully cash, giving back is awesome.

Separate topic: with such highly coveted grand prizes, how do TDs for this event stop cheating?

It's not up to the TD to watch every card, it's up to the player's on each card to enforce rules, just like any tournament. Don't send out any cards with less than 3 players or you could have these problems.

Also, if there are protected/hidden baskets, you may want to ask for a volunteer to be a spotter. We ran an Ace Race a couple of years ago and there were some questions as to whether we actually hit metal or not sometimes when we couldn't see the basket from the tee.

MidMichigan Vibram Birdie Bash at Tittabawassee Trails in Freeland!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember: this is, at heart, an event that is all about fun and growing the sport. I'm sure each event, including mine, will have plenty of really competitive players trying to win the grand prizes...but I would reasont hat the ones who know they aren't in the running and are just there for some sweet discs and a good time will have way more fun. They aren't likely to cheat, because why would they? And most serious, competitive players will not cheat because they generally respect the sport and have enough integrity and pride not to take a tainted victory.

But that's also why I drummed up sponsors and vendors so I have literally an entire tub full of additional prizes for my ring of fire, including discs, stools, towels, minis, stickers, Vibram Open/Players Cup DVDs and more. That will also reduce cheating, because even if you don't win the grand prizes, you still have a good shot at winning more stuff later on.

Especially considering Steven Dodge's goal of 30 VBBs with 30 participants each!

How long are you West Coast TD's waiting for your TD disc packs? I ordered mine last Tuesday and I am getting antsy, because I want to go try them all out! Actually, I also want to go out on warmer days and let more casual players try them and and sign up for the bash.

It took me about a week to get mine, and I'm in the midwest. Shipping was pretty quick, but there was like a 2-3 day turnaround from when I ordered until I got the shipping notification.

I'm glad to hear that a lot of people are getting excited for this. I've let some buddies fondle some discs out of my bag and people are looking forward to checking out some new molds. Got a few people already signed up for my event, but haven't had the time to actually get into St. Louis and post flyers at the major courses over there.

What's the most common combos people are seeing? Most of the holes at my course are in the mid 200's, so I'm going VP and Obex. I'm wanting something overstable in case the April winds are gusting and I can forehand if I need something that finishes right.

Mid-Michigan's Vibram Birdie Bash, May 25 at Tittabawassee Trails!
Tittabawassee Trails, 9290 Midland Rd., Freeland MI 48623
When: Saturday, May 25 (Memorial weekend)
Sign In: 9-9:30
Players' Meeting: 9:30-10am
VBB Start: 10am
VBB End: 4-5pm
Lunch: One hour, not provided
Cost: $25!
Player Pack: Two Vibram discs of your choice, Vibram t-shirt (S-XXL)
# Spots: <75

Tittabawassee Trails is the perfect course for a Birdie Bash! Totally Bashable since the only holes I haven't birdied yet are holes 3 from the long tee (we'll be using the short) and #18. All holes are par 3. We'll have many additional chances to win discs (putting contests, CTP, etc.). You'll also be able to try all the Vibram discs :)

This Birdie Bash is on the Saturday of Memorial weekend, so make sure you can play before signing up!

I bought two of the td packs and it seemed like they showed up 5 days later. Way ahead of what I had planned. There was also some really sweet looking disc in there

I got my set in just a few days. I was quite surprised and happy when they showed up!

So far, it has not helped me decide what to get for the VBB..... I am leaning toward the VP for the putter (it iS the Chuck Norris of putters after all). The Lace seems like the sexy choice, but the Ibex or Obex might sneak in there. I already have the Trak and Ascent (love the Ascent BTW).

Latest posts