• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The VJ DQ - What's a Caddy?

jenb

* Ace Member *
Don't see a thread yet on Val's DQ today because her mom allegedly possessed alcohol or something. A friend posted pictures showing Val carrying her own bag all day today and asked why her Mother would be considered her caddy. Is it because her mom did not stay only in spectator areas? Does anyone know?

The competition manual states:

In PDGA Majors and National Tour events, the group consists of the players themselves, each player's individual caddy, any active Tournament staff such as leaderboard attendants, Tournament Officials, etc. and any credentialed media ONLY. No other people may be with the playing group. All others (including players who have already finished their round) are considered spectators and must remain in designated spectator areas away from the playing group.

I started this topic in the rules section for a reason. Can we please keep this discussion in this thread about the rules? I'm just asking you to start a different thread in a more appropriate section of the forum for that discussion, like maybe the landfill.

Per DGCR rules, you can't start a thread in the landfill. :|

Yes, I saw that. But it doesn't say why her mother was deemed to be her caddy when Val was carrying her own bag all day.

There is no requirement that the person designated as a caddie must carry the player's bag. If Val wanted her mother to walk with her as part of the group (vs. with the gallery), she could say her mother is her caddie.

Don't see a thread yet on Val's DQ today because her mom allegedly possessed alcohol or something. A friend posted pictures showing Val carrying her own bag all day today and asked why her Mother would be considered her caddy. Is it because her mom did not stay only in spectator areas? Does anyone know?

In PDGA Majors and National Tour events, the group consists of the players themselves, each player's individual caddy, any active Tournament staff such as leaderboard attendants, Tournament Officials, etc. and any credentialed media ONLY. No other people may be with the playing group. All others (including players who have already finished their round) are considered spectators and must remain in designated spectator areas away from the playing group.

There was a period of time late in the round where Val was not carrying her bag. She did indeed have a caddy. As such, the rules referred to in the statement apply.

There was a period of time late in the round where Val was not carrying her bag. She did indeed have a caddy. As such, the rules referred to in the statement apply.

Although part 2 is not out yet (As of this posting), the announcer Cory mentions at about the 3:20 mark, that Val's mom was indeed caddying for her "at one point."

https://youtu.be/PuOXdh6tQwE

Last edited:

Round 2 is up. Go to hole 26A, approx 31:00. Judge for yourselves.

https://youtu.be/8IcuTJOef0w

Round 2 is up. Go to hole 26A, approx 31:00. Judge for yourselves.

https://youtu.be/8IcuTJOef0w

ugh...dumb dumb dumb. Its pretty clear that everyone was informed of the rules against alcohol during the competition, but then to break that rule AND be caught on camera doing it? UGH.
Better that Val was DQ'ed when she was rather than some keyboard internet warrior getting a screenshot of her Mom toting a beer around once the videos got released.

Honestly, the best thing to happen now would be for Val (and her Mom) to release a full statement apologizing for their actions to the PDGA, tourney staff, fellow players, park department and Videographers involved. Only then, Maybe, will this "blow over".

Honestly, the best thing to happen now would be for Val (and her Mom) to release a full statement apologizing for their actions to the PDGA, tourney staff, fellow players, park department and Videographers involved. Only then, Maybe, will this "blow over".
Lol, they should release a statement explaining how dumb this rule is and saying they will continue to breaking it during competition.

Lol, they should release a statement explaining how dumb this rule is and saying they will continue to breaking it during competition.

Ha! Truly LOL. Yah, I suppose that would be one way to handle it....

Didn't I see in the other thread that it is illegal to have alcohol in that park? I guess they could tell the Judge how dumb that law is while paying their fine, but I don't think that would do them any good...but I ain't a lawyer.

i have met Val a couple time and she was very nice. I always cheer for her when she is playing. She does amazing work promoting the sport for women, but she screwed up this time and she need to own it.

Did you post that to show Todd's fatigue on that hole or to show someone caddying for Val? There's a shot at the end as Val holes out with someone carrying a bag, but IDK if that's Val's bag. Just curious.

I'm pretty sure that's Val's blue Grip bag and the person carrying the bag has a cozy in their hand.

Latest posts