• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

I just got my King, and can't really throw it right. It's too overstable for a weak arm like mine. It feels like I could have monster throws with it though, if I could just keep it from fading early.

FWIW, I use a Surge for distance normally. The Katana is too flippy, and I find the Nuke and TeeRex throwable, but a little more overstable than I like.

In my last disc order, I bought bot the King and the Boatman. I picked up one in VIP plastic, and the other in Tournament plastic, and think both are excellent. I'll take Westside plastics over Innova any day. I just don't know how many more discs I want to purchase, trying to find one that fits me.

The Boatman, by the way, has a really thick rim. From what I can tell, it's just a Predator, made by a different brand. The stamp on it looks awesome.

You are going to love that disc...The only reason it is flying overstable is because of the sharp plastic flash at the bottom of the disc. This is common on Westside/Lat 64 discs and it makes them fly much more overstable when new. I rub it off with a microfiber towel folded in half a couple of times before I even throw it. If you can wear that down your disc will fly much better and it will not be having that early fading problem.

Could someone explain the flashing found on the bottom of the Lat 64/Westside discs? I have a pain, flow, and a couple of rivers all in GL plastic. Also a XXX in Opto. I can't tell a difference between these and my other discs.

Could someone explain the flashing found on the bottom of the Lat 64/Westside discs? I have a pain, flow, and a couple of rivers all in GL plastic. Also a XXX in Opto. I can't tell a difference between these and my other discs.

Theres no gaurantee that all Lat 64/ Westsides have the flashing problem...they just are rather common with those brands. It's basically extra plastic on either the inside edge of the rim, or the middle of the bottom (belly button). Just try to smooth it out as much as you can and the disc will become slighly less overstable. I havn't had many problems with flashing on my Lat 64 discs, other than my GL Havoc.

I actually decided to keep the flashing on my Havoc, I didn't want it to turn anymore than it did, and didn't want to lose any of the dependable late fade.

Do all Kings have the dimple/bump in the middle of the flight plate? VIP and Tournament?

I have started calling mine a "pot belly King" because it makes the King on the stamp look fat.

:popcorn:

Attachments

• WestsideKing170VIP.jpg
    WestsideKing170VIP.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 55
Theres no gaurantee that all Lat 64/ Westsides have the flashing problem...they just are rather common with those brands. It's basically extra plastic on either the inside edge of the rim, or the middle of the bottom (belly button). Just try to smooth it out as much as you can and the disc will become slighly less overstable. I havn't had many problems with flashing on my Lat 64 discs, other than my GL Havoc.

I actually decided to keep the flashing on my Havoc, I didn't want it to turn anymore than it did, and didn't want to lose any of the dependable late fade.

thanks man!

So removing the flashing causes a slight decrease in stability?

Yeah I'm pretty sure all of them have that, I have a slight dimple in the middle of the flight plate on my GL flow as well. I'm sure it doesn't affect anything but it looks kind of funny.

You are going to love that disc...The only reason it is flying overstable is because of the sharp plastic flash at the bottom of the disc. This is common on Westside/Lat 64 discs and it makes them fly much more overstable when new. I rub it off with a microfiber towel folded in half a couple of times before I even throw it. If you can wear that down your disc will fly much better and it will not be having that early fading problem.

I hope that you're right. I'll give that a try, because as it stands right now, it is the most overstable disc I've ever thrown.

Do all Kings have the dimple/bump in the middle of the flight plate? VIP and Tournament?

I have started calling mine a "pot belly King" because it makes the King on the stamp look fat.

:popcorn:

My tournament plastic king is super flat. I don't seem to have the belly issue. I have a challenger with a "belly" though. It may just be a mold release issue.

Almost all the first runs in both plastics had the dimple (was especially pronounced on the VIPs tho). I haven't seen many since.

not sure about dimples, but my 170g king utterly amazes me. mine absolutely is faster than anything i have thrown. like a rocket. more importantly it is substantially longer and not prone to unpredictable flights. only problem i am having is overdriving holes that i would normally come up short on unless I nailed the timing. love it.

I'm not sure about my Tournament king that I picked up over the weekend. Not to sure on what I think about it. I mainly throw RHBH, but it's a good FH disc for me. However when I throw it RHBH it's a little to under stable for me.

We recieved one in the player pack for the Am Worlds, and my buddy promptly threw it in his bag and aced #2 at Chili with it during the tourney! Not an easy hole, BTW!

Can't believe this thread hasn't even had a post in like 8 months, because I find the King to be an amazing disc. It has an understable flightpath and I would say the actual numbers on the disc are way off, but just try to ignore that. The disc does require some height and some room to work with, but hit the correct line and it will go crazy far. I got the tourney red/gold colorshift and it is a beauty. I'm curious what other discs out there are similar, the only other disc that I have thrown similar is the Havoc, but I felt like I couldn't control it as well.

I like the kings but I have found out they have limited uses in my bag. I use my kings on big sweeping annies and for drives when I need a disc to flip around and obstacles. I do find that they function better with big air underneath them. These seem to struggle when there is a limited ceiling.

My power lvl is in the 400 range

Cheers - Koffee

King and havoc both too understable for me.. I threw them and didnt like em so they never made the bag. I never spent too much time trying them since then cuz I feel theres too many discs out there for me "to have to work with" in order to get it do what I want it to do. I think i could figure out a line with any disc if I threw it enough. If the numbers were more accurate, I would have never bought either of them.. I tend to release as flat as possible all the time and just disc up or down in stability to give me the shot I need. Both these discs have too much LSS for me to get any good straight distance shots out of em.. If I had a hyzer release Id be feeling different for sure :)