• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Zone GT Megathread

Zone GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Surge5

Self-Appointed Cubic Zirconia Club Manager
Gold level trusted reviewer
The general public was able to get their hands on Discraft's Zone GT battle packs yesterday, one with the groove top of the Ringer GT and one of the Banger GT. As an avid Zone fan myself, I'll be taking delivery of mine on Monday. Let's hear feedback on them and also come back and vote on the post here for the one you'd like to see go into production.

Haven't tried them, won't buy the pack, but I'm mildly excited and know from previous experience that I generally like discs with Ringer-type tops (Rhyno, Animal, Pig, Ringer, etc) and I can't stand the Banger GT.

Zinger for me. Out with the Zanger.

The general public was able to get their hands on Discraft's Zone GT battle packs yesterday, one with the groove top of the Ringer GT and one of the Banger GT. As an avid Zone fan myself, I'll be taking delivery of mine on Monday. Let's hear feedback on them and also come back and vote on the post here for the one you'd like to see go into production.
I don't understand the concept, tbh. People pay to get two test discs, and then they are expected to provide Discraft feedback so they can decide which disc to put into production.

Seems Discraft should be paying people to test their products, not the other way around.

I don't understand the concept, tbh. People pay to get two test discs, and then they are expected to provide Discraft feedback so they can decide which disc to put into production.

Seems Discraft should be paying people to test their products, not the other way around.
I think they're betting on them being worth money down the line. I dont care, I want to try something between the standard Zone and ZoneOS.

It sounds stupid to me but they sure have got people jumping on the bandwagon so good on em I guess?

Maybe I'm missing out on something but I've thrown zones a ton and never wished it had a groovetop …

It sounds stupid to me but they sure have got people jumping on the bandwagon so good on em I guess?

Maybe I'm missing out on something but I've thrown zones a ton and never wished it had a groovetop …
groove tops don't make sense for me and my grip because I never put my thumb enough towards the center of the disc to use them.

groove tops don't make sense for me and my grip because I never put my thumb enough towards the center of the disc to use them.

Agreed, the Ringer/Thumbtrack idea makes more sense based on where it actually is on the top of the flight plate.

Agreed, the Ringer/Thumbtrack idea makes more sense based on where it actually is on the top of the flight plate.
That's my initial thought as well.

I think they're betting on them being worth money down the line. I dont care, I want to try something between the standard Zone and ZoneOS.
I am not sure I can define this. Between putter line (D?), ESP, Jawbreaker, FLX, Z, Swirly, Sparkle and then add in a pretty large variation in dome......I am not sure there is a ton of space between the most stable of the above and the OS to warrant this gimmick. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Discraft succeed and make money, they are the bread and butter of SE Michigan disc golf.

Don't have a dog in the fight but the Banger top is more OS from what I've seen. So that one.

I don't think this will be a new Zone. I think we are seeing the development of a whole new disc. It is only the Zone bottom...so I don't think they would add it to their Zone line...especially since no Zone has a thumbtrak or groove. I do think it is not a really good test to decide on only one of them. The Banger GT and Ringer GT are two different flights....Banger GT is a stable/neutral 2 speed and the Ringer GT is an overstable 4 speed. From the YT tests I've seen, the 'proto' versions act just like the version they are copied from. Some players will prefer a stable/neutral disc and others will vote for the overstable version. So there is just too much difference between the two versions to actually give them a fair comparison/test.

I don't think this will be a new Zone. I think we are seeing the development of a whole new disc. It is only the Zone bottom...so I don't think they would add it to their Zone line...especially since no Zone has a thumbtrak or groove. I do think it is not a really good test to decide on only one of them. The Banger GT and Ringer GT are two different flights....Banger GT is a stable/neutral 2 speed and the Ringer GT is an overstable 4 speed. From the YT tests I've seen, the 'proto' versions act just like the version they are copied from. Some players will prefer a stable/neutral disc and others will vote for the overstable version. So there is just too much difference between the two versions to actually give them a fair comparison/test.

I think instead of putting new names on it, they're just expanding the Zone line same as they did the Buzzz line (Zone SS coming soon???). While that isn't explicitly said, the line "First Run Zone GT" in the article below makes me think that will be the final name. I'm interested to see what the differences will be at my local all-upshot course. Also gonna get a Zone OS to throw in the comparisons as well.

I should really get out and grab one of these packs... all I know is: I regret not owning a Slipstream GT anymore. That old weird shit is fun to show to new players.

So who's thrown them? Good, bad, still just a zone?
So I got a few throws in a field last night and they both fly in-between a Zone and Zone OS for me.

The Zinger is the more overstable of my pair and flies about 4,2,+.25,4, whereas the Zanger flies around 4,2.5,0,3.5, stock Zone numbers are 4,3,0,3, and the Zone OS is 4,2,+1,5. For me the Zinger will fight out of anhyzer quite well whereas the Zanger holds it further but still tries to fight out towards the end. I haven't been able to course test them yet (I'm planning on shooting an 18 hole challenge if the weather cooperates) but I have a feeling the Zinger will win, and not just because of the more familiar feel (longtime Rhyno thrower) but also because I can trust it to do what I want, and the slightly less glide should help with that.

Also for those curious the Zinger is like a premium plastic pig, but better, and less chunky.

I did the Zone GT Challenge yesterday and it was interesting. Let me get this out of the way first....I don't throw the Discraft Zone and I don't care for the disc. I have two on my shelf, but I really don't like them. Now that is out of the way....

Background:
The Zone GT Challenge is testing two prototype discs. It's two molds combined. The bottom is the Zone (4/3/0/3) and the top is another putter, either the Banger GT (2/3/0/1) with a groove around the top or the Ringer GT (3/3/0/3) with a slight groove track (actually more of a ridge). You get a package with the two discs (no swapping around due to the scannable code that comes with the BattlePack). After playing/testing, you then scan the code, vote for which one you like the best, and answer a survey. When the BattlePack challenge is over, Discraft will choose the most liked disc to go to production.

The details:
My two disc pack was a Green Zone/Banger-GT Concept and an Orange Zone/Ringer-GT Concept (that's the wording on the discs).

One interesting thing I noticed pretty quickly is the 'optical illusion'. The Zone/Banger-GT appears to be larger than the Zone/Ringer-GT. I brought it up with other players and they agreed, the Zone/Banger-GT LOOKS larger for some reason....maybe the deep and wide groove causes the illusion. But they are both the same except for rim depth.

The regular Zone has a rim depth of 13 MM; while the Zone/Banger-GT version is 14 MM and the Zone/Ringer-GT is 12 MM. Checking the base three discs on TryDiscs.com, the Zone has a rim depth of 1.3 CM, the Banger-GT is 1.6 CM, and the Ringer-GT is 1.1 CM. So that makes sense that the Zone/Ringer-GT version has a shallower rim depth. This was noticeable to me and others when throwing forehands.

Onto the testing results:
Plastic-I'm not sure what plastic they are. They are translucent, so I'm guessing either the Flex or Z plastic. Since I don't know Discraft plastic that well, I'll compare it to Innova's plastics and these discs are like Champion plastic. I don't care for the plastic. For me it is too hard and slick. I prefer plastic like Innova's Star plastic. The basic Zone I have is Pro-D and that is a 'likeable' plastic.

Stability-The Zone/Banger-GT was more overstable for me. The Zone/Ringer-GT held more of a straight line before fading. With the Z/B-GT, I had to put it on an anhyzer to get a worthwhile flight out of it.

Throws-this is where the type of groove had an affect.

Backhand-I didn't throw many backhands as I'm not fully accurate with them and didn't want to lose a disc in the water or over a fence. However, the few backhands I did throw confirmed the Z/B-GT was the most overstable of the two. As for the Z/B-GT groove, my thumb fit into the groove on the top and I didn't feel like my thumb got 'caught' in the groove on the throw. The groove 'bump' on the underside is a different story. When using a fan grip (my usual backhand grip), my finger tips were on the bump...it was a bit distracting, but I don't feel it affected the flight. With a powergrip, my fingers were not on the bump and I didn't notice it. The Z/R-GT was better for my backhand as I could only slightly feel the ridge and it did not affect my throw at all. Thoughts: They were both good for backhands, if that was all I was using to base my decision on...it's pretty much even.

Forehand-The Z/B-GT failed for me here. The deeper rim (even though it was very minor, it was noticeable) made a difference with my throws. The groove just didn't work for my thumb placement; I would start with the thumb in the middle of the groove, but it would slide to the outer lip of the groove and just wasn't comfortable, plus it tended to cause the disc to be on more of a hyzer. The bump did not interfere with my forehand fan grip. The Z/R-GT was much better for my forehand with the shallower rim and the ridge didn't interfere with my grip. The Z/B-GT was off line more than the Z/R-GT. I felt I had more control with the Z/R-GT. Thoughts: The Z/R-GT was the clear winner here.

Putting-Both felt good with my putting grip. Since I'm a backhand putter, my thumb fit into the Z/B-GT groove just fine. Neither one was really uncomfortable, nor did the groove or ridge affect my putting. What did make a difference here though was the stability. The Z/R-GT was much straighter and was my 'go-to' putter for the round, which made it the clear winner here.

At the end of the testing, my vote went to the Z/R-GT. It was just the better all-around disc for my use. Will I bag it? Nope, it just isn't the disc for me. Both will go on my shelf for now, but I may take them out for some field work.

Of the players I talked to, the majority liked the Z/R-GT. They felt the Z/B-GT was more overstable and didn't care for the groove. The groove seems to be the bigger issue....does your thumb fit in the groove comfortably enough?

Latest posts