• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

There Is No Disc

Halcón

Free At Last
I've seen the threads come and go. "What do you suggest I throw for this shot...?" "What's the best driver...mid....putter...?"

It's been said many times, "It's not the arrow."

Don't get me wrong. I have my bag, and my preferences.

But any of us could flip our bags around, disc up, disc down, switch companies, plastics...everything and anything. After the initial transition phase, we'd be none the worse for wear.

Am I off my rocker?

I think you're right, its not so much about what mold you're throwing, its just about knowing a mold really well, trusting it and sticking with it even if it starts sucking temporarily. Also, different molds fit different styles of play, you have to figure out which molds fit your style best, or in some cases let a disc change your style (such as the fuse has been doing for me lately).

I've seen the threads come and go. "What do you suggest I throw for this shot...?" "What's the best driver...mid....putter...?"

But any of us could flip our bags around, disc up, disc down, switch companies, plastics...everything and anything. After the initial transition phase, we'd be none the worse for wear.

Am I off my rocker?

Nope......seen plenty of people do it. I got some discs from Gateway on a Wednesday....and switched my bag out for a tournament that weekend. Ended up using a Starfire (when they were legit) and all else was gateway and shot my first back to back 1000 rated rounds.

Pretty much went on a tear for a while after that tournament

Look at all the sponsored player switches in the past few years......nobody fell off a cliff after the change....and if anything the fresh start can be beneficial.

It's mostly preference.. When I ask what is the "best disc". I'm just asking to see what everyone else thinks. Then I take the 5-6 most popular choices and test them all based of grip, consistency, etc.. It is mostly the person who throws the disc though.. When you talk Putters though. It's simply a preference. I putt well with the Anode and horrible with most other discs, that's just a fact.

yeah i totally agree. When i first started my buddy told me it would take 3 years to build my bag to where i like it, he was right. But At one point early on i went to teebird leopard roc challenger for 6 months. I chose these because they are tried and true. After i got those to fly as advertised i started to go back and build my bag using what i learned from those 4 discs. now none of those are bagged, but i kept them around for times when my stuff is crap to rebuild my foundation.

This makes me laugh. Right underneath this are two threads asking, "Best upshot disc?" and "Push putting disc?"

But no, you're not crazy. I totally agree.

Sometimes I want to punch people in the ****ing face on here, but then I tell myself I'm on an internet forum. Yes I am with you, no it does not matter what you are throwing...and there is no such thing as a "better" disc.

Both an FD3S and a DC5 can win the same race.

This is just like the Matrix, "There is no spoon." Once you finally realize there is no disc, you will throw 800'. The true reality that "There is no disc."

Am I off my rocker?
That's probably the best way to look at equipment, but I'm not sure that would work for everyone. Some people base their game around throwing all their discs the same and letting "the disc do the work." If they were given discs they weren't super familiar with they'd have a hard time adjusting. If you work to control your discs and purposefully shape lines, like the pro's Scoot_er is talking about, then what you throw is less important.

Either way, there are discs that perform better than others. You can objectively rate discs based on how they perform. It's just not as big of a deal as some people believe.

This is just like the Matrix, "There is no spoon." Once you finally realize there is no disc, you will throw 800'. The true reality that "There is no disc."

When you see a guy shoot an 18 on an 18 hole course you'll know the machines won.:eek:

Sometimes its the arrow, not the archer.

- noobs throwing warp speed stuff
- noodle arms throwing overstable stuff
- growing players throwing 4/10 DX that is too flippy for most shots

For the most part,* OP is for pretty much spot on. A few weeks ago, I threw a couple of rounds with a bag full of discs I've acquired over the years, stuff I hadn't thrown for years or whatever. Still threw a pretty decent round... but only because I had a clue as to how to put together a balanced bag. If you have a decent idea of how different discs behave, and you know how to throw, you'll get decent results.

I said "for the most part" because while there is no one disc, you do need to be aware of just how different they can be, and how they'll behave when you throw them. I'm not talking about subtle differences like a River v. JLS, or a Roc v. Buzzz. I mean like differences between a Predator and a Road Runner.

Say you're teeing off from an elevated pad on a hole with thick rough on either side of a reasonably tight fairway... with a decent wind. You're telling me it's all about The Archer, and The Arrow truly doesn't matter? I defy anyone to throw a Predator and a Road Runner with the same shot, and get similar results. I would argue that a good archer knows how to select and use the their arrows, and knows how to compensate when using various different arrows.

Don't get me wrong, it comes down to player skill. But you have to acknowledge that the arrows can certainly be different - none may actually be "better," but some are certainly better for ceratin types of shots and or circumstances. Skilled players can compensate successfully by adjusting their throwing style and release angles to adapt.

Last edited:
While i agree with the OP... New technology is new technology.

Question for you.... do you still carry one of these?

1382778_old_brick_cell_phone.jpg

Fact of the matter is while the old stuff still works... sometimes better stuff comes along and changes the way people play. Especially the players that have been playing for 5-10 years.

Sometimes I want to punch people in the ****ing face on here, but then I tell myself I'm on an internet forum. Yes I am with you, no it does not matter what you are throwing...and there is no such thing as a "better" disc.

Both an FD3S and a DC5 can win the same race.

This is hilarious coming from you. I've never seen anyone buy more discs from different companies and switch out their entire bag like you. I think since I've known you I've seen you swith from Aviars to Ions and Anodes to Magnets....Innova drivers and fairway drivers to Lat 64 then to Millennium. I never know what the hell you're going to pull out of your bag next. I've seen you go from Buzzes to Fuses to the Vector and Axis back to Buzzes and then back to the Fuse. Then you have the Drone in the bag then Drone goes out and the Zone comes back in then the Drone appears again. :wall::wall:

It good to see you on the site again amigo... you coming to tags tonight if we don't get washed out by this big storm coming our way?

If there weren't advantages to throwing certain types of discs in certain situations, there would be no need to all these different types of discs.

Ultimately, it's just easier to throw something stable on a hyzer and something understable an anhyzer. It's not impossible to do the opposite, obviously. Actually I tell people the moment I felt I had the hang of this game was when I was throwing stable discs on anhyzers and understable discs on hyzers.

But saying all that, it's about nearly impossible to throw something understable into a headwind and make it hyzer on a shot longer than about 150 feet.

Latest posts