• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This disc is a game changer

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Sorry, don't have any magic here.

Was reading a few "in the bag" threads and wondered what discs you feel were a game changer for your particular game and why?

I'm not loyal to Innova, but most of my plastic is Innova. I was originally given a couple of wraith's and a discmania putter.

One wraith was a translucent plastic, but not sure specifically what plastic—it was worn abd now lost. The other is pro plastic and I still throw it.

My best drives are Pro Katanas. I like the Truth for a mid, but have some Buzz's that i like as well.

Fairway drivers are a Hatchet and a Pro Beast.

Putters are a mix based on feel. Judge, Warden, Aviar, and SS Wizard all see time occasionally. The Wizard is my true putter. Still trying to sort out the rest.

I've also got an escape in base plastic that flies really far, but is kind of touchy.

I think that's one thing I care about is discs that aren't too sensitive. It's one reason I prefer heavier discs. Lighter discs may fly further on occasion, but much harder to be consistent with and they are more wi d sensitive.

Tldr: what discs do you love?

The first disc that I discovered that really made a noticeable difference in my game was probably the Harp. It was my go-to disc for anything inside 250 for a long time.

The FD was another "game changer" for me. The control it gave me to really shape shots just really clicked with my game.

Funny thing is that I don't bag either of these discs anymore but I would say both of them were instrumental to developing my game into what it is today.

My bag has been in flux since I started in 2019. I like variety, and I'll intentionally find competitive molds to molds I already like, instead of continuing with a mold. I agree the Harp was key for me to finally get the hang of approach shots. Especially forehand. It's been in and out of the bag. I can use just about any disc for similar approaches now. I threw an FD flick 120' on a high hyzer line around some bushes and threw it in yesterday. I really don't know why I grabbed that disc. Normally now i'd use a Berg or Envy for that throw.

Find a mid or fairway disc you can throw hard on a steep hyzer, and flip up and go straight. (Essence, Heat, Sidewinder, Bounty, Origin, etc).

Find a putter you can throw hard and it goes dead straight (Envy, P2, Warden, Pure, etc).

I will say that I really want to dislike the Innova Wraith. However, that is a stubbornly fantastic mold. I now have more Wraiths than any other single disc (5). Well, I have 5 P2s as well.

Last edited:
My bag keeps changing, but dang, I keep coming back to the Innova Sidewinder. Every time I think I've found a better disc, eventually...the Sidewinder is back in my bag.

DX, Champion, Star, Halo....doesn't matter what plastic, the Sidewinder just works for me.

The other disc that I have trouble keeping out of my bag is the Latitude 64 River in Opto plastic. Haven't tried any other plastic, but why would I when this one works so well.

Other than those two, everything else keeps changing.

My bag keeps changing, but dang, I keep coming back to the Innova Sidewinder. Every time I think I've found a better disc, eventually...the Sidewinder is back in my bag.

DX, Champion, Star, Halo....doesn't matter what plastic, the Sidewinder just works for me.

The other disc that I have trouble keeping out of my bag is the Latitude 64 River in Opto plastic. Haven't tried any other plastic, but why would I when this one works so well.

Other than those two, everything else keeps changing.

I was doing a solo round and came up on this guy that had 3 kids with him. We talked a minute and he had this Lat 64 disc he insisted I give a try. Wish I could remember what it was. I like the Lat 64 stuff I've thrown. I've got a beginner set from them that has a mid I still use for turnovers if it's not windy.

Putters I've pretty much settled on Wizards, Envies, and Zones. Had a brief fling with Links but ended up crawling back to my Wizards like I always do.

A DX Eagle X was the first disc I ever broke 300 with so that mold has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Currently bag 2 DX and a Champ.

I really like Trespasses as well for my Max D shots. I max around 350 but I can still get them to fly pretty much how theyre supposed to whereas most other wide rim drivers just hyzer out on me.

My bag has had a long, slow evolution over the years. There are really only a handful of discs that I felt were really game changing for my approach.

First was the Destroyer; when it first came out, I started throwing completely new lines on some holes. It allowed me to throw over the top or take a big hyzer line on holes where I previously struggled to hit a gap or lay down a precise roller. There has always been an evolution in disc speed but for me, this was the big "aha" moment. Nowadays I throw a knockoff (Outlaw).

Comet is another one. For years I relied on beat versions of whatever my main/stable midrange was (usually a Roc). But losing a perfectly seasoned one would be devastating. The Comet dropped into that slot for me perfectly, a fresh Z falls right into the semi-beat Roc slot. An X can quickly get to the "controllably flippy" stage. They also have so much glide, now I throw Comets on a lot of holes where I used to throw fairways like Leopards or Stalkers.

Probably the only other one that changed my game was the S-line PD when they first came out. Once seasoned, they gave the ability to throw far without a ton of side-to-side movement. Truly the "longer Teebird" that everyone was looking for in the past.

Innova Champ XD. I was throwing P-38s and Super Puppies type stuff. The XD such a leap, and I see its DNA is all sorts of contemporary discs.

I was doing a solo round and came up on this guy that had 3 kids with him. We talked a minute and he had this Lat 64 disc he insisted I give a try. Wish I could remember what it was. I like the Lat 64 stuff I've thrown. I've got a beginner set from them that has a mid I still use for turnovers if it's not windy.

I got the River off a friend of mine. We were practicing in a field and he said "you should try this". I tried it and it worked for me....so he gave it to me. I've had it in my bag since.

The River is a 7/7/-1/1. Glides forever and is pretty straight for me. I can throw it backhand and forehand, which is great.

I will say the Wizard....anyone can putt...from a small child to a senior citizen....finding a putter you have 100% confidence in is a gamechanger imo.

Even tho I have mids and fairways I can't live without, It takes so much skill, effort, and technique to execute shots with them compared to a putt.
I always blame myself for putting errors...it is the most user-error part of the game that requires the least amount of physical effort.

DGCR and the Comet is my stock answer.. Without DGCR there would never have been a Comet in my bag, I had a lot of discs pre DGCR... I got one on the general recommendation and got a lot better fast...

Had to get over the rim etc, but I had always gravitated towards smooth rims, meteor buzzz. I used a Buzzz as a putter for at least 2 years haha. Probably why I love the envy.

I gotta agree with jakebake too, the ion totally changed my game. I had a comet a few months prior and the crowd here were crapping their pants how much they loved the ion.. Got a 2nd run medium... couldn't throw it worth a ****.. Watched Mike C pound them for miles.. The Ion at 174g actually hurt me, I couldn't and had to stop fighting the disc.

Threw nothing but a comet an ion (and a 164 champion orc for money rounds only) for about 5 months. Now I'm on the awesome side of mediocre!

The lightweight orc I found was also a gamechanger it was the lightest disc I was able to easily control and actually get better distance than a surge.

I have many answers, most of which are in my bag.
- Z Buzzz was the first. Initially, I realized how straight this was for backhand approaches, and then I realized how well it suits my forehand approach game.
- Zone - it was a go-to for forehand approaches for a long time, currently a bit less so
- Champ Firebird. I mean, is there a more useful meathook for skips, overhands, headwinds, etc.?
- Star Teebird. Not ridiculously overstable, but enough so to be amazing on all sorts of flex lines. How many speed 7 discs can go this far?
- DX Polecat. I haven't found anything better for line shaping with approaches or basket runs or downhills that can't fade out.
- Pro Leopard. Reliable turnover and sneaky woods distance without being too flippy for me.

There are many others, but those are the ones I can remember over my "career" that are still in the bag and awesome at what they do for me.

Drones since 2008.

They are *quite* overstable but unlike some of their counterparts they're very workable. Straight with fade with power, flexes out on an anhyzer well, handles poor FH torque reasonably, skips very reliably, powers down well, scoobers/tomahawks/thumbers for days, great landing on grenades, blah blah blah. After about 14 years you get to know a mold very well.

There's other molds I can talk about but this is by far #1

For me it's the roadrunner. I went through a period where I was trying to flex fast, overstable discs for my distance drives and it just lead to me strong arming and trying to throw way too hard. The roadrunner rewards smooth, controlled swings and absolutely bombs. They are also the only "distance" driver I've found that I can consistently throw a long turnover that finishes right, without randomly turning into a throller.

Eagle X would be a close second.

Latest posts