• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why the PDGA has a dress code.

i've played in three pdga tourneys now.. i wore an old t-shirt and dusty sneakers in every one.

As I mentioned earlier, I feel pretty strongly that some social standards should be in place. I don't necessarily mean rules, but instead just social pressure that the disc golf course is some place where you should look and behave like a normal functioning member of society rather than a cretinous, drug-addled gorilla.

That having been said, I really don't think that dress code or lack thereof is hurting the sport's legitimacy. When I mention disc golf to someone, they don't go, "Oh, that game with all the dirty hippies" -- they usually go, "Disc whuh?" And when I explain, you can tell that they think I'm "just playin' with frisbees in the woods." I think that that the general population's familiarity with flying discs as a toy, rather than a piece of sporting equipment, is what hurts the legitimacy of the sport. Disc Golf is nowhere near well-known enough for the dress habits of players to be a significant factor.

I have never watched a tourney video and thought to myself that anyone was improperly dressed. Its a rugged outdoor sport.

If we are talking about a professional sport, look the part of a professional. The question really is, what should a professional look like in this sport?

images

Dusty sneakers are a requirement. It would be nice though to make hairy fat men wear shirts when they play. Throw up does not taste good.

Seriously, nothing worse for the sport than fat hairy men without shirts.

If you judge someone on appearance alone, shame on you! I myself generally dress well because I can afford to. Others are not so fortunate. Is it fair to scrutinize someone because they don't shop at REI or The Great Outdoor Provision Company (awesome store, btw)? I HATE the game of ball golf, simply because of the snobbish people who play it. If disc golf ever gets to that point, then it's time for me to find a new hobby.
As for those of you who think that a cleaner image is needed for a sport to become mainstream, you've obviously not paid much attention to skate boarding and or BMX. What DG needs are more pros with personality, like Nikko and E'Mac.

This is pretty far down the list of why we aren't taken seriously.

Right, and how you dress for a job interview is pretty far down the list of whether you get the job...or how you're perceived by a potential employer.

Hell, I'm rocking Nike Golf gear for my 2012 tournaments as an Am player - and it's kinda funny because I think people get intimidated. I think it's funny how when image is discussed people always default to the argument "oh you just care what others think" - newsflash ALL of you care what others think. Just own up to it and stop the BS 16-year-old rebellion line of thinking please.

We should take pride in our sport, and in ourselves as competitors.

As I mentioned earlier, I feel pretty strongly that some social standards should be in place. I don't necessarily mean rules, but instead just social pressure that the disc golf course is some place where you should look and behave like a normal functioning member of society rather than a cretinous, drug-addled gorilla.

That having been said, I really don't think that dress code or lack thereof is hurting the sport's legitimacy. When I mention disc golf to someone, they don't go, "Oh, that game with all the dirty hippies" -- they usually go, "Disc whuh?" And when I explain, you can tell that they think I'm "just playin' with frisbees in the woods." I think that that the general population's familiarity with flying discs as a toy, rather than a piece of sporting equipment, is what hurts the legitimacy of the sport. Disc Golf is nowhere near well-known enough for the dress habits of players to be a significant factor.

Well said. Also, if DG gets big/mainstream, some of us would be screwed. I know that some of us have high paying jobs and some of us don't. If all courses become pay to play, the price of ALL equipment doubles and the price of gas stays between $3.50 and $5, some of us won't be able to afford as many road trips as we are accustomed to... if any. It comes down to being on TV/sponsors. Of course, the number of new DG courses might increase at a faster rate than they already are(if that's plausible). Some people might not try it because they think"I have to go out and spend 100 bucks on a collared shirt and slacks and then buys discs and a bag?" Having said all of this, I DON'T want homeless looking toothless guy being the one interview on the local news, so I must care about appearance some.

Having said all of this, I DON'T want homeless looking toothless guy being the one interview on the local news, so I must care about appearance some.
When you put it like that, I can better understand this argument. I guess my deal is, I care about how I look and how I dress, I couldn't care less about the next guy.

Right, and how you dress for a job interview is pretty far down the list of whether you get the job...or how you're perceived by a potential employer.

Hell, I'm rocking Nike Golf gear for my 2012 tournaments as an Am player - and it's kinda funny because I think people get intimidated. I think it's funny how when image is discussed people always default to the argument "oh you just care what others think" - newsflash ALL of you care what others think. Just own up to it and stop the BS 16-year-old rebellion line of thinking please.

We should take pride in our sport, and in ourselves as competitors.

So dressing in ball golf clothes is the only way to have pride in your sport or yourself now? I don't give a damn what other people think of me or how I dress. When I play disc golf I wear nice athletic shorts and a tee shirt but they're not dirty or wrinkled with tears. I don't think you should be shirtless or in a sleeveless shirt in a tourney but what's wrong with wearing a clean tee shirt and athletic shorts?

Also, if people are intimidated by your Nike clothes then they were never competition to begin with.

It's not ball golf envy. I don't ever expect to see disc golfers on the course in nice shoes, khakis and neatly pressed polos. However, I would like to see disc golfers dress like athletes, particularly when competing.

Again it's about context. A 10$ league event is very different from a NT event.

If you judge someone on appearance alone, shame on you! I myself generally dress well because I can afford to. Others are not so fortunate. Is it fair to scrutinize someone because they don't shop at REI or The Great Outdoor Provision Company (awesome store, btw)? I HATE the game of ball golf, simply because of the snobbish people who play it. If disc golf ever gets to that point, then it's time for me to find a new hobby.
As for those of you who think that a cleaner image is needed for a sport to become mainstream, you've obviously not paid much attention to skate boarding and or BMX. What DG needs are more pros with personality, like Nikko and E'Mac.
applause.gif

Hell, I'm rocking Nike Golf gear for my 2012 tournaments as an Am player - and it's kinda funny because I think people get intimidated.

I'm sure you look really intimidating in your Nike Golf gear. LOL!!!!

Considering the number of beer cans I've seen strewn about courses in the last few weeks, I think how we dress is the least of our game's image problems.

So I'll wear the proper athletic apparel where its appropriate. Where it isn't, I'll dress as I please.

Hell, I'm rocking Nike Golf gear for my 2012 tournaments as an Am player - and it's kinda funny because I think people get intimidated.
Yep, that's way more intimidating than my 6'3 - 225lb frame in a black sleeveless shirt. Although to be fair, it is also a Nike shirt. It just says BEAST across the front instead of having a little swoosh in the corner.

Latest posts