• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is the DG Community Cheap/Why the gripe with PDGA sanctioned events?

There's a big difference between playing disc golf, and playing an organized competition of disc golf.

Just as people pay to play in organized softball leagues, basketball leagues, bowling leagues, running events, etc. Everyone can get a few buddies and play softball, or basketball, or not even need any buddies to go running.

Whether that difference matters to you is a different story. If it doesn't, then you won't want to play in a low-entry, no-players pack event.

On the other hand, I don't want to pay extra to be given something that I may not want. I feel like I'm being bribed with my own money, just to show up. I'd rather pay the TD what he'd earn in the wholesale/retail margin, play an event, and choose whether to spend the difference buying merchandise.
There SHOULD be a perception that playing in an organized event and playing random draw doubles with your buddies is vastly different. One of the things I have observed in this area over the last 20ish years is that disc golfers often fail to perceive that difference.

I briefly lived in Northern Illinois and things were somewhat different there, so I'm not saying it is universal. Around here, disc golfers don't seem to grasp the difference, so trying to promote events to them includes trying to give them the perception of the "no risk" value that having the retail cost of your players pack basically equal your registration fee gives you. I think that is why players packs got so popular in the first place. It's like the Special Olympics, everybody has to walk away with something. :\

wait, what are you saying... Disc golfers are special?

*runs and hides*

I just sell off any players packs discs I don't use. I even will use my funny money/vouchers on discs that I know will get good value in the facebook/online sellers market.

I understand its a hassle for many to sell discs online, but its not that difficult (with USPS printed online postage and shipping supplies). Just print out postage, leave discs/packages in mailbox to be picked up. you've almost offset some of the entry fee.

Hell I'll sell off CTP prizes too. I remember once I sucked during a tournament but won a Dude Clothing Polo. The TD was like "hey man I'm sorry but the polo is sized small, maybe you want a disc from the vendor instead?" and I was like: "I'll take the polo! (because I knew that those Dude Polo's are wicked expensive and could fetch $30-$45 on the facebook sites). With the great players pack (bunch of great Millenium Discs/tech shirt/towel/mini/ect) and CTP prize I played the tournament for free after selling off the discs and polo.

I'm fine with trophy only too. As long as I know its fundraising for the club.

sometimes though... tourneys aren't PDGA sanctioned but end up being even more epic (experience + players pack/giveaways). NEFA Grand Finals (new england frisbee association) had a great tech polo, two super rare/facebook seller frenzy worthy vibram discs, and food vouchers for lunch AND dinner (great food too) with Sip of Sunshine beer cheap and flowing. ACT II at wickham park, hartford CT was only $20, but had FOUR discs (wraith, roc, two vibrams), tech shirt, mini, stickers, comics, markers/pencils and was organized like an A-Tier level event (spotters, CTP and hole winner prizes awaiting at three points during the course, they even changed the layout of the course for the 2nd round).

I'm fine with PDGA sanctioned events too. Its all part of the experience.

OK, put it in the marketplace or eBay, etc... can't advertise here as per forum rules...

contact me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between playing disc golf, and playing an organized competition of disc golf.

Just as people pay to play in organized softball leagues, basketball leagues, bowling leagues, running events, etc. Everyone can get a few buddies and play softball, or basketball, or not even need any buddies to go running.

Whether that difference matters to you is a different story. If it doesn't, then you won't want to play in a low-entry, no-players pack event.

On the other hand, I don't want to pay extra to be given something that I may not want. I feel like I'm being bribed with my own money, just to show up. I'd rather pay the TD what he'd earn in the wholesale/retail margin, play an event, and choose whether to spend the difference buying merchandise.

Seems like it would be interesting to make player's packs an option instead of just part of the base package. Seems like regs don't want their 100th player pack which makes a lot of sense, you can only take home so much swag lol.

Seems like it would be interesting to make player's packs an option instead of just part of the base package. Seems like regs don't want their 100th player pack which makes a lot of sense, you can only take home so much swag lol.

Isn't that the same as eliminating the players pack, and offering those items for sale to those who want them? Opt-in, as opposed to opt-out?

TDs aren't likely to do it because it would be a lot of extra work.

It's an interesting idea though. $10.00 entry fee for the cheapskate/broke/"I have too many discs already etc" people and $30.00 (or whatever) for the folks that like a good players pack. I don't see it as being that much extra work. Regardless, thank and help your TDs and try to see it from their perspective. These good people try and run fun events while trying to keep 100+ people with differing opinions and needs satisfied.

It's an interesting idea though. $10.00 entry fee for the cheapskate/broke/"I have too many discs already etc" people and $30.00 (or whatever) for the folks that like a good players pack. I don't see it as being that much extra work. Regardless, thank and help your TDs and try to see it from their perspective. These good people try and run fun events while trying to keep 100+ people with differing opinions and needs satisfied.

Except that's not how it would be.

I run a barebones non-sanctioned fundraiser for $30 every spring. I could pass the savings of wholesale cost onto players by not giving them packs but I'm not able to throw away the margin on the item they are no longer getting. So I could knock $5 off the price for people electing not to receive a pack.

Bargain entry $25, entry with pack $30

I'm sure others could even knock $10 off of an event that costs $40+, but no you won't be saving the "value" of the pack with such practices. You will be saving it's wholesale cost at best.

Why do runners happily throw money at every 10k that rolls through town without the slightest chance of making money back?

Because rich white people run; it is something you can do before your day as a pediatrician starts by yourself without any facilities. Slovenly bums play disc golf. Slovenly bums that play in organized events for the social aspect even though the only social aspect is accusing people of sandbagging and griping about the TD.

Why do runners happily throw money at every 10k that rolls through town without the slightest chance of making money back?

Because rich white people run; it is something you can do before your day as a pediatrician starts by yourself without any facilities. Slovenly bums play disc golf. Slovenly bums that play in organized events for the social aspect even though the only social aspect is accusing people of sandbagging and griping about the TD.

Oh god. you say that but...

the F1 engineer on £60k plus a year won't play in my PDGA sanctioned league for £3 a week, because he can normally play for free, or play a monthly handicap at the same course (non PDGA) for £1.

People complain as they have no idea of the costs and organisation that goes into running the simplest things, doesn't matter how much money they earn. The people that complain tend to be the people that have never been involved in any aspect of the organisation.

My wife is running a half marathon this month, paying £35 for entry and "just" getting a T shirt and medal - her and all her friends (mostly professionals, Teachers, doctors IT geeks) are complaining loudly about the cost - the cost of an event which they will have to secure, police and do all the other stupidly expensive things that allow 10000 people to run through the roads of the second largest city in the country, complaining is not unique to a certain socio economic group, it comes from a lack of understanding or thought from the complainers.

As for opt outs on player packs - it makes it more risk and more expense for the TD. You have to book your player packs well in advance, if half the field say they want cheap entry you risk sitting on Hundreds of pounds of merchandise you have to shift at lower costs through the year and probably will still have some in 5 years time. It's not something I would want to do, either all or nothing, I err to preferring no player packs TBH a cheaper tournament and the thing you are paying for is the competition plus trophies, it's generally the way I run my tournaments.

Of course there are still complaints. I booked out a nine hole loop earlier this year of an incredible golf course for Disc Golf for a one day event, creating temporarily one of the best courses in the country (it cost me a huge amount of money to design, prep and organise in the run up but the hope is that it should become permanent so hopefully worth it! (still ongoing negotiations), superb venue for food and drinks before and during the round and the best place most of the disc golfers in this country had ever had to play. I charged a whopping £17 for it ($22- ish), trophy and prizes only, PDGA sanctioned and having to cover insurance + overall tour trophies/prizes and expenses and got accused quite vehemently of profiteering (normal Bolf green fees to play this loop would be £15 for about 2.5 hours of play, we booked it out for the whole day and had a field of 40) you'll lose whatever you do!

It's b/c you can oh so easily play this game for free. The higher the fees to play in the tournaments, the more free looks better.

People probably complained about it being PDGA sanctioned b/c that's an extra fee for non-PDGA members. There are lots of non members cos membership isn't a good value for them (especially if they don't play lots of tourneys).

this.
spot on.

I work with a lot of rich white people. The majority of them are cheap as ****. They run 10k's so they can post about it on FB and Instagram.

so they can run in the middle of the street, and never have to look both ways?
so they can run BEHIND a whole array of hot chicks in tight pants/shorts?
they like the cheer of the crowd?
etc?

Most TDs won't do that.

Has anyone actually encountered this in practice and what was the cost difference?

We did it here years ago- IIRC cost was $15 for trophy only and $30 for regular entry. So few people chose trophy only that we stopped doing it after a couple tries.

Go try to sell discs on Facebook if you want to see the cheapest F'ers in the history of disc golf.

I should post the three paraph essay one guy sent why I should sell him a $10 disc for 8.50.

I've won money a few times :shrug:

Runners choose races based on proximity, quality of the course/destination and what else is included (clothing, freebies, finisher medals and sometimes what charity it supports.

Disc golfers look for certain things in events; some love the players pack and others hate it

I joined a group of guys that make our own rules and pay our own way. Side bets all during a round. Fun for everyone involved.

We have never allowed a mulligan. We play by the same rules (some we agree upon before we start a round). We can drink beer (or stronger in the winter) if we want to. We have fun.

I have a lot of respect for guys that run tournaments. They have to put up with people that aren't their friends and deal with people that can't be "shamed" into dropping unreasonable positions. I admire you, but alas... I probably won't meet you unless you play though our group during a casual (fun) round.

Am I "cheap"? No. We spend money during and after our rounds. Is it fun? Always! That's why we play.

Latest posts