• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is the DG Community Cheap/Why the gripe with PDGA sanctioned events?

Ermac010

I recently finished running my 3rd annual C-tier event and this year we sold out for the first time since its inauguration. However, I'm finding it more and more difficult to run these events given the incredible amount of unnecessary stress that comes with it. This year we decided to focus on players packs more than payouts for amateurs. The registration was raised across the divisions by $5 on top of having to pay increased green fees (which thankfully our local club picked up). The point I'm getting to was I could not believe the backlash I received from some of our club members about the increased fees. Even though it improved the players pack! Other arguments I heard this year was we should stop running sanctioned PDGA events. WHY? Why is this such a big argument? Who cares if we have to pay a per player fee to sanction the event? I feel that we need to pay our dues and that the PDGA is a voice for disc golfers that adds legitimacy to the sport. Maybe it's been too close after the event that I should unwind a little but people have no respect or understanding what goes into running events yet are always the quickest to criticize with no constructive help to offer.
It's no wonder our sport has taken soooo long to move mainstream. Sorry for the rant but I was just curious to hear others opinions on sanctioning PDGA events and frugilness of the disc golf community.

It's b/c you can oh so easily play this game for free. The higher the fees to play in the tournaments, the more free looks better.

People probably complained about it being PDGA sanctioned b/c that's an extra fee for non-PDGA members. There are lots of non members cos membership isn't a good value for them (especially if they don't play lots of tourneys).

Also, **** player's packs. I've got enough flipping discs.

If you sold out you did something right. Look, your effort, your event. Run it the way you want. If someone else in the club wants to run it, let them put in the work. If another officer doesn't like it, politely tell him, there are other events he/she can play in, this one sold out so changing it seems a bad idea.

Some people will always complain..but I truly don't understand your post. You sold out the event, so not sure why you posted in the first place. Congrats for selling out the event btw. ;)

:hfive:

Sure you can participate in this PDGA tournament..........if you buy this stuff first. :mad:

I haven't played a sanctioned tournament in over a year and have enjoyed the savings. I think a lot of people gravitate towards disc golf initially because it (at first) is so cost friendly. That said I truly appreciate the time that TD's give in order to run tournaments so as a player - thanks for doing that.

Disc golfers are notoriously cheap. People love to complain.

Don't drive yourself crazy wondering why.

There will always be the unhappy ones, and they are the most likely to tell you about it. As others said, you sold out. You did something right. If you like running events, plan on complaints. Just realize that plenty of others walked away satisfied.

You sold out your event. Who cares what anyone says? When you're running an event and it doesn't sell out, that's when you can start to worry about people complaining.

I agree that disc golfers are notoriously cheap. It's a constant source of amusement. There's even a funny hashtag assigned to these witless bottom-feeders.

However, TD's who complain about disc golfers who complain, need to do some research into customer behavior. No matter how successful or popular a business is, there will always be complaints. It's just a cost of doing business. In fact, the more popular a business is, the more complaints there will be - it's simple math. The more customers there are, the more complainers there will be.

Is there a more popular company than Apple? Not many. No matter how many people love their iPhone, there are many who despise them. In fact, I bet there are so many more people who complain about their iPhones than there are who complain about their Nokia phones. But which company would you rather own? Same can be said for any popular product or company.

Sure, you can listen to complaints, as long as they're polite and constructive. But you're nuts if you let the unreasonable whiners you're referring to tax your time and energy unessecarily, especially if you're running sold out tournaments. Ignore those guys or tell them to not sign up again - there's plenty of demand to take up the slack their absence will create.

I spent a lot of hours last summer working the re-design of one of our local courses. The loudest complainers "why didn't you guys do this" and "you guys should have done that" were always the guys that never lifted a finger to help out, after numerous requests for help.

There's a whole lot of people in the DG community that are just a bunch of entitled douchbags. That's just the way it is and it's not likely to change any time soon. You do what you can and be glad that at least a few people are getting some sh*t done.

A lot folks don't like being penalized for not being in a Professional association when they are amateurs . "When I played basketball i didn't have to pay the NBA". I have questioned where the 10 dollar non pdga fee goes toward when I played Pdga events. I have heard everything from insurance to player packs. I know exactly where that money goes. If you sold out your event you did a great job, don't worry about the haters. Jeff nailed it on these damn entitled folks.

It's b/c you can oh so easily play this game for free. The higher the fees to play in the tournaments, the more free looks better.

People probably complained about it being PDGA sanctioned b/c that's an extra fee for non-PDGA members. There are lots of non members cos membership isn't a good value for them (especially if they don't play lots of tourneys).

This, This, and especially point 3. :clap:

I spent a lot of hours last summer working the re-design of one of our local courses. The loudest complainers "why didn't you guys do this" and "you guys should have done that" were always the guys that never lifted a finger to help out, after numerous requests for help.

There's a whole lot of people in the DG community that are just a bunch of entitled douchbags. That's just the way it is and it's not likely to change any time soon. You do what you can and be glad that at least a few people are getting some sh*t done.

100 thumbs up on this! So fn true

Hey man, wtf???? This thread caused me to go over my data limit and now I have to pay extra. YOU OWE ME!

I played golf for years. I played disc golf and golf both for a few seasons. I spend a lot of money on DG but still nothing like I did on golf clubs greens fees etc. I think a lot of disc golfers are so used to free courses and inexpensive equipment that they don't know how good they have it.
Oh yeah and I could really go without players packs.

I don't have a good answer for you, the concerns fellow players have raised over small amounts of money has bothered me for a long time. I think that the fact that you organized an event for the 3rd time and sold it out means that you did a lot of things right and i hope that can be more of the focus for you as you get some distance from the event. Thanks for being a TD!

:hfive:

Sure you can participate in this PDGA tournament..........if you buy this stuff first. :mad:

I haven't played a sanctioned tournament in over a year and have enjoyed the savings. I think a lot of people gravitate towards disc golf initially because it (at first) is so cost friendly. That said I truly appreciate the time that TD's give in order to run tournaments so as a player - thanks for doing that.

So, you want lower entry fees, no player packs and trophies??

So, you want lower entry fees, no player packs and trophies??

Yeah, I've ranted here on DGCR about this before. Don't want a players pack or a trophy. Don't want any 'reward' other than to see my player rating go up or down based on my play. Lower entry fees so I can play more tournaments.

Furthermore, I wish it were standard to leave right after you turn in your card after the 4th round. Award ceremonies are exhausting. I'm so cheap with disc golf that I can't even afford to pay attention. :gross:

If you sold out you did something right. Look, your effort, your event. Run it the way you want. If someone else in the club wants to run it, let them put in the work. If another officer doesn't like it, politely tell him, there are other events he/she can play in, this one sold out so changing it seems a bad idea.

You sold out your event. Who cares what anyone says? When you're running an event and it doesn't sell out, that's when you can start to worry about people complaining.

This.

Obviously, a lot of people liked it. Don't sweat those who don't. You can't serve any more people than a full field, anyway.

Personally, I don't like players packs, or raising the entry to give me a bigger one. I wouldn't complain about it---but might decide not to play. But if other people love them and want to pay and play in my place, that's fine.

Latest posts