• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is the DG Community Cheap/Why the gripe with PDGA sanctioned events?

Disc golfers who don't want discs??? Sacrilege!:confused::D

I like getting a sweet players pack. I usually don't cash at sanctioned events, so a good players pack makes me feel a little better about dropping 50+$$ on it.

Am I the only one around that enjoys a good player pack? I like the custom stamps, T-Shirts, towels, hats, minis, ect. that I've collected over the years. I have about 500 discs now and certainly don't need anything, but it's nice to have a momento to look back on the tournaments I've played. Meh. Color me weird.

And, OP, as has been stated, if you filled up the tourney, you are successful. Don't let the try-hards and cheapscapes ruin it for you.

the fact you sold out means a few things imo. Your did a great job and provided an event people wanted to play. guess what, next year the guys complaining will not sign up and other players that want to be there and don't have an issue with cost will take their place. Thats a win, win if you ask me. Not sure how many players you had but if you pleased 90% your doing it right. Take your lumps and move on. I help run events in my area and the one thing we are good at is basically not caring about the naysayers. Give them their moment to complain and move on. Its going to be the same people complaining at every event anyways.

you can only control what you can control

I haven't read most of the replies in this thread but have to agree with the OP in a lot of ways.

Confusing. I've played different levels of competitive tournaments in quite a few sports, some even more fringe than DG and I have to say DG is the only one where getting something for the money, other than the competition is such a big friggin deal.

Hell look at some big 1/2 marathons and 10K races. They give away a bunch of stuff to most participants and I've heard people complain about what they get or would rather get... BUT Disc Golf is literally the only sport i've heard people say they don't want to play in an event because they don't think they are getting enough stuff or potential winning back.

If it weren't that the only people that see this are other golfers who are participating in the events, it would make the sport look bad.

Been a TD for 8 years now and I LIVE by one undeniable truth............ YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE.

Ding ding ding.

Run your event how you see fit and those that like how you do it will play and those that don't like it can seek out other events or run their own. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that an event that sells out to max capacity is doing something horribly wrong in how they set entry fees or return value on those entry fees.

Now if you run the same event next year with the same structure and you get 10 people instead of 72 or 90...well, then maybe you have some things to reconsider. Until then, don't sweat it.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but this has helped me.

When I see negativity in the comments online nowadays on our channel, I first try to briefly assess why the comment was made. If there's substance to the complaint (even if it's presented in an immature fashion), I'll take it into consideration. If not, and if it bothers me, I remind myself to look at the viewcount, and the Like/Dislike ratio.

So...like others are saying, a handful of people may have complained, but you sold out your event.

One thing I've learned through my own errors and putting my foot in my mouth, is not to accidentally insult and trample the silent majority who supports you, by giving the vocal minority the platform to control you.

If your sponsors start dropping, or your event stops filling...then you know you have an issue with how you're doing things. Until then, remember that people paid to participate in something you took the time and effort to provide, so bask in that reward.

It sounds like your workig hard to do a good job, don't let the whiners get you down.

Personally I don't usually use the players pack discs if it comes with them, but I've paid other tournament fees by selling them, so you will hear no complaints on my end.

Most disc golfers have no money, and what little they have is spent on drugs and alcohol. And after you play in about 10 tourneys you have enough random players pack junk to fill a dumpster.

Most disc golfers have no money, and what little they have is spent on drugs and alcohol. And after you play in about 10 tourneys you have enough random players pack junk to fill a dumpster.

Most disc golfers do likely have a brand new iPhone 35 as well. Seems with all that time on their hands they could sell their dumpster worth of stuff for money to buy more drugs and alcohol.

I haven't played Am in a long, long time. It's been years since I last had some sort of player's pack. Definitely don't miss them.

It's b/c you can oh so easily play this game for free. The higher the fees to play in the tournaments, the more free looks better.

People probably complained about it being PDGA sanctioned b/c that's an extra fee for non-PDGA members. There are lots of non members cos membership isn't a good value for them (especially if they don't play lots of tourneys).

Also, **** player's packs. I've got enough flipping discs.

^pretty much that. I'm not one to really complain about it; but I don't care about a "players pack", most of it is just a waste to me. I will never wear the shirt or use the discs or whatever. I'm not a PDGA member as I am just a recreational player and don't plan on playing tons of tourneys.

I'd much rather the entry fees be lower and/or the money go towards the club: improving the local courses or building new courses.

with that said, I'm not gonna go around bitching about it to people willing to run tourneys. If I don't like it, I simply won't play them.

Disc golfers who don't want discs??? Sacrilege!:confused::D

I like getting a sweet players pack. I usually don't cash at sanctioned events, so a good players pack makes me feel a little better about dropping 50+$$ on it.

Better than dropping $25 and not getting a players pack?

The PDGA requires a players pack correct? I know people hate them but if you run sanctioned events you are required to provide a value to the paying customer which = players pack

You will find gripping whenever there is an increase of price or a change from the norm, it's just part of business. I've seen it over and over in online poker, sometimes it works out good for the player and sometimes it doesn't. Don't worry about the gripping and just make sure it works out for the player and you will have repeat participation.

I like the idea of player packs over cash rewards for ams.

Where's the negativity in this thread, you're all being too uplifting!

The PDGA should suspend the OP from TD'ing for 18 months due to the failure to satisfy 100% of tourney participants!!!!!!!!!

Better than dropping $25 and not getting a players pack?

Being a cheap old disc golfer I would prefer $25 and a players pack.

I can't speak for anyone else, only for me.
Personally, I like Player's Packs, especially if it is a hard-to-get disc or a special CFR model.
Since I don't always cash, if I spent money to go to an out-of-town tourney and did not come home with anything...well it would feel somewhat empty.
But hey, I am a Disc Junkie.

^pretty much that. I'm not one to really complain about it; but I don't care about a "players pack", most of it is just a waste to me. I will never wear the shirt or use the discs or whatever. I'm not a PDGA member as I am just a recreational player and don't plan on playing tons of tourneys.

I'd much rather the entry fees be lower and/or the money go towards the club: improving the local courses or building new courses.

with that said, I'm not gonna go around bitching about it to people willing to run tourneys. If I don't like it, I simply won't play them.

This pretty much sums up my position, with the exception that I might wear the shirt.

Depending on the shirt.