• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why the PDGA has a dress code.

To the people saying that you see the same things on golf courses, you must not be playing very nice courses. Go to any nice course and see if they let you even hit the driving range in a t-shirt.

I think it's funny how when image is discussed people always default to the argument "oh you just care what others think" - newsflash ALL of you care what others think. Just own up to it and stop the BS 16-year-old rebellion line of thinking please.

dude not everybody cares what other people think, and to do so is far from a 16 yo mentality. i'm comfortable with who i am and i'm sure there are others who are the same way.

maybe when you get out of your i know better than everybody else frame of mind you'll get it.

dude not everybody cares what other people think, and to do so is far from a 16 yo mentality. i'm comfortable with who i am and i'm sure there are others who are the same way.

maybe when you get out of your i know better than everybody else frame of mind you'll get it.

If you've ever dressed up, then your actions contradict your words. You are the one assuming that caring what others think is an inherently bad thing, I never put that connotation on it.

You can attack me personally all you want, but you're just showing your true colors. It's not about "know-it-all" mindframe, it's about not BS'ing myself. Everybody is different, but to a certain extent everybody cares what at least one other person on this earth thinks of them.

Regardless of all of that, society rewards those who take pride in their appearance - to an extreme fault in many cases - but the mainstream does nonetheless. The point is that many of us want disc golf to be mainstream, and that requires caring about how you present yourself on the course.

I think I'm going to go play a round in a nice polo and tattered jeans so I can have the pleasure of irritating everyone.

Im usually "dressed up for dg" meaning merrells, smartwool, n face, dri fit, rev bag...

....I may have to reconsider though cus its kinda like quitting smoking.....id like to quit but itd put me with all the db's ;)

in summer i dont wear a shirt its okay though because i tan well and am rather muscular. the jorts are for the intimidation factor

in summer i dont wear a shirt its okay though because i tan well and am rather muscular. the jorts are for the intimidation factor

I like to oil up before my rounds. Nothing says pro disc golfer like a super jacked, tan, and oiled chest. Really effs up my grip though.

If you've ever dressed up, then your actions contradict your words. You are the one assuming that caring what others think is an inherently bad thing, I never put that connotation on it.

You can attack me personally all you want, but you're just showing your true colors. It's not about "know-it-all" mindframe, it's about not BS'ing myself. Everybody is different, but to a certain extent everybody cares what at least one other person on this earth thinks of them.

Regardless of all of that, society rewards those who take pride in their appearance - to an extreme fault in many cases - but the mainstream does nonetheless. The point is that many of us want disc golf to be mainstream, and that requires caring about how you present yourself on the course.

That's not true about dressing up and contradicting yourself. I have no problem dressing up or dressing down but I'm not doing it because of how I think people will see me.

When I do something pertaining to athletics, I prefer to dress comfortable and athletically. There are a lot of pro disc golfers that apparently feel the same way because they dress that way also.

To get the sport mainstream it's going to take time, no matter how much people don't want to wait. Dressing in polo's and khaki's isn't going to magically make the big sponsors come rolling in, no matter how much you want to believe it.

If you want to spend money on nice clothes for disc golf, I have no problem with that. I'm going to continue to dress how I want and I don't really care if other people like it or not.

27046854.jpg

Thats "Fast Ed" I met him in Denver a while back, hes a Grateful Dead tour legend.

I'd rather not wear my fancy pants when I have to go into the brier patch looking for my lie.

I agree wholeheartedly.
This is pretty far down the list of why we aren't taken seriously.

Agreed. Frisbees in and of themselves aren't taken seriously.

If we started using real discus plates, that might be a different story. :p

Cargo shorts & Columbia dry fit shirt & hiking shoes. That's what I wear for pretty much every round from May - Oct. I try to be comfortable first, look sharp second.

That's not true about dressing up and contradicting yourself. I have no problem dressing up or dressing down but I'm not doing it because of how I think people will see me.

When I do something pertaining to athletics, I prefer to dress comfortable and athletically. There are a lot of pro disc golfers that apparently feel the same way because they dress that way also.

To get the sport mainstream it's going to take time, no matter how much people don't want to wait. Dressing in polo's and khaki's isn't going to magically make the big sponsors come rolling in, no matter how much you want to believe it.

If you want to spend money on nice clothes for disc golf, I have no problem with that. I'm going to continue to dress how I want and I don't really care if other people like it or not.

We could debate the first point, but getting into behavorial tendencies of people is a whole different field of study - so agree to disagree there.

No problem with dressing comfortably, you definitely need freedom of movement and range of motion. That said - I wear Nike shorts that are lighter and more breathable than jhorts, sweatshorts, etc. so I think you're painting with really broad strokes there if you are implying you can't dress nicely and be comfortable.

As for the third point - I never, ever, anywhere said polo and khakis. I never alluded to any specific wardrobe set. I don't think disc golf and golf dress codes will, or should necessarily ever, match up. I simply said dress like you care about your appearance.

As for the final point - if you don't want to dress like you care that's completely fine and your right, but be forewarned that you then forefeit any ability to bitch about "unfair" perception of the sport because then you're a part of the problem.

(also take all instances of "you" as in general, not a specific personal attack, just replying since you replied to me)

This thread right here,exemplifies why I wish disc golf would stay underground.There are too many uptight prisses,that try to look like some pro, dressed in disc golf swag from head to toe,trying to fit in,when in reality they suck,and just want to look like they can actually throw.

If your so worried about how the public views this sport,please go play ball golf.

We could debate the first point, but getting into behavorial tendencies of people is a whole different field of study - so agree to disagree there.

No problem with dressing comfortably, you definitely need freedom of movement and range of motion. That said - I wear Nike shorts that are lighter and more breathable than jhorts, sweatshorts, etc. so I think you're painting with really broad strokes there if you are implying you can't dress nicely and be comfortable.

As for the third point - I never, ever, anywhere said polo and khakis. I never alluded to any specific wardrobe set. I don't think disc golf and golf dress codes will, or should necessarily ever, match up. I simply said dress like you care about your appearance.

As for the final point - if you don't want to dress like you care that's completely fine and your right, but be forewarned that you then forefeit any ability to bitch about "unfair" perception of the sport because then you're a part of the problem.

(also take all instances of "you" as in general, not a specific personal attack, just replying since you replied to me)

If you can point out anywhere that I have ever bitched about the perception of this sport I will apologize and agree with your point. I honestly don't care how people perceive the sport because it doesn't bother me that people view us as toked up hippies.

If you want to help take the sport mainstream then go out to businesses and try and get sponsorship money for tournaments. That's how you get more money and exposure for the sport, not dressing nice.

It's going to take a lot more than a dress code to take this sport mainstream which will be waaaaaaay down the list.

This thread right here,exemplifies why I wish disc golf would stay underground.There are too many uptight prisses,that try to look like some pro, dressed in disc golf swag from head to toe,trying to fit in,when in reality they suck,and just want to look like they can actually throw.

If your so worried about how the public views this sport,please go play ball golf.

:clap::thmbup::clap:

Latest posts