• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Those who throw 500' backhand, which method do you use?

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I don't throw 500', but I feel like its within reach. I can do 450' pretty steadily with a variety of fast drivers. I seem to be fairly stuck at that distance though. Once in a blue moon I'll uncork one that's probably near 475', but I can't do it consistently at all. That's maybe a 1 in 300 throw. I had 1 magical throw today with a 167g star Corvette that may have touched 475'. Everything was perfect, and I could tell right as I released it that it would be big. It was easily the longest drive I've ever thrown on that particular practice field in over 4 years of work. Unfortunately everything else I threw on the day was at least 25' short of that.

I guess my question is, which method is best for maximizing the power I have? Flat, hyzerflip, anny? I can do 450' with all 3 of those.

If you're in a field with a stack of your longest driver going for max distance, what type of line are you going to use? Enlighten me. My personal favorite is a big, high anny that I start left of the target and let it work right.

Another question is, how high are you trying to throw it? I love trying to throw fast discs high, but if you don't get over on them enough they stall out and fall short. All my very longest drives have been high and turned over enough to not stall.

Note: all my throws and measurements are done on flat ground in at least semi calm conditions. I'm not sitting there throwing a blizzard Katana into a 30 MPH tailwind down a hill trying for 475'.

IMO...

Flat doesn't exist, especially for distance line thrown upward. You need the disc to turnover nose down for distance so it can glide out on the way down without stalling out.

Anhyzer is more consistent for distance, but harder on the body. Needs stable to overstable disc thrown quite high out to the left.

Hyzer is a little less consistent for distance, but more potential and easier on the body. Needs understable disc thrown out to the left as well, but not quite as high as it will flip up and over and then flex/glide out.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

IMO...

Flat doesn't exist, especially for distance line thrown upward. You need the disc to turnover nose down for distance so it can glide out on the way down without stalling out.

Anhyzer is more consistent for distance, but harder on the body. Needs stable to overstable disc thrown quite high out to the left.

Hyzer is a little less consistent for distance, but more potential and easier on the body. Needs understable disc thrown out to the left as well, but not quite as high as it will flip up and over and then flex/glide out.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancelines.shtml

I'm talking about a flat release. I get what you're saying though. You absolutely need the disc to flex out somewhat if you're going to get any good distance. Something like a Katana is a good disc to release flat. It'll bend to the right somewhat before coming back late.

I've had some astounding hyzerflips, but I agree they aren't super consistent. The disc often will flip over too much or not enough. Wind can play havoc with hyzerflips too.

I love annys, but they aren't always easy to throw. Sometimes I'll get the height I want, but not put enough anny on the disc. Predictably, it ends up stalling out way short.

Envision a golf shot thrown with a fast, stable disc. Anhyzer release, nose down but trajectory a little higher than normal. Watch the way Barry Schultz throws distance shots—it's his normal release but he manipulates angles to increase potential without sacrificing consistency. The optimal shot for this method is slowly coming out of anhyzer the entire time. Once it's back to a hyzer angle it won't penetrate as well.

When you've mastered those angles, go figure out how to add more power (brace, grip, extension...).

When you've figured out how to add more power, go remaster your angles.

Ain't a distance thrower but that's my cycle for gaining usable golf distance.

Envision a golf shot thrown with a fast, stable disc. Anhyzer release, nose down but trajectory a little higher than normal. Watch the way Barry Schultz throws distance shots—it's his normal release but he manipulates angles to increase potential without sacrificing consistency. The optimal shot for this method is slowly coming out of anhyzer the entire time. Once it's back to a hyzer angle it won't penetrate as well.

When you've mastered those angles, go figure out how to add more power (brace, grip, extension...).

When you've figured out how to add more power, go remaster your angles.

Ain't a distance thrower but that's my cycle for gaining usable golf distance.

My main issue is getting good consistent anny releases. I'll get the disc high enough, but often it isn't anny enough. The disc will stall out way early and fall to the ground like a brick. When I do everything right I can touch 450'+ on good anny rips. The inconsistency is maddening. I don't feel like I have the proper mechanics to throw that shot regularly.

No matter what I do it feels like the disc wants to come out flat or hyzer.

My main issue is getting good consistent anny releases. I'll get the disc high enough, but often it isn't anny enough. The disc will stall out way early and fall to the ground like a brick. When I do everything right I can touch 450'+ on good anny rips. The inconsistency is maddening. I don't feel like I have the proper mechanics to throw that shot regularly.

No matter what I do it feels like the disc wants to come out flat or hyzer.

How is your footwork? I ask because I come from ball golf as a background, and foot placement is one of the biggest ways that golfers adjust shot shape:

https://www.golf.com/instruction/2018/05/26/want-shape-shots-pros-heres-how

It's possible that you're not getting your plant foot closed enough to facilitate the anny angle. Just a thought.

I've found footwork and the angle you walk up on the tee pad helps setup for a better release angle.

For big annys (RHBH) I offset myself almost 45 degrees to the back right of the teepad and slowly work myself towards the centre at release (really allowing myself to uncurl my body / energy on that turnover angle)

For big flippy hyzerflips it's basically mirroring your body in the opposite direction (release left of your target trusting the disc to turn and hold to the right).

Watching footage of pros trying to hit wooded tunnel gaps has really opened my eyes on how your position of the body and where you end up releasing on the tee pad really matters.

Another quick observation after throwing yesterday.... we had our first warm-hot day of the year. 80+ degrees and slightly humid. I noticed the air felt a little heavy. The discs seemed to be floating better than usual, with more high speed turn. I also felt like I was able to grip the disc better than usual. Generally its pretty dry in CO, and getting a solid grip on a high speed driver isn't easy.

I was smashing yesterday. I still didn't throw anything 500', but I cleared 450' a bunch of times with a few understable discs. That last 50' is going to be hard to achieve. I'm to the point I can do 450' when I'm warmed up, but 500' is still out of reach. If weather conditions aren't optimal I'll probably top out at just over 400'. Some days you simply don't have it.

I guess my point is, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, wind) can play a huge factor in how far you're able to throw. I figure 50' or more. Some of that is related to the air itself, and some of it is feeling warm/loose and getting a good grip on the disc when you throw. There are certain days in CO when I feel like I'm absolutely SMASHING and the discs simply don't want to glide or go anywhere. I absolutely throw further when its warm out rather than cold.

Yep. Hot and humid air feels thick or heavy, but is actually less dense air so the disc travels faster. Muscles are also warmer and probably wearing less restrictive clothing.

I guess I'm not really surprised he threw Katanas for most of the shots. Those things are super long. I'm a little surprised more pros don't bag a Katana for sheer open power.

He showed me his blue katana at dglo and it had the most insane dome. You could eat cereal out of it

He showed me his blue katana at dglo and it had the most insane dome. You could eat cereal out of it

Domey Katanas might be the purest distance driver I've ever thrown. They can handle power well, and are super long.

I've never found any use for flat Katanas. I hate the way they (don't) fly.

Another quick observation after throwing yesterday.... we had our first warm-hot day of the year. 80+ degrees and slightly humid. I noticed the air felt a little heavy. The discs seemed to be floating better than usual, with more high speed turn. I also felt like I was able to grip the disc better than usual. Generally its pretty dry in CO, and getting a solid grip on a high speed driver isn't easy.

I was smashing yesterday. I still didn't throw anything 500', but I cleared 450' a bunch of times with a few understable discs. That last 50' is going to be hard to achieve. I'm to the point I can do 450' when I'm warmed up, but 500' is still out of reach. If weather conditions aren't optimal I'll probably top out at just over 400'. Some days you simply don't have it.

I guess my point is, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, wind) can play a huge factor in how far you're able to throw. I figure 50' or more. Some of that is related to the air itself, and some of it is feeling warm/loose and getting a good grip on the disc when you throw. There are certain days in CO when I feel like I'm absolutely SMASHING and the discs simply don't want to glide or go anywhere. I absolutely throw further when its warm out rather than cold.

I'm in your camp I think. I can throw very accurate 425 foot golf lines on a pretty narrow flight path. For 450, I have to try pretty hard and incorporate a faster run up, which I don't really do a lot during rounds unless that 25 feet is getting me on a green, but in a field and on open courses with minimal OB risk I can hit 450+ consistently. To get past that threshold I have to throw US stuff on hyzer release high to the left, get the perfect angle, then that long right fade. I almost never have that shot on the course and do very little field work, so it's not a shot I really practice.

I'm with you on that last 50 feet being another ball game. It's kind of crazy how a 450 foot drive can come out looking pretty good, but a dime a dozen these days, but when you watch someone throw 500 it's like a rocket out of the hand. That's my experience anyway. That 50 feet is just on a whole other level of power.

I'm no form expert, but if I do get to 500, I want it on a golf line like many of the top pros have (who of course can throw 600+ on the high silly lines). There is more than likely a ton of small improvements I would need to make that all amount to timing and a stronger hit. There is no secret bullet. I'm getting into my mid 30s now and I keep getting fatter and slower, so for me, it's more than likely downhill from here. You sound more optimistic and driven, so my recommendation is film yourself, slow it down, compare to big arms on Youtube, and watch Sidewinder videos. I have faith you will get to that 500 mark. :thmbup:

I'm in your camp I think. I can throw very accurate 425 foot golf lines on a pretty narrow flight path. For 450, I have to try pretty hard and incorporate a faster run up, which I don't really do a lot during rounds unless that 25 feet is getting me on a green, but in a field and on open courses with minimal OB risk I can hit 450+ consistently. To get past that threshold I have to throw US stuff on hyzer release high to the left, get the perfect angle, then that long right fade. I almost never have that shot on the course and do very little field work, so it's not a shot I really practice.

I'm with you on that last 50 feet being another ball game. It's kind of crazy how a 450 foot drive can come out looking pretty good, but a dime a dozen these days, but when you watch someone throw 500 it's like a rocket out of the hand. That's my experience anyway. That 50 feet is just on a whole other level of power.

I'm no form expert, but if I do get to 500, I want it on a golf line like many of the top pros have (who of course can throw 600+ on the high silly lines). There is more than likely a ton of small improvements I would need to make that all amount to timing and a stronger hit. There is no secret bullet. I'm getting into my mid 30s now and I keep getting fatter and slower, so for me, it's more than likely downhill from here. You sound more optimistic and driven, so my recommendation is film yourself, slow it down, compare to big arms on Youtube, and watch Sidewinder videos. I have faith you will get to that 500 mark. :thmbup:

I agree. Right now I'm literally parked at 450'. Every once in a while I'll throw a disc 20' further, but not consistently. If I'm having an off day or the weather isn't favorable I'll max out more like 420'. I have to be warmed up to hit 450'.

All my longest throws lately have been with mid-stability, fast drivers. Stuff like Ballistas, Shrykes, Terns, and Katanas. I need a disc that can handle a pretty big rip and turn without flipping wildly over. For max power I generally try to throw high, anny, and release left of the target. I want the disc to get an exaggerated turn and work right for a while. I also need the flex and late fade. I don't want a disc that's so understable it goes right the whole flight.

I feel like I have the capability to start hitting 500'. I see glimpses here and there of power I never had before. The 2 things keeping me from doing it are (lack of) consistent releases and height control. I tend to throw a lot of drives too low. They'll still go far, but not what I'm looking for. Then I overcompensate and throw too high and the disc stalls. That said, all my very longest shots are somewhat high.

I also feel like a lot of my releases aren't crisp. Like the disc is coming out a little early and nose up. I'm not feeling a great snap on every throw.

Last edited:
I tend to throw a lot of drives too low. They'll still go far, but not what I'm looking for. Then I overcompensate and throw too high and the disc stalls. That said, all my very longest shots are somewhat high.

The higher you can throw and still get the disc turning for most of the flight and moving forward the entire flight, the further it will go. I know when I use to throw for distance often most shots would turn the whole flight and be 20 feet shorter than ones that had a fading finish. When I could get the carry right for most of the flight and the finish be fading but not really move left much, those were the furthest every time.

The higher you can throw and still get the disc turning for most of the flight and moving forward the entire flight, the further it will go. I know when I use to throw for distance often most shots would turn the whole flight and be 20 feet shorter than ones that had a fading finish. When I could get the carry right for most of the flight and the finish be fading but not really move left much, those were the furthest every time.

I know. Finding that perfect line for max distance can be hard. Most of my throws end up a little too low to get maximum flex. Then I'll end up throwing the next one too high and stalling it out.

You also have to put a lot of anny on a high throw. If you fail to to so the disc pans out really weakly, stalls, and falls to the ground like a rock.

I'm gonna do some throwing today and try to work on getting the discs at a consistent height to produce max distance.

Latest posts