• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Those who throw 500' backhand, which method do you use?

My thumb is in past the rim diameter but I wouldn't say two inches like TW. I know a few power throwers IRL that have their thumb almost perpendicular to the rim but that just isn't my thing. I've tried all different grips and positions over the years but I've found for distance *just* inside the rim so my thumb is on the flight plate works perfectly.

Grip strength is definitely important!

I've played a lot with my grip so far and have recently brought my thumb out near to the edge of the rim and have noticed a lot cleaner release and some more distance.

Isn't this an, "I can throw 500' so listen to my opinion" thread?

Not an, "I ****post all day and troll 90% of the users on here, and have only been playing for a few months but I'm a god and know everything" thread?

Finally, thank you.

On Topic, I can only get a little over 450' with slight right-to-left wind, on a hyzer-flip, and turn over. It gets sucked into the wind for a long time helping glide out the fade.

Interesting. I feel like I get my longest bombs when there's a slight L-R wind. The disc will turn, and the wind exaggerates the turn. My shots will usually end up right, but holy hell do they go far.

I lose noticeable distance on straight tailwinds. The disc doesn't glide or flex as well and seems to fall out of the air.

One thing I will say.... for me the difference between 450' and 500' is overall height. I tend to throw on a lower trajectory, and 450' is the norm. If I want to start going over that I have to raise the shot up a little. Not high enough to stall, but high enough to flex out a little more.

When throwing higher you need a little more turn or anny angle on your release. Fail to do so and you just get a useless stall.

Interesting. I feel like I get my longest bombs when there's a slight L-R wind. The disc will turn, and the wind exaggerates the turn. My shots will usually end up right, but holy hell do they go far.

I lose noticeable distance on straight tailwinds. The disc doesn't glide or flex as well and seems to fall out of the air.

One thing I will say.... for me the difference between 450' and 500' is overall height. I tend to throw on a lower trajectory, and 450' is the norm. If I want to start going over that I have to raise the shot up a little. Not high enough to stall, but high enough to flex out a little more.

When throwing higher you need a little more turn or anny angle on your release. Fail to do so and you just get a useless stall.

Same goes for that extra 50' (or more) in a tailwind. I know you know to disc down as a general rule of thumb for tailwinds, but for those who don't and are reading this - typically disc down in a tailwind and disc up in a headwind. Headwinds in simple terms make your disc think it's flying faster than it actually is, and vice versa for a tailwind. That results in an overstable disc turning more and fading less into a headwind, and an understable disc turning less and fading more in a tailwind.

TW I'm assuming you have multiples of your favorite bomber? You said it was the new to you Excite that did it, I'd guess you either have more than one or there's another specific mold you trust for distance as well. Instead of discing down when going for distance in a tailwind I stability down - I'd throw my "#4 Roc" or whatever instead of my calm day "#2 Roc" so to speak. Same line as the 2 but the tailwind accounts for the turn/fade of the 4 (IIRC you're a Roc thrower, right?) creating a very similar flight. I also typically exaggerate the high-throw-nose-down for the extra carry...want to keep the wind under the disc as long as possible. Given the height you can trust your understable disc in a tailwind to fade, assuming the hole you're throwing on allows it.

Do you often get to throw for open distance on the course? I seldom do but it's still fun:)

Same goes for that extra 50' (or more) in a tailwind. I know you know to disc down as a general rule of thumb for tailwinds, but for those who don't and are reading this - typically disc down in a tailwind and disc up in a headwind. Headwinds in simple terms make your disc think it's flying faster than it actually is, and vice versa for a tailwind. That results in an overstable disc turning more and fading less into a headwind, and an understable disc turning less and fading more in a tailwind.

TW I'm assuming you have multiples of your favorite bomber? You said it was the new to you Excite that did it, I'd guess you either have more than one or there's another specific mold you trust for distance as well. Instead of discing down when going for distance in a tailwind I stability down - I'd throw my "#4 Roc" or whatever instead of my calm day "#2 Roc" so to speak. Same line as the 2 but the tailwind accounts for the turn/fade of the 4 (IIRC you're a Roc thrower, right?) creating a very similar flight. I also typically exaggerate the high-throw-nose-down for the extra carry...want to keep the wind under the disc as long as possible. Given the height you can trust your understable disc in a tailwind to fade, assuming the hole you're throwing on allows it.

Do you often get to throw for open distance on the course? I seldom do but it's still fun:)

My home course has low 25' clearance and/or a nearby tree left of the tee to prevent high, left, anny, with the exception of one hole. It's maddening. Longest holes are in the 350-375 range, except for one hole (that has trees left and tall near the box...). I can reach all the par 3s with low hyzer flip shots.

My home course has low 25' clearance and/or a nearby tree left of the tee to prevent high, left, anny, with the exception of one hole. It's maddening. Longest holes are in the 350-375 range, except for one hole (that has trees left and tall near the box...). I can reach all the par 3s with low hyzer flip shots.

I personally don't like the sky anny, TW brought it up earlier in this thread IIRC. Sure it can technically yield more overall distance but the accuracy trade off is far from worth it. Fine tuning that hyzerflip to turnover is the hardest part, for me and throwers like myself at least. Simply put I just cannot trust myself on the sky anny shot - far too often I turn it way too much or not close to enough. With a screwed up hyzerflip to turn I may turn a bit too much or a bit not enough but the end result is almost never as bad as the really high shots. Hole relevant of course, much easier to recover and/or not lose a disc/go OB with the lower line.

I only have 1 Excite, and it isn't even in the bag right now. Probably should be. For on-course max distance I have a star Corvette and champion Shryke. Both are slightly on the flippy side and can be massacred when necessary.

For slightly less than max distance when accuracy matters, I use a McBeth star Destroyer. It's pretty beefy, with very little turn. I'll also use the Destroyer into headwinds. The Shryke and Corvette do fine in tailwinds or calm conditions.

I have lots of Shrykes, Corvettes, Bosses, Destroyers, Nukes, ETC. At some point I may mix a Z Nuke back in the bag. Those things work so well when you want a Destroyer-like flight, but probably 20' more distance.

The course I routinely play now (sadly) has maybe 4 holes I can cut loose with a max distance shot. Everything else is putter, mid, or 75% power fairway driver shots. The old course I used to play was far longer, and I used distance drivers on 2/3 of the holes.

1 hole is an open bomber's dream though. 600', wide open. Literally, stand there and throw the thing as far as possible.

I personally don't like the sky anny, TW brought it up earlier in this thread IIRC. Sure it can technically yield more overall distance but the accuracy trade off is far from worth it. Fine tuning that hyzerflip to turnover is the hardest part, for me and throwers like myself at least. Simply put I just cannot trust myself on the sky anny shot - far too often I turn it way too much or not close to enough. With a screwed up hyzerflip to turn I may turn a bit too much or a bit not enough but the end result is almost never as bad as the really high shots. Hole relevant of course, much easier to recover and/or not lose a disc/go OB with the lower line.

I really try to avoid throwing a sky anny. It's absolutely the best looking shot in the world when it works, but the margin for error is so high. Usually when I mess up a sky anny I don't get enough anny on it and it ends up being a high, short stall. That or I overcompensate the anny angle and torque the disc right into the ground. That said, I've had some of the absolute longest bombs of my life throwing a big anny. It just isn't a shot I trust often on the course.

Lately I've been working more on flatter releases with mid-stability drivers. Stuff that'll turn a little without getting wildly flippy. I'll pull out the hyzerflip from time to time too.

If I'm not feeling super confident in either one of those, I'll just throw something like a star Destroyer as hard as I can with a flat release. I'll lose a little distance that way, but the shot will be consistently straight. For me a star Destroyer is a bit of a "safety net" driver. You know what it's going to do, and it's and easy option.

The trick is knowing your discs well, and finding molds that work for what you want to do. Being acutely aware of what the wind is doing is important also.

Latest posts