• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Those who throw 500' backhand, which method do you use?

I know. Finding that perfect line for max distance can be hard. Most of my throws end up a little too low to get maximum flex. Then I'll end up throwing the next one too high and stalling it out.

You also have to put a lot of anny on a high throw. If you fail to to so the disc pans out really weakly, stalls, and falls to the ground like a rock.

I'm gonna do some throwing today and try to work on getting the discs at a consistent height to produce max distance.

I know it is less fun but working on form will help more with distance since you already know how to throw a real distance line.

Good news/bad news scenario today. Good news, I mashed a star Corvette 175g 475'. Bad news, it was well right of the intended target.

Absolute perfect release. Somewhat high and anny. The disc flexed out forever and went right pretty much the whole flight. What impressed me most about this throw is that it was with a disc I had previously had little luck with. Corvettes can be beefy, and need to be thrown really hard to maximize distance on.

I'm finding that right now all my very longest throws are right of the intended target. They catch a lot of air and flex crazily. I also had several 450'+ rips today with other discs. My work lately has been paying off. In the field I feel strong, and I'm definitely throwing the disc harder than before.

500' is within reach, and it could happen soon. I'm thinking something like a star Katana or Shryke on a warm, windless day.

If you're having trouble releasing a disc with some anhyzer, have you tried adjusting how much you lean over your toes instead of adjusting your arm or wrist angle?

Better put, have you tried leaning off of your toes and onto your heels some? Adjusting your shoulder position relative to your feet would change the angle of the disc without you having to align anything else. If it seems odd, think of leaning back in your throw a bit more. Walk through it a few times to get a feel, and then try to rip a few. Even if you aren't getting the best of shots, if the angle of the disc out of your hand is right, keep working and you'll get the power down.

If you're having trouble releasing a disc with some anhyzer, have you tried adjusting how much you lean over your toes instead of adjusting your arm or wrist angle?

Better put, have you tried leaning off of your toes and onto your heels some? Adjusting your shoulder position relative to your feet would change the angle of the disc without you having to align anything else. If it seems odd, think of leaning back in your throw a bit more. Walk through it a few times to get a feel, and then try to rip a few. Even if you aren't getting the best of shots, if the angle of the disc out of your hand is right, keep working and you'll get the power down.

I've been working on anny releases lately, and I've gotten better at doing it consistently. Some of it was mental, and I wasn't visualizing the process properly. I'd release the disc high, but not with enough anny to keep it from stalling. I've made a more conscious effort lately to make sure the disc is at a pretty decent anny angle at release.

I agree with the leaning back aspect. You can't throw a good anny if you're leaning too far forward.

The quest for 500'

Things are progressing decently. I feel like the hot weather lately has aided my throwing. Good grip, my body feels loose, and the warmer air seems to help the disc stay airborne.

I've been focusing more on lower hyzerflips or flat releases for sheer distance. Lower flight and less S curve. Just a very penetrating, flat flight. My consistency is improving, and I'm going over 450' with regularity now. I can still touch that distance with big, high annies, but the consistency and accuracy are terrible.

I had good throwing sessions the last couple days with a variety of fast drivers. I'm hovering at 470' with my best throws right now. A couple may have even gone further.

Molds that are providing the best distance for me currently: Corvette, Raketen, Shryke, Tern, Sheriff, Katana, Cannon, Knight, lightweight Raptor star Destroyers, Relativity, Halo, Mayhem.

The real surprise lately has been the lightweight Wysocki Raptor Destroyers. I've thrown a few of them, and they absolutely bomb. Huge, seemingly effortless distance. They'll easily hang with faster drivers.

Depending on the day, I can make any of those molds go 450'+ consistently. I like where I'm at right now, and feel that my hard work has been paying off. It might still be wishful thinking, but I'd like to hit 500' sometime this summer. What's buoying my hopes right now is the fact that I'm throwing 450'+ with a variety of molds. It isn't like there's only 1 mold out there I can mash on.

I've been over thinking this lately lol.. a disc flying level/straight it's entire flight wouldn't fly further than a disc moving left to right, etc?

Any time I refer to flat, its merely a flat release. I realize a disc isn't going to fly flat its entire flight. Not even close.

To really go far a disc needs some high speed turn. In fact, a disc probably spends very little of its flight actually flying flat.

its interesting the longest drives always seem to be with the slightly too understable discs..when they fade back they are more accyrate but slightly shorter..for me these are relativity...katana
..pro boss....ballista pro... If throw them slightly Annie they will really fly but then becomes touchy..

its interesting the longest drives always seem to be with the slightly too understable discs..when they fade back they are more accyrate but slightly shorter..for me these are relativity...katana
..pro boss....ballista pro... If throw them slightly Annie they will really fly but then becomes touchy..

Yep, all my longest drives ever have been with fast, somewhat flippy stuff. Halo, Katana, Tern, Shryke, Daedalus, Corvette, Relativity, Havoc, Ballista, Sheriff, Mayhem, Catalyst, Raketen, King, Destiny.

I hit 489' with a 160g star Tern today. Had a couple somewhat shorter throws with the G* Corvette. Conditions were perfect. Hot, somewhat humid. The air was a little thick and the discs were gliding and just seemed to hang there. Everything I got some turn on was absolutely bombing.

489' Tern throw was a hyzerflip with a little height on it. It ended up right of where I aimed, but was the longest throw of the day.

I had a Ballista pro and a champion Boss in the mix today too. Cleared 450' with both of them by using a high anny. I had to put a lot of angle on them to keep them from stalling.

I threw some annies today, but mostly hyzerflips. I get way better distance consistently throwing a hyzerflip over an anny.

Last edited:
Yep, all my longest drives ever have been with fast, somewhat flippy stuff. Halo, Katana, Tern, Shryke, Daedalus, Corvette, Relativity, Havoc, Ballista, Sheriff, Mayhem, Catalyst, Raketen, King, Destiny.
Random not very informed thought.

Flips tend to move the flight plate slower than flexes, I think?

I'm thinking of those hyzer flips that stay slightly hyzer and finally turn really late into the flight, then finally fade out, as opposed to flexes where it seems like they just move on these extreme angles. I'm thinking of Locastro's flexes as the example of that really exaggerated flex flight.

So a flip just spends much more time with its flight plate near horizontal to the ground, meaning it generates the most possible relative lift, which, everything else being equal, means more flight time and therefore distance.

Random not very informed thought.

Flips tend to move the flight plate slower than flexes, I think?

I'm thinking of those hyzer flips that stay slightly hyzer and finally turn really late into the flight, then finally fade out, as opposed to flexes where it seems like they just move on these extreme angles. I'm thinking of Locastro's flexes as the example of that really exaggerated flex flight.

So a flip just spends much more time with its flight plate near horizontal to the ground, meaning it generates the most possible relative lift, which, everything else being equal, means more flight time and therefore distance.

I think this is the key. When I hit a hyzerflip just right it'll take a while for the disc to finally start turning. You don't want it to turn too early. Usually if that happens the disc will flip over into the ground. I had a couple nice shots with a Havoc yesterday that were like this. I'd start it on a fairly steep hyzer and throw the disc as hard as I could. It took a long time for the disc to finally pop up and start turning. Just great bombs. 450'+ repeatedly. I never cared at all for the Havoc before, but when you start tuning it in for hyzerflips it works great. Kinda reminds me of a Tern.

My good, long throws usually don't have a ton of side to side movement either. Some, but not a lot.

If I'm going for all out distance I prefer discs with -2 high speed turn and 2 late fade. I want some fade, but not a really dumpy one. Now, if I'm going for big anny bombs I prefer the discs with -1/3 numbers. When throwing annies you need more late fade.

When I hit a hyzerflip just right it'll take a while for the disc to finally start turning. You don't want it to turn too early.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say that you don't want it to turn over too early? Complete nitpick, but I think it's actually turning the whole time, it's just that the turn imparted by the speed of the disc has to overcome the effect of the hyzer release. If the disc didn't have enough speed, the turn won't result in turn over, but it still pushed the disc much farther than if your disc was over stable from release.

Like I said, nit picking, but I'm really just wanting to nail down my own understanding of what's going on.

TW I definitely use a (fairly) low hyzerflip, the sky annys are quite unpredictable even if they can net me a bit more distance once in a blue moon. Consistency, my friend.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say that you don't want it to turn over too early? Complete nitpick, but I think it's actually turning the whole time, it's just that the turn imparted by the speed of the disc has to overcome the effect of the hyzer release. If the disc didn't have enough speed, the turn won't result in turn over, but it still pushed the disc much farther than if your disc was over stable from release.

Like I said, nit picking, but I'm really just wanting to nail down my own understanding of what's going on.

Potato, tomato.

Yes, the orientation of the disc is changing while hyzerflipping, but no the disc is not turning. The flight path itself is a straight line for the time being even if the disc itself is experiencing some fluidity. The nose is still the same until turn occurs.

Yes turn over can be used but the "over" part is redundant...turn is turn.

TW I definitely use a (fairly) low hyzerflip, the sky annys are quite unpredictable even if they can net me a bit more distance once in a blue moon. Consistency, my friend.

Potato, tomato.

Yes, the orientation of the disc is changing while hyzerflipping, but no the disc is not turning. The flight path itself is a straight line for the time being even if the disc itself is experiencing some fluidity. The nose is still the same until turn occurs.

Yes turn over can be used but the "over" part is redundant...turn is turn.

Hyzerflips are just way easier to throw consistently than big annies. Truth be told, I get better distance with hyzerflips anyway. Every once in a while I'll unleash a perfect, high anny that'll go 450'+. The accuracy and consistency of those shots is awful though. When I run into trouble with annies I don't get the disc angled enough and it goes high and stalls. Horrible shot and huge loss of distance.

As for turn, if I say I "turned a disc over" I generally mean it flipped into the ground or drifted right the entire flight. Throwing hyzerflips you walk a fine line. You want the disc to turn SOME, but not all the way over. That's why I like the -2/2 high speed drivers. They'll always turn, but usually aren't flippy enough to flip all the way over.

When you start messing with stuff like Bolts or Freedoms you'll have a harder time hyzerflipping. I can get both of those discs out 450'+, but they're so understable you have to be really careful how you throw them. You'll need a LOT of hyzer to keep them from turning and burning. I'd put Kings and Nuke SS's in that group too.

All this talking while I'm using a one finger grip with my offarm and toss a firebird to 600'.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

500' achieved!

I finally got to 500' today. This after a couple years of steady work to do so.

It was a combination of improving mechanics, practice, and trying out the Axiom Excite for the first time. That disc absolutely bombs, and I got my first confirmed 500' throw on flat ground with it. No wind today. It wasn't like this throw was some sort of miraculous bomb that got carried away on a tailwind.

I really didn't do anything fancy flight-wise. Just a flat release and somewhat high flight. The Excite S curved beautifully and wound up probably 40' further than any other throw I did today.

One thing I did slightly differently today was to increase pressure on top of the flight plate with my thumb. I pushed down hard enough to indent it a bit. Someone (may have been Avery Jenkins) suggested doing it in a tutorial. With increased thumb pressure and an overall tighter grip I felt like I was getting cleaner rips and more spin overall.

Today was a good day throwing, and it won't be the last time I see 500'. These types of shots have little practicality on most courses around here, but I still like knowing I can reach back and unleash that kind of distance if necessary.

My first confirmed 500'+ was with a FR Rampage I believe, either way it's a wonderful feeling (I know I reached that far before it but never measured properly). I've debated trying the wide rimmed MVP/Axiom discs, but the past few years I've shied away from new molds. Five or more years ago when the marketplace here was thriving I wanted to try everything on the market...thanks for making me want to officially try an Excite:):|

Congrats!

My first confirmed 500'+ was with a FR Rampage I believe, either way it's a wonderful feeling (I know I reached that far before it but never measured properly). I've debated trying the wide rimmed MVP/Axiom discs, but the past few years I've shied away from new molds. Five or more years ago when the marketplace here was thriving I wanted to try everything on the market...thanks for making me want to officially try an Excite:):|

Congrats!

Thanks. I knew this was coming. Lately I've been sneaking quite a few different drivers out past 450' fairly regularly. I had a good feeling about the Excite, and it didn't let me down. That thing is perhaps the most incredible distance driver I've ever thrown for sheer distance. I've had inconsistent success with the MVP Relativity, but I feel like the Excite delivers longer drives more consistently.

Several of the MVP/Axiom drivers are worthy of mention when it comes to long bombing. Mayhem, Catalyst, Relativity, Excite. There are also a few others with similar flight numbers I haven't tried yet.

The throw was just a perfect pull. I dug my thumb into the top of the flight plate a little and gripped fairly tightly. The disc ended up probably 30' right of the intended target, but ridiculously far. Even right out of my hand I knew it was annihilated. I wasn't trying to get cute with huge annies or anything. Just a straight, flat shot that turned a little and glided.

Next up will be Excite vs. G* Corvette. The G* Corvette is one of few other molds I have that I could possibly do 500' with right now.

Latest posts