• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw with your dad?

All of you folks that can and do play w/ your dads are extremely lucky.
:clap:

Posted this pic in another thread, but I think it deserves another shot...

599373_4280276887459_1888520279_n.jpg

All of us. Left to right: My brother Dan, my dad Dave, my daughter KayCee, my wife Lilika and myself.

My dad taught my brother and I the game when we were very young using a tree hole course and big lids (which my dad still throws: Condor, Zephyr and SuperHero). My brother and I are both military so it's rare for all of us to get together like this, but when we do we tend to play two to three rounds a day. And, of course, my wife and daughter play with me everytime I go out.

The 'Sauls' clan!

Let me count.
I have 3 brothers and 3 nephews who are regulars on the tournament scene.
One combination (brother & grown son) has traveled to and played a ton of events together.
On of the other brothers has a 12-year-old son who just started playing tournaments.
The 3rd brother has a 4-year-old who plays disc golf with us all the time, and played in a juniors tournament this year.
One of the other nephews has a 5-year-old son who plays all the time, and has played in the club's local tournament.
Uh, I lost count, but there's a bunch of us playing around these parts, including a 4 father-&-son combos in my family.
I was waiting to see when you'd chime in here David. I knew there was a bunch of y'all throwin' in your family!

My sister lives in Las Vegas so I throw there when I'm visiting.
My brother & step-dad live in Knoxville so I get to throw there quite often (although my dad does not throw as mentioned before).
My mom & other brother live in Oregon but I've yet to throw there as the courses are too far away from where they live. Plus my brother is like some of the others talked about here. He gets frustrated when a couple throws go bad & kinda gives up.
My ex-girlfriend just moved back to Santa Cruz so I am looking forward to visiting her there!
I'd like to add California & Oregon to my states played list here on DGCR!
Cool family golf stories! :clap: We just cant keep this sport to ourselves can we? :)

My son got me into the game almost four years ago, just before I turned 50. Since then, we've played in many touraments together and have gone on several road trips to play some of the best courses in the country.

We're both pretty competitive, and even though he is a better player (he's a 966, I'm 954) I still manage to beat him now and then...

My two teen-aged sons introduced me to the sport on Father's Day last year. Now, I play everyday and they play when they can. Smart kids - Dad will feed the passions by buying discs for all to try as long as they enjoy it and we can get out together. I'm able to hold my own with them but they are improving. One day the "old dog" will have to give it up, turn it over to the young pups, and go lay down by the fireplace ... but, it ain't gonna be today!

My dad used to play when I was a lot younger, then took a long time off. Last year, we both got into it and play together whenever we are in town together. It has been a great way for us to bond.

My mom likes to remind me how, when I was younger and my dad was playing, I hated going out to the course. He should have given me a disc then, I say!

After years of coaxing ,my wife, son and daughter now all play with me at least 18 holes a week. My son (11yrs.) has just recently began to focus on improving his game. His speed of progression is astounding. One week he throws 150ft with avg accuracy then the next week he throws 250ft with better accuracy. He does play more than 18 a week though, but then sometimes he takes 2 weeks off to do other stuff, but still comes back and displays some improvement.
On the whole disc golf has been a large part of our family time together recently. We live across the street from a 9 holer and it's easy to go out and toss a few holes. Instead of the after dinner walk for digestion we play a leisurely 9 holes and a short stroll.

I was waiting to see when you'd chime in here David. I knew there was a bunch of y'all throwin' in your family!

My sister lives in Las Vegas so I throw there when I'm visiting.
My brother & step-dad live in Knoxville so I get to throw there quite often (although my dad does not throw as mentioned before).
My mom & other brother live in Oregon but I've yet to throw there as the courses are too far away from where they live. Plus my brother is like some of the others talked about here. He gets frustrated when a couple throws go bad & kinda gives up.
My ex-girlfriend just moved back to Santa Cruz so I am looking forward to visiting her there!
I'd like to add California & Oregon to my states played list here on DGCR!
Cool family golf stories! :clap: We just cant keep this sport to ourselves can we? :)

So you're seeding disc golf all over the country? You folks will soon be able to carry the "best places for disc golf" arguments off these forums and into family reunions and funerals

We're a little more clustered. I didn't realize until I started into my post, but there are 10 of us who play enough to have played tournaments this year---all within about 30 miles of each other. (Only 3 made it to Worlds in Charlotte, though).

Met my wife on a disc golf trip. She plays, but not very often - have a son who likes to play with me weekly and a daughter that likes to run and pick up the discs after we throw them and the two year old just wants to pick up discs and put them in the basket. Family likes to walk the course when I play - we routinely go out on the weekend to new courses.

Sister in laws play some times and brother in law plays too.

Last edited:
My brother plays. He's in CA, though. My Dad's been a quadriplegic for the last 25 years, so, no, he doesn't play. My sister played once. Trying to get my five year old throwing. At least he follows me for 18 holes when the weather's nice.

Met my wife on a disc golf trip. She plays, but not very often - have a son who likes to play with me weekly and a daughter that likes to run and pick up the discs after we throw them and the two year old just wants to pick up discs and put them in the basket. Family likes to walk the course when I play - we routinely go out on the weekend to new courses.

That's awesome. When my niece and nephew were very small and accompanying us during rounds, it took forever because they thought it was a nature walk. Throw a disc, study a mushroom. Throw a disc, stick a stick in an anthill and watch the eruption. Throw a disc, go see the spider web they found. Pick up cool rocks. Putt. Pick a flower to take back to Mom......repeat 17 times.

I'll mention the First Family of South Carolina disc golf, since they're not on this thread---

Coleman Thompson and hall-of-famer Vanessa Chambers (both with 4-digit PDGA numbers), and their two sons. When the boys were high school age the whole family traveled to many tournaments together. It was a big boost to tournament attendance whenever the Thompson/Chambers clan registered.

My son and I play together all the time. I played for a couple yrs before he joined me and my friends, he now beats us regularly. He really out drives me badly. I'm 49 and he is 24, we have a blast together.

My son and I play together all the time. I played for a couple yrs before he joined me and my friends, he now beats us regularly. He really out drives me badly. I'm 49 and he is 24, we have a blast together.

I'm waiting for my son to out drive me - he's only 7 but if he concentrates instead of grabbing the disc and whipping it - he can get a good, straight 100' throw. Not all that amazing, but I've heard a lot of people on the courses say things to their friends like, "Did you see that kid throw? He throws farther than I do" - just makes me smile.

He's into rolling now though since he can almost double his distance with a roller.

My 17 yr old son and his friends are as addicted as I used to be. I still play a lot though. In fact, a few of his friends and a few of my friends are going to Highbridge in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

My regular group contains my dad and one of my younger brothers. I have another brother that plays in another state with his wife once in a blue moon. My brother in law comes along to play when ever he can. Its not unusual around here in the DFW metroplex to see families playing on the course.

Actually right now my whole family is playing. I think my wife though is going to start doing some video of us playing. Here is a blog I have been doing of our travels this year. We are getting ready for a week of trying to at least hit a course a day while on vacation. My son has just started learning and can almost out throw me.

My dad has been playing ball golf for decades but has never played disc golf. He hasn't picked up a frisbee since 1978-82 when we would take laundry baskets and make a "frisbee golf course" on our acreage in small town TN. We never knew there was such a thing as disc golf back then.

In the early part of this summer, I took my dad (a youth of 69 years) to my home course for him to see "what I was so enamored with." He was throwing my Mako and seemed to be having a good time until we came to the third hole. We step up to the tee box and he looks in front of him at this narrow gap between really high shule and trees about 30' in front of us. "Have you ever lost a disc in that mess?" he asks. "No," I reply. He then proceeds to throw the Mako in the shule to the left. We finally find it after 30 minutes (as well as two other discs). After the round, his most profound thought was that it was incredible that we can play this game in heavily wooded areas. He's played one more time since but I don't know if I can get him out to the course again.

D.

When my dad lived here in MN I was only able to get him out to the course once, and it was only for 9 of the 18 holes. Since they moved to La Crosse, I've been able to get him out on the course about 3 times now. All full 18 holes. Could be due to the fact that I only get to go down there once every 2-3 months.