• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ThrowaEnvy straightening out my Gyro bag for summer

Which Axiom Driver to try: I have all MVP drivers...

• Insanity

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Wrath

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Vanish

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Defy

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Tenacity

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
Well I had a interesting round, don't know where to put this one.. Was playing ohm, soft e envy 174 (which I'm loving) and a se 21 MJ.. Lost the MJ (temporarily it's getting dark)

I was looking for it and this barred owl hopped down 5' away from me on the ground, checking my yellow ohm and envy. He hung out for a bit and we talked for a minute, he hopped up on a branch a few feet away. I threw a gentle toss backwards to show him what I was up to, he watched.. Tossed the second and he disappeared in my back swing, silently.

Cool experience, disc was alright..

Last edited:
Barred owls are always freaky since you never hear them coming and never hear them leaving. One year during a drought one expanded its hunting grounds to include my yard; you would be outside in the dark and get this unsettling feeling, then look over at the kids play system and he would be perched up there. Never heard a thing.

Well I had a interesting round, don't know where to put this one.. Was playing ohm, soft e envy 174 (which I'm loving) and a se 21 MJ.. Lost the MJ (temporarily it's getting dark)

I was looking for it and this barred owl hopped down 5' away from me on the ground, checking my yellow ohm and envy. He hung out for a bit and we talked for a minute, he hopped up on a branch a few feet away. I threw a gentle toss backwards to show him what I was up to, he watched.. Tossed the second and he disappeared in my back swing, silently.

Cool experience, disc was alright..
Did he call out your name? ThrowaEnvy or your given name?

Did he call out your name? ThrowaEnvy or your given name?

He didn't even ask me who? Hoo-hoo...

I suppose it was a soliloquy if you really want to define it... and the noise they typically make is screaming so.. Probably best I did the talking.

Well a mostly un eventful round today and tonight, I'm sore from bucking and splitting wood today. Really enjoyed the new 174 R2 spin, I guess I'm warming up to driving it especially with reduced movement...

So I tried more hyzer pendulum kind of action with a later release filling out the figure 8 more and stepping at a distinct 45 degree angle to the throw. Seemed like a lot of easy extra distance. Time to go back and watch that video again.

Well disc at my place, finally played the "unmowed" 5 holes haha. Tried to slim down my bag before disc... Tried a few practice holes, had to keep everything. Yard ohm missing on 5 still...

Plasma envy, electron envy, r2 spin, mj 21 comet, se hex 169, relay, volt.

Banged two aces with my 174 e soft envy. Got 10 for a ctp, banged 16.. Apparently the league rules have changed, used to be a basket and a tone ace, can't remember if you need ctp or first. After I hit 10 jim looked at me and said "one more and you get a lava lamp, I put it in my trunk today" ..... That was all the incentive I needed, I got two basket aces years ago and felt cheated the last time :D. A lava lamp and $20 for Ace pot, ctp and first. -17 one stroke off the course record.

Spin pulled off a few good tight putts where there wasn't any room for an envy fade.... Comet threaded a gap on 8 but too high to ace, hit a headwind on 6 and kept on going. Used the Hex into the headwind next time with solid results. Used my birdie beads from Kyle, I won't take those for a tourney again but great for a casual round so I don't have to count.

Lots of mayhem across the group with trees and goofy stuff. Couple people got hosed on the hanging tonal, I had to spike #9 to a tree with a Wood screw since it fell over in the wind last week. Some weird wind action, a 90 degree griplock by one dude. A new guy playing as well. Just a fun day!

Last edited:
So Triple Crown here... Sam's place for 9, my place for 9, 18 at the regular course but the "original" course before it was 27. We actually play some stuff backwards and move baskets.

Soft envy, plasma ash envy, 169 proton sparkle spin,
MJ 21 Z Comet, 169 SE Hex,
Fr 165 relay, 165 fission volt, 158 cosmic wave.

Pretty solid bag.. Pretty much cleaned up no aces but I got 2nd CTP for the ace pot. Money for poker at Sam's. Got almost all lucky bounces luckily the double bogey was on the last hole so no time to melt down. I did throw a roller at 15 before I remembered I had to put the basket there first :D (blind hole haha)

-7 at Sam's, -9 My place, -9 in dubs, -4 solo with 3 par and a double bogey.

Won the Triple Crown!!!!! :D

2012, 2018, 2021

Couple wandering thoughts on a rainy night and a long day...no disc tonight too many service calls and not enough billable hours.. Same as yesterday without the 9 holes, my knees gripe but I miss it when I don't.. Anywho.

Triple Crown, before I forget..
"Back in the straddle again" ..bum De dum dum dunnuana
Was forced to throw a lot of straddle putts like an uncharacteristically large amount.. Probably six of em in one competitive round/ tourney. Nailed em all the best was five at my place, way out horrible spot, looked like 50' probably 38' based on my max straddle putt, barely caught the bottom of tin. Did a lot of heavy lifting and "carried" my partner (he said it not me haha) but he's my main nemesis at league.

Played two rounds with Alex which was great, he is one of the two OG discers left at Sunday church. He kinda sorta grumbled when he realized if we were paired together final round his odds of catching me were reduced haha, I reminded him back before we played solo holes last I was his competition and I helped him out. I was his main competition 1 stroke behind maybe 2.. and it was no win for me on the final stretch, I was happy to see and help him win it!!

Disc related.. Firm birdie grip, lock that disc. It's getting wet don't be a schmuck.

Double dragon and feel the hips, the huge lag on the FH should be the same BH. Turn more like 55 degrees and hop back and forth. Crush those cans... be a grandfather clock!

The R2 174 spin requires too much power, I enjoy it for driving but it's just not doing anything my cosmic 174 envy can't

A stable esp comet is awesome downhill on 6, esp season is here, time to put away the elite X's. Looking to see how the 21 MJ holds up as it gets colder.

Well Golf Island Disc Park is #18 on udisc top 100 for 2022
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=2066&mode=ci

Great even more tourists haha...

Started a thread about playing a fresh bag, I'm going to try that today with my 3rd tier backups.

Fresh ohm
Uplink
Big Z Saturn stamp comet
Hex 169 SE
Relay 160 (custom Calvin and Hobbes)
Fizz Volt 165
Cosmic 158 se insanity L2
Fresh 174 soft JC team mvp electron envy (I don't have any others unthrown that aren't bagged)

Hoping to get it done with that but it's going to be a bit rough without a beat envy. Or two. Got a fresh Rogue Iron double sac sling bag too.

I thought it had been awhile but it wasn't. Pulled out two yard envy and two uplinks today. Used a fresh 159 plasma inertia. Nice to try a plasma inertia, fits right with my worn fr 155's and I don't care about trashing it. Probably going to be redundant with the insanity but they are kind of different enough. I can sure push an inertia straight and with the fast drop I'm getting good placement. I'm looking at it as a relay os kind of slot. Fairway or distance it feels right.

Also got gifted a k1 soft falk, now that is a solid competitor. It's tough not to bag it. Tons of glide and it's a great BH disc, not clicking on the FH so much, bit redundant with inertia/insanity but it's less stable. Staring at too many drivers I don't need but going to run in order of stability:

Relay, Falk, Inertia, insanity and the volt.

The uplink love affair is still on, it's too much fun to put down. Also redundant but looking like uplink, comet, hex.

Putters still envy in plasma and soft electron. The spin is losing ground to the uplink so I've freed up some space there. Thinking about the ohm.

. . . Used a fresh 159 plasma inertia. Nice to try a plasma inertia, fits right with my worn fr 155's and I don't care about trashing it. Probably going to be redundant with the insanity but they are kind of different enough. I can sure push an inertia straight and with the fast drop I'm getting good placement. I'm looking at it as a relay os kind of slot. Fairway or distance it feels right.

Also got gifted a k1 soft falk, now that is a solid competitor. It's tough not to bag it. Tons of glide and it's a great BH disc, not clicking on the FH so much, bit redundant with inertia/insanity but it's less stable. Staring at too many drivers I don't need but going to run in order of stability:

Relay, Falk, Inertia, insanity and the volt.

I am intrigued by your Plasma Inertia being less stable / more understable vs. Insanity. Which plastic Insanity do you throw?

Neutron Inertia was my main driver for quite a while. I found it similar to the Neutron Wave as remarkably straight for a distance driver, with the N Inertia being more likely to fight out of a turn vs. N Wave but also a bit shorter. Plasma Insanity for me was always a turn-and-fade disc, similar to my old Star Valks (at least until the Insanity gets chunked up a bit and loses its fade).

All 150s of course. :D

I have been digging the Fission Wave as having slightly more fade vs. Neutron Waves. If the Plasma Inertia was a notch more understable vs. Fission Wave, I could see that being worth a try (assuming they get stocked again).

What say you, o great tester of all things gyro? ;)

I am intrigued by your Plasma Inertia being less stable / more understable vs. Insanity. Which plastic Insanity do you throw?

Neutron Inertia was my main driver for quite a while. I found it similar to the Neutron Wave as remarkably straight for a distance driver, with the N Inertia being more likely to fight out of a turn vs. N Wave but also a bit shorter. Plasma Insanity for me was always a turn-and-fade disc, similar to my old Star Valks (at least until the Insanity gets chunked up a bit and loses its fade).

All 150s of course. :D

I have been digging the Fission Wave as having slightly more fade vs. Neutron Waves. If the Plasma Inertia was a notch more understable vs. Fission Wave, I could see that being worth a try (assuming they get stocked again).

What say you, o great tester of all things gyro? ;)

I'm throwing 158 cosmic se's with the absorb 81 stamp. They cut a tight S and get 20' more than an inertia. Insanity is my distance bomber since I shelved the wave. The plasma insanity wandered too much when I got a hold of it, tends to have a panning fade. Good disc, not giving up on it.

A bunch of it is shot shape, the plasma inertia flies like a worn neutron, or familiar to how I remember. Since I try hard to bomb plasma 167 envy's straight I am comfortable with a touch of anny and nose down when I snap. I wouldn't call it less HSS than the insanity but the fast drop leaves it on center with the pin often. Making it the straighter choice, with a different angle of release. It is not actually less stable than the wave and shorter.

Got some deadly straight uphill shots with it. I guess I slotted it next to the relay because of the speed I'm using it at, it's the step up/ relay OS kinda slot with more distance potential. Kind of a little turn to dump. Just really wants to push straight with only a moderate change unless I really crank it anhyzer. So no extra distance but great placement. It just feels like it fits with the bag. But 5 drivers is too much, when I went through my bag last night I've got an extra driver and an extra mid, which will kick a putter option.

Bag in transition.. :D

Last edited:
I also play all woods golf so the lines are tight, thats where the inertia is really shining for me. When I'm worrying about the relay or insanity wandering,

Well I got drunk last night, too many beer (6%) not enough lunch. Signed up for a DG tournament that also encompasses a trip to the bolf course. So long, haha. I'm out of shape. Did some practice drives to reconnect with distance. Packed 16 discs. So end of round 1 looking at:

Tier 1
Plasma 155 wave great distance, right disc for my mediocreness. Shelved it before because it was too flippy, now it's just right. Yikes and yay.

163 fission tesla the FH smasher! Great distance straight to fade.

155 fission tesla, Jack of all trades distance and potential water disc.

Tier 2
158 custom Calvin relay.. Fresh, little turn little fade

155 og neutron relay, not the best results but I need a turnover control disc.

160 gstar roadrunner, backup/ water disc. Still decent fighting with a...

172 k1 soft falk, had some good runs last month, longer relay role. Good wet grip, good glide. Solid thrower.

160 fission volt and se 159 cosmic neutron insanity for sentimental/ past success.

Tier 3
Already in the basement
155 inertia plasma, backup insanity and relays, heavy waves, fission 162 wave, backup fizz volt.

Midrange/ putter battle next... 3 comets, uplink, hex

5 envy, entropy, spin and ohm

picture.php

Gotta haves... Marm-O soft neutron is fighting it out with Yard Envy #2. I want to go soft n Marm-O for the feels.

Also the bag will be rogue iron over double nutsac. More pockets. Extra side pouch and zippered back pocket. (I still have my original dragged out double nutsac and it's still in decent shape for 10yrs of wear, love the company)

Last edited:
Feeling confident on putters and mids, picked the right comet, dumped the ohm for now., I have my magic cosmic soft envy. (reserved for league play) the spin made it because it went where I wanted shelved the R2 yard spin..

Any thoughts on drivers? I've got to pick a relay... might add a cosmic 157 se n tesla for the between. Maybe throw in a backup wave or go crazy with my 145 fission and just avoid the relay. Falk has good odds. I want to throw my cosmic se insanity but I didn't connect today.

picture.php

Last edited:
Any thoughts on drivers?

I'm not much for tournaments, so take this with a grain of salt. But I found that giving myself fewer choices in a tournament was a good thing.

As was having a backup for any absolutely critical discs I might lose during the round.

I am sure you will choose and play well. :)

I feel odd that so much of my bag overlaps with you old fogies......

But great choices so far. Waves are the best. Insanities are a close second. I could do all my work off the tee with those two. Curious that you two don't click.

Best of luck with the tourney! Maybe lay off the heavy drinking that day. Orrrrrr. Maybe not.....lol

Latest posts