• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing fairway driver

Stankyjahnke

Double Eagle Member
When's the right time to throw one cause I have a couple In my bag and never throw them? If the hole is 250 or under I throw my buzzz. If its longer than that I throw my wraith,teerex, or dominator. I know there good for rollers but I feel like rollers are very inconsistate and I don't really know when to throw when.

The farther you throw, the more the distance gap between your drivers and mids will widen. Also, if you are throwing nose up a bit with the drivers, then your distance gap will be even smaller because the drivers don't work well on nose up throws. With 250' on your mids, you probably will see better results throwing your fairways for any longer shots where placement is key, and leaving the drivers alone except for max distance drives.

Work with all your discs in a field and see where they all land. Focus on a distant target, and throw all your discs toward it and see where they land. I bet your fairway drivers will be closer to the target line and probably about the same distance as your distance drivers. If your drivers aren't noticeably further than your fairways, then you probably throw with nose up and/or are letting them go instead of letting them rip out of the hand.

Last edited:
The farther you throw, the more the distance gap between your drivers and mids will widen. Also, if you are throwing nose up a bit with the drivers, then your distance gap will be even smaller because the drivers don't work well on nose up throws. With 250' on your mids, you probably will see better results throwing your fairways for any longer shots where placement is key, and leaving the drivers alone except for max distance drives.

Work with all your discs in a field and see where they all land. Focus on a distant target, and throw all your discs toward it and see where they land. I bet your fairway drivers will be closer to the target line and probably about the same distance as your distance drivers.

That's a pretty good idea thanks. I need to get a nice calm day and go out to a football field or something and see if they can fit in anywhere

I use fairways up to 345 with accuracy. Anything past that it's just muscling :/ I can still keep em more accurate than my drivers. Anything in the 250-345 range. Yes I can put a mid past 250, but I can control fairways way more. :D

That's because they will show your flaws more than drivers. Get into a rhythm with a couple of em and you'll be set. I love the Gazelle more than most discs in my bag. I currently and running Gazelle, XS, Predator(though I think it's a driver), and the banshee. I have my teebird in there to see if I like it more than the gazelle.

Yeah the leopard and eagle I have are just beat up. I'm too broke to buy some new ones right now but I can throw my dominator laser straight I just over throw holes and I use my wraiths for anything in that 250 to 325 range I just don't put the gusto on it. I really liked a kc pro teebird then my brother let his friend use it and lose it.

did you skip ace hole 13 at lippold? if its the hole im thinking of then i once ace ran that hole 4 times and smashed chains 3 times but got nothing to stick (RHBH) haha. and i cant seem to deuce hole 6. come close every time i play (only played 2-3 rounds there) there but never get it, every time i play there is a headwind on that damn hole.

did you skip ace hole 13 at lippold? if its the hole im thinking of then i once ace ran that hole 4 times and smashed chains 3 times but got nothing to stick (RHBH) haha. and i cant seem to deuce hole 6. come close every time i play (only played 2-3 rounds there) there but never get it, every time i play there is a headwind on that damn hole.

No I hit it in the air after I rode a couple trees. It's the one in the forest with the 100 trees and I think your talking about 7 cause 6 is a 511 foot hole 7 is like across a path and through a opening between two trees. N it always seems to be windy there for some reason.

I use mine from 220 to 400 ft. it is basically just another driver or utility disc that flies different lines than my mid range disc and putters - I only use the eagle and carry 6 of them

fairway drivers

im glad to see im not the only one who stocks up on a fairway driver like that ive got like 6 leopards all different plastics and weights,

Maybe it's just the courses I play but I'm buzzz or my drivers I use my eagle on a couple holes but that's cause it's flippy

At Lippold I only throw fairways on a few holes, a Teebird on 11, 15, 16 and a JLS on 14. I've been working on throwing a Buzzz on 14 and I might need to go to a Wraith on 15. That course is a driver and approach course. If you ever play Fairfield, I only use a fairway on 2,6,11a and that isn't even every round.

Now if I play the Grey Fox all longs I will throw fairways off the tee on up to 8 holes, plus some approaches. I think I use fairways more often when I need to hit lines, problem is a lot of courses in this area don't have lines that need to be hit.

Maybe it's just the courses I play but I'm buzzz or my drivers I use my eagle on a couple holes but that's cause it's flippy

Well I play a lot of the courses you play. I only use my vikings on holes that are 350'+ and wide open (holes 5,6, and 15 at lippold). I don't use my fairways a lot there becuase the holes in that distance range for me have tight fairways. Witch I choose to throw a mid on and take my three insted of risking a tree hit and taking a 4. If you want to give your fairways a workout try Gray Fox in Silver lake WI.

I use fairway drivers when its same distance as mid but with tighter height restraints so i need extra glide. Or when i need just a bit more of a push distance wise, but don't want to go all the way to Max D driver. Or when placement is more important than distance. Sometimes 350' accurate is WAY better than 400' in a bad position.

I use Nukes for drives that I'm not trying to park. All my other drivers (fw and d) are differentiated by line, not distance. I throw XLs and Surges from the same distances; they just give different lines. My XL won't fade until very late, while my surge fades off a bit earlier.

Up until recently I would play with speed 9 drivers, and a wraith. I bought a teebird, leopard, and an opto river. Tonight I was getting in the rythm with the river until it went into the water. Unfortunately I have chucked them all in water by now. I was able to get the leopard back. Ive been noticing I've been getting better distance and accuracy when using fairway drivers.