• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

throwing putter almost 300ft

JumboJamez

I started at the beginning of the summer and i feel like i havent improved in the past couple months. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I was practicing throws on a football field and this was my result. My goal was to get good controlled distance without flexing the disc. These distances are from stand still.

Anode putters 280-300ft straight no fade
Vector midranges 280-300ft straight smooth fade
Escape fairway 300-310ft straight medium fade
Destroyer driver 300-310ft straight hard fade (I hit 350-360ft if I flex the destroyer with run up)

I found the compensation of what height and angle i needed to throw the putter today. I'm having a hard time figuring out what height I am suppose to throw the midranges and drivers. I threw them lower of course compared to the putter but they dont go a lot further than my putters. When i tried throwing the drivers higher they faded hard but at the same distance. Why are my driver discs not going a lot further than my mid range or putter? Any help would be much appreciated.

DO you have access to a camera that takes video? Try making a form video and posting it in the form critique thread. Those guys are awesome about giving good tips. 280-300 feet with an Anode is awesome distance, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

But the fact that you are getting little to no separation between that putter and your mids/drivers means there is certainly some form issues. The potential is there, you just need to clean it up a bit.

Yes, make a form video so I can see what I'm doing wrong as well - I pretty much have the same issue...

The putter you are throwing is stable, while the other discs depending on plastic may be stable-overstable. Do you have an Axis, River, and a Valk to throw, or any more understable discs than you are currently throwing?

I agree with the others, get some video

It's more than likely that you are throwing with the disc in a nose-up attitude. Putters are not near as sensitive to nose-angle. Drivers on the other hand are very sensitive comparatively. When throwing, your discs are probably not inline with your forearm. You'll need to keep your wrist in more of a "handshake" position to keep the nose down on your discs.

Holding the disc straight out in front of you at eye level, you should be able to see the front rim and the front-most portion of the bottom of the flight-plate. If you can't see the rim, you would be throwing with a nose-up angle or at most, completely flat. This causes the disc to stall prematurely. This is probably what you are seeing.

The post above is correct, that's hard to translate without knowing how it feels to throw nose down.

Should as that the most difficult part is keeping nose down orientation through wrist extension, the wrist naturally tries to straighten. So practicing coming into it is easy, but the hard part is through the extension.

Should as that the most difficult part is keeping nose down orientation through wrist extension, the wrist naturally tries to straighten. So practicing coming into it is easy, but the hard part is through the extension.

This is exactly what I've been working on for the last month. It's not the easiest thing to pull straight through with the wrist in the "handshake" position, but it's added 50' to my drives.

Also make sure your weight is over your pivot foot because if your weight is back then it's very hard to throw nose down.

It may have already been said, but slow down your run up. I was having problems getting max distance because I was trying too hard. Slow down, focus on reach back, snap, posture, etc. It's worked for me, so maybe it will for you!

Another tip that works for me: keep your head down when you throw. When I lift my head expecting to see my disc go sailing for some big D, the disc ends up being released nose up, climbs to heavens and stalls out. When I keep my head down and focus on finishing out the throw, that's where the gravy is.

Latest posts