• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing slower discs for beginners?

remibarron

Bogey Member
I'm currently throwing a beast, sidewinder, XL, Wraith, and Avenger. I like the understable ones the most, but they all seem to go the same distance, roughly 300 (very roughly).

I read that it's good to start by throwing slower discs. Like a teebird maybe? Is this just so I can work on form?

I'm not even sure if I would consider myself a beginner, but I am only throwing around 300. Regardless, should I keep throwing these discs and work on more snap, or throw something slower?

Thanks

If you are only throwing 300 you can probably drop the Wraith for the time being. Sidewinder is a good choice how is the flight path of it for you?

I would try out a Leopard and see how that flies for you.

discing down is a common strategy, Check out the technique sticky it will give you drills and cues to get you over the 300 hump.

I have just stepped down to the teebird and leopard combo. I am not a beginner either and I feel that learning these discs or slower discs will help with accuracy and make your game better in the long run. A teebird will fly a long way well past the 300 ft. barrier. The leopard is great to learn control, annys, and hyzer flips.
The XL is a good choice a lot like a leopard when worn in and also KINDA like a worn in dx teebird.

In the last 5 weeks of only carrying these 2 molds my drives are consistently better and my max d with a teebird is now 350, it was 320 with a valkyrie. I say give it a shot for sure it will pay dividends for a long time to come.

If you are only throwing 300 you can probably drop the Wraith for the time being. Sidewinder is a good choice how is the flight path of it for you?

I would try out a Leopard and see how that flies for you.

My flight path for the Sidewinder is usually either just straight then fade at the end, or for my longest throws with it it's got a little bit of turn then curves back. Probably my favorite disc right now.

I have just stepped down to the teebird and leopard combo. I am not a beginner either and I feel that learning these discs or slower discs will help with accuracy and make your game better in the long run. A teebird will fly a long way well past the 300 ft. barrier. The leopard is great to learn control, annys, and hyzer flips.
The XL is a good choice a lot like a leopard when worn in and also KINDA like a worn in dx teebird.

In the last 5 weeks of only carrying these 2 molds my drives are consistently better and my max d with a teebird is now 350, it was 320 with a valkyrie. I say give it a shot for sure it will pay dividends for a long time to come.

Sounds good thanks. And weight/plastic type suggestions?

Dx teebird mid 160s. Champ or pro Leo mid 160s. Champ is a tic more stable pro is butter for sure. I prefer lighter discs in general.

I didn't know we gave discs IQ tests... seems like all discs would have to be slow if they let us throw them at trees and metal.

I just threw a Latitude Diamond for the first time the other day, and would recommend it for a Discing down driver. Mine is a 153, so it is light. But, it is not super flippy. It forces you to throw very smoothly and not over power the disc if you want a nice straight flight path. With hyzer it will pop up flat and then turn if you have a lotmof snap on it. With a smooth flat pull it will start turning right earlier and make a nice long turnover disc. Someone in another thread suggested it so I gave it a try. Don't let the fact that it is marketed to new players, women and children scare you off. At 300' it should be a very fun disc for you. And as you get better it will be a good turn over disc.

I didn't know we gave discs IQ tests... seems like all discs would have to be slow if they let us throw them at trees and metal.

SN311H-Detail-Parking.gif

The sidewinder is a great choice and as you noted, will get you to 300 same as you're saying your wraith will. However, at that distance and the way you're saying you get your sidewinder to fly, the sidewinder's probably going to be more accurate and have less fade at the end. I'd say stick with it a while. Champ around 167g is good and you can also use it to learn to throw forehand (It's what I used to learn). The DXs are sweet too, but don't take much abuse at all.

Also, you'll hear it a million times from lots of people, and it took me a year before I tried one, but honestly, the Teebird would be an excellent disc for you to pick up.

Last edited:
This all sounds pretty good. Thanks for the advice. On another note what do you think about the beast? To me it seems like a more stable and faster sidewinder.

I am in the same boat as you. I can throw about 300 and have been stuck there for a while. Maybe I need to go pick up a teebird and leopard for a while.

Also, I am also from utah. You in salt lake? if so we should get out and play a bit. I only have a few other friends who play and its always nice to play with and learn from new people. PM me if interested.

My only experience with a beast was a month or so after I started playing. Someone gave me one, and for my ability at the time, it meathooked like crazy (Although it did have a sizeable gouge in the rim on one edge that may have been the culprit). However, lots of people throw them. My advice would be that if you're looking for something a little more stable, try a star valk. The valk is a great disc, and you can get it in about any plastic you want to try if you're wanting to compare differences. I think it's actually made in a larger variety of plastics than any other disc, but I'm not 100% on that.
This all sounds pretty good. Thanks for the advice. On another note what do you think about the beast? To me it seems like a more stable and faster sidewinder.