• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing too far right on good drives

Especially on the shanked throws it looks like your elbow isn't loose enough and the disc comes through and releases a bit further away from your body than the technique you are looking for. Your release isn't always consistent either so you some times get grip lock and release late. Thanks for posting the vid though, it gave me the idea to video some of my drive releases. BTW, looks like a nice fun course you are playing there.

What do you suggest to get the elbow to loosen up? I took some bad advice when I first learned disc golf and threw every throw with my elbow completely locked. Did that for probably a few years, so it's probably some old habits set into my throw.

Those are very fun courses. :)

Been thinking about this and looking at my throw. I threw an Orc for a long time so probably got used to releasing at that anhyzer angle. Now I'm using a Valkyrie which immediately turns even more anhyzer.

Just practice the throw in slow motion and be aware of the difference between your current release and the practice motion. Then go back to the driving videos and make sure you have all the basics.

I visual that lots of people find helpful is one of the pullthrough being very similar to starting an outboard motor (or a lawnmower start, but coming level across your nipples rather than up from your hip).

Just glancing at this (not really analyzing) I notice that you have a hitch in your throw where your disc comes well away from your chest when it reaches your chest through to your release. The throws that were releasing off to the right in general had more power/snap/zip to them.....and those were the throws where your pullthrough did not have as much of that hitch in them and better approximated the outboard motor pull.

The "lowlights" show a lot of you throwing anhyzers. Look at how much of an anhyzer angle your shoulders are making right after the hit. Telegraphing your shots better will probably help with that:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

It might also help with your weight shift, which is off, too. On some of the ones where it really goes right you're actually leading your hips with your shoulders. That's from starting your pull too early and not getting hip roatation.

There's a throw at about 0:25 in where your timing looks much better than the other throws and the disc flies farther, but it also looks like you might be rolling your wrist over, so watch for that, too.

Something to watch for, and I've had issues with this too, is not to have your weight behind you (i.e. to the right if you're looking at you from behind). That can cause unintenional anhzyers and worm burners.

Working through the Dan Beato video, not moving from one step to the next until you have it down will help a ton with the weight transfer.

too sum it up easily...you are rleasing with anhyzer angle...the disc will go right everytime(rhbh)...maybe work on a slower x-step and release would help also..you don't need to run up as fast as you can to throw farther or more accurate..go to a field and practice, practice, practice...notice your forehand was decent but it wobbled coming out...seems you didnt follow thru on your snap..i tend to follow thru like im pitching in baseball when throwing forehand, i get more distance and accuracy keeping my eye where i want the disc to go and following thru

Last edited:
I second that. I have always been blessed with a long arm but the problem I see newer guys doing....ALL of the time is throwing too hard. Throwing harder doesnt always equal longer drives. Sometimes no run up and just a simple x step is all you need. I dont ever really run up on my drives, its kind of like a x step/ crop hop(If you ever played baseball). I am very accurate and usually average 350-400 on my long drives. People tell me it looks like I dont use any effort, I think its just arm speed which practice will help.

Awesome, thanks very much for the advice everyone. I will be practicing all these tips and report my results after some time to let them soak in :)

Just takes time bud, like they said in the Navy...sometimes when you work slower you actullay get faster. Same concept, work slower and you will get more consistant and longer

The "lowlights" show a lot of you throwing anhyzers. Look at how much of an anhyzer angle your shoulders are making right after the hit. Telegraphing your shots better will probably help with that:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

Wow I just realized I tilt the disc (in my reach-back) the OPPOSITE of what I mean to. As I've been trying to get more hyzer I've been tilting it more and more anhyzer. When you release the disc hyzer the edge is lower then your wrist so that's the same way I hold it in the reach-back. Looking at your pictures however this is the opposite of what the guy is doing. It makes sense if the disk is staying on the same plane through the entire reach-back/pull/throw. Wow! It's an epiphany! (if those pics show the truth.. wow.. surpised it's not a more common problem.. or I'm just backwards)

The tilt of the disc in my backswing was definitely the cause of the shanks. I was tilting it the opposite way then I should have. Practiced doing this right last night and had very good results, I was getting the angle I wanted on my release almost every time. Will practice this more as well as the other tips here. Thanks all.

I'd check these things:

1. weight back at release.
2. disc not close to the body.
3. starting your pull too early (e.g. in motion forwards hard before your plant foot hits the ground).

You want your weight forward while pulling with the disc close to your body and you don't want to start your pull until after your plant foot has hit the ground.

safe to assume these techniques will work with a 13 speed driver as well?

I recently got a Boss Star and having a tough time controlling it...it rolls/leans over to the right so quickly. I'm 100% sure it's my poor technique/release because I haven't thrown RHBH in years.

The Boss definitely goes farther than my Orc which i can launch perfectly forehand, but i needed a RHBH disc for the dogleg rights.

crap...i meant i can launch my Orc RHBH no problem, hooks left. i'm having trouble with my forehand flick of the Boss, hooking right.

Your balance is way off. You should spend a good amount of time watching the top pro's and trying to copy their footwork. Don't throw, just work on your footwork, do it over and over and over. Stay balanced. I think you've convinced yourself that you have to lean back in order to keep the disc from flying straight up and to the left. I'd concentrate on that and reaching straight back and pulling straight through. If you improve in those two departments, you will be much better off. Also, tell your lily white friend to keep his shirt on and ask the other guy if the jorts are really worth it.

Hope this helps.

Your balance is way off. You should spend a good amount of time watching the top pro's and trying to copy their footwork. Don't throw, just work on your footwork, do it over and over and over. Stay balanced. I think you've convinced yourself that you have to lean back in order to keep the disc from flying straight up and to the left. I'd concentrate on that and reaching straight back and pulling straight through. If you improve in those two departments, you will be much better off. Also, tell your lily white friend to keep his shirt on and ask the other guy if the jorts are really worth it.

Hope this helps.

By leaning back do you mean I lean towards the back of the pad? Or lean with my back arched back? I definitely agree that my balance does not feel right in my approach.

LOL @ LWF! I was wondering why it took so long for somebody to comment on that, I put him in for shock value, trust me I cut out a lot of footage of him, I agree :p Whats a jorts?

crap...i meant i can launch my Orc RHBH no problem, hooks left. i'm having trouble with my forehand flick of the Boss, hooking right.
I'm not sure that advice directly applies to forehand, which I think you might be asking about. I'll defer to someone else for most of the forehand advice but no matter what the technique it will be a lot easier to diagnose and fix problems with putters, mids and slow fairway drivers.

By leaning back do you mean I lean towards the back of the pad? Or lean with my back arched back? I definitely agree that my balance does not feel right in my approach.

LOL @ LWF! I was wondering why it took so long for somebody to comment on that, I put him in for shock value, trust me I cut out a lot of footage of him, I agree :p Whats a jorts?

jorts= jean shorts

Your back is arched. You are trying too hard to stay in a straight line, with your run up. You are using your body to throw the disc, but not in the proper way. Instead of explaining the proper footwork to you, I'd check out videos of guys like Barry Shultz.

As I said, watch those guys and do nothing but the footwork, then incorporate your upper body into your throw. Once your footwork is better, you will see a dramatic improvement in your accuracy, as well as distance. Slow and smooth wins the race.

www.discgolfreview.com has great videos of some very good pros. Paul McBeth has great videos of his drives on his website. You can also find a video of Feldberg playing a full round on youtube. CONCENTRATE ON THEIR FEET!!!!

Also, buy 5 of the same putters and practice your drives with them. They will tell you everything you need to know about your technique or lackthereof.

what do you guys think are some of the best forehand/sidearm-friendly discs? my buddy uses the Roc and it works well for him.

although I'm sure it's not my Boss that's the problem, rather my extremely poor technique, i'm just curious as to what may be more sidearm-friendly and pick one up. thanks