• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Uphill

#1 is always a disappointment as I'm not 100% warm yet and don't feel like throwing another 15 minutes to warm up. Normally a 3

#8 is my 2nd hardest hole after #5. I try too hard after the 2 easy holes before it. I seem to ram a disc into the hill under that tree.

#17 is always a 4 even though I've bounced the disc off the basket a few times. I'm surprised how many times people park at the bottom of 17 and watch.

I gotta take a break 81 holes in 3 days - my arm is a little sore LOL

36 Beaver Dam
27 Tokan Creek
18 Heistand Park (why is it called Radar Hill??)

BTW - getting longer slowly . . .until my arm feels like it will fall off.

That's a lot of disc golf-I know the feeling.

Under the tree on 8's not a bad place to be; high enough up the hill and you might have a look for your 2, and if you can hit the top of the hill where the dirt is under the tree you might even be able to skip up onto the shelf (that's my go to shot when I'm not feeling up to cresting the hill on the fly).

And those people parked by 17 are usually employees from American Family Insurance who have to leave the campus to smoke. Sometimes you'll see 10-15 of them out there, all sitting in their separate cars, talking on their phones and smoking.

Hiestand's called radar hill because there used to be a radar communications site there I think used by the military. The older generation knows it by that name, from back before it was a park and the land was best known as a great place for sledding. I've been told a lot of the facility was actually around hole 8, since that's the highest point in the park, which makes it one of, if not the, highest places in the area.

I've started throwing rollers on uphill, especially with low trees to deal with. I'll probably never birdie this way, but I'm making par more consistently on those holes now.

My Leopards (especially my light 153g) are awesome rollers when I newbie anhyser forehand and yesterday I accidentally had a fantastic roller uphill which got me thinking I should really utilize this shot more often . . . ON PURPOSE!!

Radar Hill - I sort of thought that but being almost a lifetime resident I had never heard that before.

#8 I seem to make it half way up the hill (stop laughing), then approach is level with the basket on the right and par. All of those uphills I brain cramp and throw too low. I think I concentrate too much, get tight and over think. When I walk up and just throw nice and loose I do much better on most throws (with my foot planted of course).

I think it's a free style thing.

My Leopards (especially my light 153g) are awesome rollers when I newbie anhyser forehand and yesterday I accidentally had a fantastic roller uphill which got me thinking I should really utilize this shot more often . . . ON PURPOSE!!

Radar Hill - I sort of thought that but being almost a lifetime resident I had never heard that before.

#8 I seem to make it half way up the hill (stop laughing), then approach is level with the basket on the right and par. All of those uphills I brain cramp and throw too low. I think I concentrate too much, get tight and over think. When I walk up and just throw nice and loose I do much better on most throws (with my foot planted of course).

I think it's a free style thing.

Halfway up the hill is not too bad, and can give you a look for 2 if the basket's in the short position. That's about where I end up on an average drive from the long tees (on a really good drive, I usually just crest the hill). And I've seen many players who've played a lot longer than you fail to make it even halfway up. So you're doing well.

8 is tough because you have to throw the disc high in the air and keep it nose down so that it doesn't fade out early. It plays a lot longer than the actual distance posted, because the trees make for a pretty tight gap. The trees also take away the big hyzer route, either back hand or forehand, which would make the hole easy. Instead, you have to throw something up the gut that carries at least 250' at a height of about 20' or 25' off the ground: not a lot of people can do that consistently. I play with a lot of veteran players in the area, and getting to the top of the hill even from the short tees is certainly not guaranteed; it's definitely not a deuce or die hole by any means.

For sure throw a faster driver if your having these issues.

Elevation changes are tricky. Depending on the angle even though the hole is 340ft it would really be 380ft due to the elevation change.

The same thing can be said about downhill drives,but it's the opposite.

I mostly throw flippy discs uphill. I have a 149 gr. r-pro Katana that I let go on a hyzer that flips over nicely and climbs beautifully. I also throw a beat up 180gr. DX Stingray on uphill shots with the same technique. When the disc flips over it gains altitude and I also reachback low and release higher.

For me I disc up in the sense of distance and disc down in the sense of stability. Understable and fast, thrown parallel to the plane of the hill tends to result in exactly what I want.

Well I tell ya - i used a used Wraith which I got for $1 and had my best yet going up hill. In fact rating wise I had my best round ever (890 which for me was GREAT). I picked up a Nuke SS recently but have not had a chance to really get to know it yet but I'm at that stage where all of a sudden each disc has it's own personality. AWESOME!!

There is a steep uphill at a local course I play had a tough time getting the disc up it until I got some understable drivers. Throwing it on the flip really seems to help, me at least. I am just slightly higher than the top of the hill on release.

When throwing uphill, I pretty much always use my most understable disc. For me a flippy, putter thrown hard on a high hyzer line works very well.

And its not part of the original question per se, but anytime im throwing up a ridge, i find that its easiest to throw along the ridge versus up the side. Not sure why this is true, but i thinks its because you don't shoot back and forth over the ridge.

I just started having great success at 1, 4, 17, and 8 at heistand. I just disc up and like mikec said, throw harder. For 17 I use my volt and flex it just a bit and it lands at the base of the trees...

Pm me for a round sometime

Latest posts