• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing with a tailwind

Spackler

Bogey Member
Looking for some tips for throwing downwind. I've noticed that I almost always get more distance throwing into the wind than I do with the wind. As long as the wind is under 20 I can get the disc to hang in the air a bit and carry farther than I can with the wind. The best description I can give for my downwind shots is that they seem to fly in a vacuum, very little glide.

I throw RHBH, consistent distance around 320-340 with a Surge SS and XL. My normal flight path is probably lower than most people which seems to serve me well into the wind but may be part of my problem throwing with the wind.

I have tried throwing higher and lighter discs but I just can't seem to get the downwind distance that I think I should. My best distance with the wind comes when throwing fairly low with a 168g Avenger SS, about 290-300.

So, any insights?

Throw a slower disc with a tailwind. Tailwinds make it harder for a disc to reach its cruising speed due to the air moving the other direction. I would guess you feel more successful into a headwind because the headwind is making the discs reach their cruising speed easier.

Okay. I have a leopard I can try. Do you make any throwing adjustments when throwing downwind?

in a tailwind your disc wont flip as much. so throw with less hyzer than normal. throwing in a tailwind also tends to make discs drop, so aim higher by a couple degrees.

and throw lighter discs.;)

Tailwinds will make your discs act more stable. Also, a tailwind putt will drop faster than normal, aim higher.

in a tailwind your disc wont flip as much. so throw with less hyzer than normal. throwing in a tailwind also tends to make discs drop, so aim higher by a couple degrees.

and throw lighter discs.;)

Tailwinds will make your discs act more stable. Also, a tailwind putt will drop faster than normal, aim higher.

yeah youll want to aim higher and throw with less hyzer.

:rolleyes:

tailwinds tend to make your discs more stable so it'll be harder to flip so you won't need as much hyzer. they also drop. so aim a touch higher

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

For a really stiff tailwind I like an Archangel. Hit it right and it'll sail forever.

If it's a quartering tailwind, (coming over your shoulder not at your back) you have to decide whether to ride it or fight it. I usually use my normal driver (Polaris LS) for this.

I carry full weight everything except for my dual purpose 160g Star Orc. This thing can boom with a tailwind and rock on long uphill shots. Keep it light and keep it barely stable and find a disc that you can do the same with.

What about nose angle putting with a tailwind, or say a headwind?

Personally I putt nose up with a tailwind and nose down in a headwind -- but I've also heard the exact opposite. Occasionally on shorter putts 20' and in I'll putt nose up into a headwind as well, aiming a bit low hoping for it to rise into the chains.

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone was making the argument that tailwind carries your disc and headwind pushes it down (assuming all nose-down putts). I suppose it depends on your putting style.

...Back to the OP's question:

I think the Valkyrie is a pretty good tailwind driver for max D, at max weight they can be a little beefy when they're brand new so something beat in or DX plastic might work well. Going lighter weight helps for sure, you can get more snap on them to keep it up in the air. Faster and heavier discs will tend to run out of momentum sooner because it takes more snap to keep them going. Anything understable is a good choice for getting more tailwind distance.

It was pretty windy today so I tried throwing several discs from the same place several times. Based on the advice given in this thread I disced down a bit and aimed a little higher than normal. Here are the disc's that I tried: 175 DX Roc, 168 Star Leopard, 163 Champ Sidewinder, 170 DX Eagle,169 Champ Banshee and a 150 DX Shark.

The Roc was by far the shortest but surprisingly the longest was the other speed 4 disc, the Shark. I threw each disc 5 times and the Shark was either the longest or tied for the longest every time. My throwing mechanics are not as consistent as I would like but I was getting pretty consistent results. The Leopard flew lower than I wanted every time and got a lot of distance skipping and sliding. The Roc dropped like a rock. The Sidewinder and Eagle both flew out to around 250' and just die. The Banshee was too busy fading left to worry about how far it was going. But the Shark seemed to sail in the wind and carry forever. Strange to me because I carry a heavier Shark for headwind shots.

Anyway I got pretty similar distances with the Leopard and the Shark with much different flight paths.

Personally I putt nose up with a tailwind and nose down in a headwind -- I suppose it depends on your putting style.

This is why I try to gun my puts. It takes most of the wind factor out of the picture. In the past I've had too many putts slapped to the ground by a gust.

Latest posts