• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TICK-ed Off

I've had that happen before. The worst! This might be a dumb question but is it possible to build a tolerance to poison ivy? I used to get it bad at least once or twice a year playing golf but the past few years I've just not gotten it. I'm playing the same courses and landing in the same ivy patches. Just not getting the old reactions.

As far as ticks go, I'll catch them before they dig in typically. A plus to shaving my head bald is that I really don't ever have a hard time finding or removing them if they do bite.

Allergies are not entirely understood by science. It is possible to build up immunity and its possible for the reaction to get worse every time. We don't know why. Personally I am not allergic to either poison ivey or oak, I've tested this several times. Sumac gives me a very minor rash that will come and go for weeks.

I got poison ivy once head to toe when I was a teenager. Havent gotten it since...knock on hard plant material...

Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac. I used to get it so bad as a kid I'd end up in the ICU. I haven't gotten it as bad, but the moment I do, I go to my Dr. and get a shot and z-pack. Mosquitoes used to be a problem, but I sprayed my bag down with permethium and it works to keep them away.

I am the lucky one our group that is not affected by poison ivy or oak. So of course when one of my highly allergic crew puts a disc in the ivy, I retrieve it and try to wipe off any of the oil on the grass.

That said, I tore my meniscus on a tee pad at Renny Gold a few years ago, re-inujuring the knee that had just been repaired 2 years prior.

I have been raked across the face by briars. I did not realize how badly til my buddies were "wipe that blood off your face".

In my early years of playing, I hit a tree with my follow through on my second shot on hole 8 at Castle Hayne. One of the best shots I had thrown at the time. I was so excited I didn't realized til my disc landed that i had split my finger nail half way back.

Other than chiggers, ticks, and mosquito's that's about it.

I got poison ivy once head to toe when I was a teenager. Havent gotten it since...knock on hard plant material...

I'm the opposite. I have played disc for quite some time and also spend a great deal of time outside for work, even used to landscape in college, NEVER got poison ivy. Guess what, over the past year, been getting it like it's my job. Bottom line, your immune system changes and so does your reaction to allergens like PI. If you guys aren't familiar with Technu, and have problems with PI, do yourself a favor and get some, it is a miracle.

Ive also had my fair share of ticks, sometimes even in tender areas hidden away from the light of day, but chiggers are by FAR the worst of the bunch.

I used to get poison ivy when i was a kid. Not anymore.

Some ticks. Im not very hairy so i almost always feel them crawling. Spent a lot of time in the woods as a kid, think i got used to feeling for them.

Bees! My oldest son got attacked by like a hundred yellow jackets. I got stung like 8 times. Youngest son (baby) avoided any. That was craaazy.

Oh and i have chiggers all summer long. Mostly from Trap pond. I always say i am not playing it and still go.

My friend said to spray my disc golf bag. I find ill get them in my armpit usually from sitting my bag down.

And i was stabbed in the eye by a branch at glow one time. I was able to drive fine, but not putt. Good thing we were playing wolf.

I used to get poison ivy when i was a kid. Not anymore.

Some ticks. Im not very hairy so i almost always feel them crawling. Spent a lot of time in the woods as a kid, think i got used to feeling for them.

Bees! My oldest son got attacked by like a hundred yellow jackets. I got stung like 8 times. Youngest son (baby) avoided any. That was craaazy.

Oh and i have chiggers all summer long. Mostly from Trap pond. I always say i am not playing it and still go.

My friend said to spray my disc golf bag. I find ill get them in my armpit usually from sitting my bag down.

And i was stabbed in the eye by a branch at glow one time. I was able to drive fine, but not putt. Good thing we were playing wolf.

Spraying your bag works well but be careful. If you use the 99% deet, read the label, in the really fine print it indicates it can break down some plastics.

Luckily I don't get poison ivy anymore. I've had lyme twice though.

The northeast sucks.

I got six 5's in a row once. Had to stop on the way home to get ice for my whiskey. Felt pretty good again in the morning.

Lyme disease is a beeyotch, I had it when I did not have health insurance. It attacks joints, and leaves you fatigued. I would sleep for 16 hours and wake up feeling like I did not sleep at all. Luckily, I have a friend with parents who live in the UK. He was able to get me amoxicillin and azithromycin, and I was able to knock it out. Very lucky. If left unchecked, it can turn into spinal meningitis, so I do not play around if one of my tick bite sites has the telltale red ring.

I've never gotten any ticks. I'm not sure what time of year they are most prevalent, likely the summer, and I don't play much in the summer, it's my "off" season. I live in SC and the summers can be brutal, tons of humidity as well. So I just avoid it all together. I'm also unaffected by poisonous plants, which is a blessing.

So the worst injuries would just be small falls, and a few scrapes and bruises.

We had a Oak Mite infestation at my local course this year..Terrible itchy bite, never had something itch so bad for so long..Very nasty little bug. Ticks weren't too bad, mosquitos were early because of the rain but went away as soon as it dried up. I used to be allergic to Poison Ivy, I was in it pretty good this year and didn't get it. I think my daily dose of local honey and apple cider vinegar is working.

I've never gotten any ticks. I'm not sure what time of year they are most prevalent, likely the summer, and I don't play much in the summer, it's my "off" season. I live in SC and the summers can be brutal, tons of humidity as well. So I just avoid it all together. I'm also unaffected by poisonous plants, which is a blessing.

Im still finding ticks in the middle of december. Its been nice, but still crazy! I thought they hibernated or something. Cant remember ever finding ticks this late.

They also look weird. Shaped different then I'm used to and very dark. Almost black.

Reading all this makes me feel fortunate. Here in CO we don't have ticks or chiggers. Occasional mosquitoes and poison ivy, but nothing serious. Seen a bull snake or two playing, but they're harmless.

If you're unlucky you can also run afoul of wasps, but that's infrequent. Overall CO is a good place to play if you can tolerate often lousy weather.

Dever Ticks are the worst. I didn't feel it til the next morning and got right to the doctor and got an antibiotic. I stopped it before it could start. I feel blessed. If you have a live Christmas tree then check it for ticks. Lyme is Lame...

Took my son to the hospital because his meemaw couldnt get the head out. Hospital said 48 hrs of it being in before treatment. No antibiotic for about 12 hrs. Strange how differently they treat it other places. Automatic antibiotics.

Every other friend i have has lymes around here too.

I was playing a Birdie Bash last June and went ass over tea kettle on a hill. I had a partial knee replacement that became unglued from the fall. I just had a revision done with a full knee replacement 1 month ago.
Happy to say that just this past weekend I went out and did a nice 1hr worth of field work. I had to change a few things up but it looks and feels like this coming year will be a good one.