• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TICK-ed Off

I was playing a Birdie Bash last June and went ass over tea kettle on a hill. I had a partial knee replacement that became unglued from the fall. I just had a revision done with a full knee replacement 1 month ago.
Happy to say that just this past weekend I went out and did a nice 1hr worth of field work. I had to change a few things up but it looks and feels like this coming year will be a good one.

Sounds great!

I know this is going to come off sounding like I'm an a$$, but haven't any of you ever heard of situational awareness.
You know you are going to experience any number of any of the maladies mentioned here when playing.
A small first aid kit, a towel, some type of bug spray doesn't take up much room in your bag.

I've had that happen before. The worst! This might be a dumb question but is it possible to build a tolerance to poison ivy? I used to get it bad at least once or twice a year playing golf but the past few years I've just not gotten it. I'm playing the same courses and landing in the same ivy patches. Just not getting the old reactions.

As far as ticks go, I'll catch them before they dig in typically. A plus to shaving my head bald is that I really don't ever have a hard time finding or removing them if they do bite.

I'm itchy reading this thread

From what I have read, PI reactions can in rare cases just go away, but the vast majority of people will see it get worse exposure after exposure. Your immune system ramps up a little more each time and histamine production increases. I seem s to get PI if I get within 10 feet of it these days. I also developed seasonal allergies when I turned 40. Doctor said its just the repeated exposure that finally tipped me over the edge.

We never had ticks up here in Ontario until the last 10-15 years or so. One of the many negatives of climate change. They were still very active in November

Latest posts