• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TIP Your TD

PhattD

Eagle Member
I am going to start doing this myself. If I have a good TD I'm going to leave a tip. I will do $5 per day but any amount will show that you appreciate the hard work. Tip you TD and the post here about it. :clap:

Only the tip :p

IMO real td's do their thing for growing the sport, bringing the community together, having a good time etc. A td who would accept a tip cant be good IMO.

Oh this should be good :popcorn:

Oh yeah, especially when you have comments like this:

IMO real td's do their thing for growing the sport, bringing the community together, having a good time etc. A td who would accept a tip cant be good IMO.

C'om on really? So if someone graciously offers an unsolicited monetary gift for your efforts you are going to do the most rude thing possible and turn them down? Take the freaking money and if it bothers you that much give it to charity.

they honestly may prefer a couple 6 packs of some premium local brewed beer.

i would personally feel awkward taking cash but i'd just be thankfully thirsty when given a couple tasty drinks.

I hope you don't have the same philosophy when it comes to the pizza delivery guy, waiters or barkeeps. :|

Just offer to pay for his lunch or something or if you all go out after a tourney pay for a few rounds. Tipping kinda seams ridiculous.

they honestly may prefer a couple 6 packs of some premium local brewed beer.

i would personally feel awkward taking cash but i'd just be thankfully thirsty when given a couple tasty drinks.

I am with Brall. I don't compete much, but I am heading up to a newly reistalled/redesigned course in upper Michigan. (McSauba) and the TD is the primary driving force for getting the course reistalled, building the course, organizing work parties and assuredly countless other headaches. Figured I would send an old cooler and a six pack his way. Not a huge gift, but it is the thought that counts, right?

IMO real td's do their thing for growing the sport, bringing the community together, having a good time etc.
Exactly. But.........

A td who would accept a tip cant be good IMO.
I don't get the connection here. Someone wants to voluntarily compensate me for a job well done and you think it's because i DIDN'T do a good job?

Turning down a fine craft beer for a hard days' work is just wrong IMO.

Last edited:
I am going to start doing this myself. If I have a good TD I'm going to leave a tip. I will do $5 per day but any amount will show that you appreciate the hard work. Tip you TD and the post here about it. :clap:

This has been brought up. I think handing him cash would surprise him and you may get a funny look. I might bring a 6 pack for a TD, but with my luck he would be a recovering alchoholic.

I hope you don't have the same philosophy when it comes to the pizza delivery guy, waiters or barkeeps. :|

Completely different beast. Waitstaff and others in the food & beverage industry as well as hair stylists, delivery people... earn a substantial part of their living from tips, and it's generally understood that a tip is par for the course. You show your appreciation (or lack thereof) for services rendered with your gratuity.

But personally, I can't imagine slipping a few bucks to the TD. For some reason, that just seems crass.
I like the idea of something else they'd appreciate in lieu of $$. Brew, plastic, a paid evening with a cute call girl... I can see these making a TD's day moreso than currency.

Thing is, most TD's are very into the game and fairly well connected with sources for good plastic. Chances are any plastic worth the few bucks you might slip them as a tip isn't going to put much of a smile on their face.

Last edited:

Dude. I've just read this post and you're last one in the thread " should tournament director get paid".

Have you ever than a PDGA event before? Have you ever ran any event larger than a weekly doubles event? You're comments come off as someone who is uninformed exactly how much time and energy is needed to run a quality event. You're right in the sense that a TD should be doing an event for the love of the game, but your stance on whether or not any compensation should be given to the TD comes off as making you sound like a tool. Perhaps in your opinion TD's should pay for the right to direct tournaments? I mean they're the ones putting on the event, why shouldn't they pay for the right to do so?

I would be careful passing extra $$ to the TD.
what you see as a tip, others around could mistake to be some sort of bribe...

I put in a ton of time running events, but I do it to better the sport, not to make bank. If you want to tip me, give me a beer and we'll be friends forever.

I've been a TD for a very long time and run some of the best events in Ontario. I do it because I enjoy it, not to make money. I do it because I enjoy seeing other people enjoy themselves; that's my reward. If someone handed me a tip I would probably first turn it down, and if they insisted I take it, it would probably end up going into the event somehow. Like others have said, bring me a coffee and I'll probably move you to a closer starting hole ;)