• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on Accuracy

First figure out the step you need (x, one, or none) depending on how tight the fairway. Then focus on the center of the first tight set of trees, visualize the flight path you need for after them trees (to add the right amount of hyzer/anhyzer) then focus back on the center of that first gap, and keep it low. Getting past that first gap is the important thing.

Smooth and slow, followed by rapid acceleration across the chest (if you are hitting your nipple, you are on the right track.) to the hit, with a clean and consistent follow through. Think of pull starting a lawn mower.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to improve driving accuracy. I have been playing a few more wooded, technical courses and am really struggling. Should I eliminated my run up completely or just step up? Should I practice throwing through narrow gaps at the park across the street? It seems like I hit every tree on the course. I just wondered if someone had some good advice on how to improve this part of my game.

I have been playing a little over three months. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Throw mids in the woods. Don't do the typical runup, maybe a couple of steps, like in the fairway. Playing in tight, wooded courses is what got me to drive with mids. As stated in a different thread, I'm at around 250' - 260' with mids now. :thmbup:

I often play disc golf the same way. I can get myself into a focus where I aim my putts at a spot about 10 feet away very similar to how a ball golfer aims hit putt at the break. I do the same thing with drives so that i'm focusing on my disc being at a height and angle that is 30ft away. If you are able to do this in the woods it can have great results.

Interesting.

I do this on everything but putts.

For some reason, my head can't wrap itself around how to aim, without aiming at a chain link. I can't visualize my putt effectively I guess to find an "airpoint" for it to pass through.

Thoughts?

Just pretend you are going to stand still and throw an easy shot to a friend. Your head and your toe is pointing towards them if you are throwing correctly. You need to see where you are throwing. When you add a run-up or steps to your throw you still need to have the same position final position. Your eyes and toes need to be pointing at your target.

it seems like when i drive, my foot lands perpendicular to my target line and then i pivot on the ball of my foot when i follow through. doesn't pointing your toe towards your target line take away from the power you generate in your hips?

Interesting.

I do this on everything but putts.

For some reason, my head can't wrap itself around how to aim, without aiming at a chain link. I can't visualize my putt effectively I guess to find an "airpoint" for it to pass through.

Thoughts?

I've never believed in the chainlink method of putting. My reason is that we didn't have any basket courses in Richmond until I had been playing for 6 months. I also played lots of golf at night without lit baskets. I basically putted at a shape or a blur.

it seems like when i drive, my foot lands perpendicular to my target line and then i pivot on the ball of my foot when i follow through. doesn't pointing your toe towards your target line take away from the power you generate in your hips?

to me it feels like a continuation of the power. It's all timing. The hip rotation causes the foot to rotate and point towards your aiming point.

Accuracy tips, particularly hitting gaps from the tee

It's only been 8 years, so I figure this is worth a bump.

I have several tournaments coming up on courses with lots of reasonable but tight gaps to hit off the tee. I need to hit these gaps with everything from putters to drivers, and on both forehand and backhand lines, and probably with some overhands thrown in.

I actually picked up some tips from this and other older threads, and have had some success even in a few practice sessions.

1) I've always done this, but it's reasonable on tee shots and off the fairway. I pick my gap, then the disc/shot for hitting said gap. When I hit that gap, things go fairly well. At any rate, the worst thing that can happen is missing that first gap, so that's my main priority.

2) This is something new I've been doing, and it seems from someone's comment about the brain not understanding "don't." I used to look a trees or other obstacles, partly believing that I would miss the thin tree, or that I could tell myself to miss a tree on the edge of the fairway that I was trying to miss. Now I will pick a spot on the ground in the distance (if uphill) or some distant trees/branches or other targets, and aim for that. So far, it's worked okay. There were many people saying to aim for a box in the air, but that just doesn't work for me. Also, I realize my form doesn't allow me to visualize the target as I throw. I just accept that, lay eyes on my target from the back of the tee area, and go for it.

What works for you guys/gals? How do you consistently hit your gaps?

I guide/push the disc to the apex I want to hit. It might be more of a feel thing but it works for me.

Before the throw I only focus on the air. I completely unfocus the trees and make them "non-existing". The only thing I see is the air.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If I have to hit a gap, I pick the slowest disc I can use for the shot, visualize the landing spot in my head but then focus on a point around 30ft in front of me I have to hit. After that, I just hope the disc (and it's flight characteristics) does it's job. lol..

I walk to my address and choose a point in the distance on the ground where I want the disc to land. Then I choose an object or spot in the sky way in the distance (anything that you can focus on. I often pick a cloud or tree that I couldn't possibly reach) that is behind the apex of the line I need to hit. Disc choice determines flight path and distance. Brain automatically adjusts power based on feel.

Accuracy comes from consistency. Consistency comes from form. Swing Centrifugally. Stay in Balance. Throw with your body not your arm.

One tip: I have found in hitting the spot is use the disc that can handle the slower speeds best even if the disc is faster then what others use for the same spot.

Examples: I use an Impact in most gap shots where most others might use a putter or slow midrange to hit the spot. Also I use a slight OS slower midrange at times to do tunnel shots sometimes Impact or Stalker where most others would use a putter or a slow midrange depending on how tight. Very tight tunnel then Impact as that is the straightest disc I have ever used with a almost not noticeable S flex to the shot. If not as tight or need to hit a very specific landing zone, then I use a Star Shark as it acts like a slight OS putter for the landing shot yet has a relatively flat flight until the end. The Stalker would be for long tunnel shots that go decently farther then the midrange/fairway hybrid Impact yet need control down a tunnel that is not super tight.

Last edited:
With the risk of repeating someone else, concentrating on leading with the elbow backhand, coupled with a closed stance on release has been a miracle for me. I'm hitting my lines almost always now.

This applies less to wooded holes with tunnel shots, but there's a reason the pros love to do a high hyzer bomb with an overstable disc when the layout allows, and it has as much to do with accuracy as it does distance. Overstable discs tend to have a fairly predictable pull to the left (rhbh). Once a player becomes really familiar with a particular disc's pull, it makes the mental calculation of the throw that much easier because at least one factor in the equation is well known. I used to think the most useful discs would inevitably be the most dead-center stable ones because you had more control over angle and line, but now I know that's not true. A stable disc requires more accuracy and consistency than an overstable one because it is way more sensitive to how it's thrown - accidentally add even a tiny bit too much tilt either way and it's going to be way off the line you wanted.

This can apply to tunnel shots, too, because a good player can adjust speed and tilt to make an overstable disc stay flat longer, or even finish right. They also might hyzer flip an understable disc, but I see these shots less often than the reliable overstable ones because, again, they tend to be less consistent and are sensitive to even slight changes in your throw.

I'd say the best answer to wooded courses with lots of tunnel shots is find the overstable disc that is within your ability to make it fly straight, and learn how much power you need to use to keep it flat for a range of distances. If you can do that AND still have enough power to reliably turn the disc over to finish right when you want to, you've really got something.