• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

You may be onto something there. I do like throwing "Eagles" and "Thunderbirds" and "Wraiths." TL3 just doesn't have the same ring to it. But the disc is SUPER good. Straight with minimal fade at fairway speed and distance - a really unique combination.

Some of us who love/loved the TL have no problem with the name. :thmbup: But it is what it is...

Some of us who love/loved the TL have no problem with the name. :thmbup: But it is what it is...

I don't have a problem with it. I just am admitting that to me there is something catchier about an "Eagle" vs. the "TL3". The DX stamp is killer though. My 6-year-old has a lightweight DX TL3 and that Teebird with the claws is awesome! I'd like to think he throws it as his main driver because he likes to throw the same molds as me but I think it's more because of the stamp;)

*TL3

I had the pleasure of attending a clinic by Madison Walker and Calvin Heimburg a few weeks ago and my free disc choice ended up being a Star TL3 after Madison recommend it. Super happy that I did because I love this disc for the woods! She even mentioned it was going to be her tour series disc for 2020 (maybe it's out by now?).

I had the pleasure of attending a clinic by Madison Walker and Calvin Heimburg a few weeks ago and my free disc choice ended up being a Star TL3 after Madison recommend it. Super happy that I did because I love this disc for the woods! She even mentioned it was going to be her tour series disc for 2020 (maybe it's out by now?).

Madison loves her bird discs - I'll be interested in seeing what she comes up with for the TL3. :thmbup:

I love/loved the TL, EL, and TL3, but there are plenty more bird names out there. Maybe capitalize on smaller species, eg Sparrow, Finch, or my current favorite, the Sallow. A nickname might be nice for it.

For those who may not know, the TL was the Teebird-L, one of the "L" series of discs along with the Starfire-L (SL), Firebird-L (FL), Eagle-L, Beast-L, etc. So they called it the Teebird-L and TL to keep the "Teebird" association and hopefully generate sales.

If at that time they'd named it something else, then we'd have the 'Sparrow3' or something instead of the TL3. Alas, that's not what they did, so we've got the TL3... and as Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name..." It's a great disc, no matter what we call it.

For those who may not know, the TL was the Teebird-L, one of the "L" series of discs along with the Starfire-L (SL), Firebird-L (FL), Eagle-L, Beast-L, etc. So they called it the Teebird-L and TL to keep the "Teebird" association and hopefully generate sales.

If at that time they'd named it something else, then we'd have the 'Sparrow3' or something instead of the TL3. Alas, that's not what they did, so we've got the TL3... and as Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name..." It's a great disc, no matter what we call it.

At least you didn't try to say they had a Leopard bottom.

Thats awesome I love the Walker Wraiths and been needing a cool TL3!

Thats awesome I love the Walker Wraiths and been needing a cool TL3!

I don't throw Wraiths but I did have a couple of her Thunderbirds from the previous year which were awesome, so I'm hoping for maybe a swirly or splatter star plastic because she mentioned she hadn't decided which plastic at that time.

And if anyone ever has a chance to attend a clinic with her and Calvin, or even only one of them, it's very much worth it!

TL3's are the bees knees.

I carry a max weight Star and a seasoned max weight Gstar. The bookends are a 168 Champ Leopard and max weight glow Champ Teebird.

This disc is versatile enough for finesse shots but also excels on power shots. Since it was introduced to me, I have recommended it to many golfers who have experienced favorable results.

This thing has been in my bag for a bit now too. I have a new star and a beat star. I don't even have a teebird in my bag anymore. I have a beat raptor or a thunderbird I have been using if I need something with a little more beef. Still loving this mold.

I've been throwing the Star mainly with a Champ as backup for windier shots. Such a great fairway driver.

I feel like the TL3 flies close to how Teebirds flew when I started playing. Now regular Teebs are beefier than a Big Mac!

I agree...I've thrown some older Teebirds and newer ones and I'm just like, WTF Innova? TL and TL3 are much better discs now.

I must have bought a weird one. My single experience is with a fairly gummy, flat, 168 gram Star TL3 that had a LOT of turn. Turned me off to the mold, but I've been considering trying a champ instead.

I must have bought a weird one. My single experience is with a fairly gummy, flat, 168 gram Star TL3 that had a LOT of turn. Turned me off to the mold, but I've been considering trying a champ instead.

I have probably tried 8 or so now and only one was flippy out of the box. The rest I can rip on pretty hard, but they just hold the line you gave to them. I also agree with them flying like teebirds did years ago.

If I'm throwing Star TL's and I'm perfectly happy with them, what would a TL3 do for me that would make me want to pull money out of my wallet? Other than I always have my hand ready to pull money out of my wallet to buy golf discs I don't need. :|

If I'm throwing Star TL's and I'm perfectly happy with them, what would a TL3 do for me that would make me want to pull money out of my wallet? Other than I always have my hand ready to pull money out of my wallet to buy golf discs I don't need. :|

buy a gstar tb or a dx tb

Curiosity, FOMO, maybe spite.

Latest posts